Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to run this problem down. 2011 Cruze 1.4T with 138k miles. The car is using alot of oil now, about 3.5 quarts in 3000 miles.. Never did that before

Here's is what I know so far:

No check engine codes.
Turbo replaced with used 9,000 mile one 3 months ago.
Valve cover was replaced for PCV about a 8 months ago, did not replace tube.
Cylinders 1,2,3 at 180psi compression. Cylinder 4 is at 150psi...concerning...
Lack of power... I did boost pressure check it and found 2 leaks at connection of intercooler inlet and outlet.

The throttle body has a nice pool of oil after a day of driving. Also it leaks oil from the intake at those intercooler connections. When I look at the PCV hole in the turbo inlet housing there is no oil there, doesn't appear to be PCV bring in oil, but I can't rule it out. Sure sounds like a turbo seal but it doesn't smoke at all through exhaust.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Whoever did your engine service did you a disservice.

Sounds like a couple of things including ring failure in number four.

What kind of oil has been used in this engine throughout its life and what kind of filter and oil change intervals has it received?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
A turbo seal would make white smoke like crazy.

Look for a check valve in the PCV port of your intake manifold. It's an orange dot on the back of that port the corrugated plastic pipe connects to. If that's bad, flooring it will make pretty big clouds of blue out the back.

Although it does sound like another 2011 cracked piston is on the way too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I can't blame anyone for the work done on it. I did all of the repairs. The car gets full synthetic oil changes (Penzoil/Valvoline) when the oil monitor gets to 10%. Filters were either Fram or the AC Delco Gold ones.

When I replaced the turbo, I replaced all the seals, oil feed line, and turbo nuts on the exhaust manifold studs even. I do have an engine endoscope and don't see any cracks yet on the piston in cylinder 4.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Unfortunately I can't blame anyone for the work done on it. I did all of the repairs. The car gets full synthetic oil changes (Penzoil/Valvoline) when the oil monitor gets to 10%. Filters were either Fram or the AC Delco Gold ones.

When I replaced the turbo, I replaced all the seals, oil feed line, and turbo nuts on the exhaust manifold studs even. I do have an engine endoscope and don't see any cracks yet on the piston in cylinder 4.
1) Are you the original owner of the vehicle?

2) What viscosity of oil have you been running?

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Sounds like a couple of things including ring failure in number four.
2011s can have cracked pistons. Mine failed in the mid 20k mile range. My car was way down on power and using/losing oil fast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started taking car of the car at around 90K miles, prior to that I was not doing the work on it. It has always been getting 5W30 from the records I see. Based on the records for the 90K miles that were put on it before I started taking care of it it was mostly full synthetic oil, but I did see a few oil change records for a syn-blend...still all 5W30's. Its the girlfriends car, so I'm not the owner, but am responsible for the repairs now since I do all my own work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.