Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Loud fan noise when idling, and slow to get heat

15K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Robby 
#1 ·
My wife is complaining about some issues with her 2014 chevy cruze. it has around 70,000 miles on it. She says that when idling the fan is very loud and in the mornings its taking much longer than normal to heat up than it used to. Frost this morning - sat in driveway for 10 minutes running and it was still blowing cold air.

I try to fix things myself so I was wondering if I could get some help on here based on the symptoms. Or at least lead into the correct direction.

#2 ·
Step 1 - Check coolant level. These cars leak coolant EVERYWHERE.

If that looks ok, the thermostat or one of the temperature sensors may have failed and sent the car into failsafe mode, which screams the engine fan to prevent overheating since the car isn't sure of what's going on.

#3 ·
Which fan? Interior or exterior? The Cruze is so gas efficient, it doesn't produce much heat. Crank up the inside fan too high, and it will never get warm.

As for the outside fan, there's any number of issues. Make sure the coolant is full and proceed from there.

#4 ·
What we are trying to tell you is the fan at the radiator should only run if the engine is hot or the A/C is turned on.

If that fan is running at all times, with coolant at the correct level, there is a electrical problem (assuming the gauge is not showing a overheat condition) that needs to be addressed.
This little engine tends to run rather cold and if the radiator fan is running all the time it'll never heat up.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.