Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, Ive got a loud noise/rattle coming from my engine bay that happens mainly when I put the car in gear, and I hear it when I'm backing out of my garage for example, It comes and goes, deal says its the "secondary vacuum pump and its normal" That BS for we don't know, and I had another cruze that never made this noise! The Noise sounds like its coming from the Cam Cover sensor area, almost like the timing chain is loose or something! IN the 2 videos I will post , the noise doesent start until I put the car in gear, I also have the e-brake on so I can get out and inspect while its in gear
Help!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I searched and searched the Forums trying to find anybody that has a noise like this and I cant find one, I'm the first for sure I think, also noise doesn't go away by pulling the dipstick or anything like that, and its not the water pump as I just had that replaced and the noise was there before that, also its not the a/c compressor..If anything, it goes away when its warmed up at bit perhaps...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last thing, I couldn't find the term until just now, the Noise sounds like its coming from behind the Camshaft Accuators..

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Find a different dealer. Yours isn't even bothering to look for the problem.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Your in Vegas and I can give you better odds . Give me $1.00 and I will give ya $0.50 back ..

Yeah what OB wrote . Could be anything that needs oil lubrication or anything that needs a Vaccum to function as designed . When IT Fails you'll find out .

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured this would be the responses since I'm the first person in the 5 year history of Cruzetalk to have these noises!

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
in cases of a VERY good dealer not finding a sound issue like that they send a GM trained engineer out to use his car stethoscope to pin point where the noise is and the cause. a good dealer will first consult them and go through proper diag procedures and if the tech cannot pinpoint they send out the engineer

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I figured this would be the responses since I'm the first person in the 5 year history of Cruzetalk to have these noises!
GM reps cruise the forums, too. I would at least open a dialog with one and see if you can get some corporate help.

Reactions: obermd

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
Definitely not a normal operating characteristic. It also sounds like one that's going to get worse before whatever part it is fails.

Every dealer has a superstar tech. This is the guy you want to talk to. Many of the service reps are just good PR people with average mechanical knowledge.

But definetly get it documented as you've done via this forum and YouTube.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Sounds like a heat shield resonating and since it does it only in reverse it gives my first thought credibility.

See if you can reproduce the sound at will by gently brake torquing it in reverse......if you can, then go demonstrate it for your dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your serpentine belt tensioner. Mine recently started making a noise like that, though not as bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to have an old chevy truck that made a harmonic rattle like yours every time I put it in drive or reverse. Dropping it in gear lowered the rpm's a little and caused the exhaust pipe to touch the frame. Too bad you aren't driving an old chevy truck pal. We would have it diagnosed. Good luck

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
I'm thinking idler or tensioner in the serpentine path. Is there any relation to the AC compressor being on (defrost, etc?)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No relation to a/c on or off, can make the noise either way... At first I though it was coming from near the alternator where that big spring tensioner is, but it sounds like it coming from behing the camshaft actuators actually,very loud in that area...

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Cruzen Vegas, have you taken it to a different dealership? This needs to be resolved and then you can start working on the poor fuel economy. The first step to good fuel economy is to have the vehicle in good mechanical condition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts