Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all I just started to notice this loud ticking noise coming from the top middle of my engine bay above engine block. I should have known something might go wrong when i had to go back to the dealer after my oil change becuase my air pressure sensors were showing that one of my tires had 25 PSI and the other 3 were at 34. Yes I checked that they put oil in the car. I always check everything out after I have any one else touch my car besides me. My engine has always been very quiet until now. I am not just being sensitive to the usual workings of the car. Something is causing this noise and I want to know what it is! Please listen to attached audio for more details. I have found a couple of other chevy owners who have posted similar sounds on youtube but there was no comments on their videos! if you have any ideas on wha this is let me know asap! I am bringing the car to the dealer in a couple days and would like to have some of my own ideas as to what the noise is to discuss with them so I dont get the usual bs back.

Thanks! AUDIO HERE!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMQ1yXaJ7o

·
Registered
348 Posts
mine is pretty close to that loud as well. i asked the service manager when i was in and while i dont remember his exact explanation it was something along the lines as thats how this motor was designed. i do believe there is a thread or two about this and they've all come up to be normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am pretty sure that's the sound of the Fuel Injectors.. My 1.4L sounds the same. Since the day I bought it brand new. Now have 7700 Miles, and still sounds the same. I run Full Synthetic Castrol Edge. Not Dexos approved, but been using it for years and LOVE IT!!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
when cold the engine will make more noise, if you fully warm the engine/oil it will quite down a bit. I agree with the others, sounds like the fuel injectors firing though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read what I can see to be all of the threads on the internet and these forums. I understand that it may be the fuel injectors, however my engine did not sound like this the first 20,000 miles I put on it. And now after an oil change at the dealer it sounds like this! I dont think so! I am not a mechanic but I know a few things about cars. I have been through a plethora of problems in the past with a variety of cars. I would just like for once for someone to tell me exactly what is making that noise. How hard is it! Sorry for the vent its just highly frustrating!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The audio doesnt get much clearer than that! there is a loud methodic ticking noise that simply was not there prior to the first 20k put on the car!

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
That's a combination of the loud injectors (ticking) and noisy timing chain (knocking).
The timing chain on GM ecotec engines has always been loud, even this newer 1.4T version. Think this one is loud you should hear the old 2.2 "eco-tick" when the oil was cold, sounded like a diesel engine.

A timing chain will always make more noise than a belt, but I prefer the noise to having expensive maintenance & possible failure of a belt.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,460 Posts
Lol, not a complaint, just saying. I much prefer a chain to a belt that may break at any time and destroy my engine. Seen it happen to way too many.

I've got to go rotate my tires. I'll shoot a quick video for you of what mine sounds like.

·
17,460 Posts
Honestly...your idle sounds a bit low.

Look for a loose oil cap or dipstick. They will cause a vacuum leak and cause the car to be confused about idle.

·
17,460 Posts
NOW I hear something else in that video when you move the camera to the back.

Hmm, that sounds like the timing chain making noise. If you can put your hand on the left side of the engine, away from the Ecotec cover, and feel for something knocking against the cover, that will help isolate the noise. Try a paper towel tube or pipe of some sort and poke around parts of the engine with it to your ear. This will help you isolate exactly where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an oil change done at the dealer 2 days ago and I always check my oil after. I rechecked the oil for a leak. Oil is clean and full.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The timing chain on GM ecotec engines has always been loud, even this newer 1.4T version. Think this one is loud you should hear the old 2.2 "eco-tick" when the oil was cold, sounded like a diesel engine.

A timing chain will always make more noise than a belt, but I prefer the noise to having expensive maintenance & possible failure of a belt.
My 2.2 with 70,000 miles is pretty quiet, don't recall hearing a ticking but of course now I will!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
It was 10*F when I started my Eco this morning after sitting in similar weather all night. The engine made a lot of ticking noises. Injectors, lifters, it sounded like a bunch of marbles rattling around in there. The cacophony subsided as the engine warmed up. Later when it was warmed up, it was its usual silent self.

It's not unique to this engine either. Our Fit's lifters can be heard from 30 feet away on a very cold morning. That car is also running the recommended full synthetic 0w-20, so it has enough oil pressure and flow.

My brother's minivan with the 3400 V6 sounds like death warmed over on cold startups. From the piston slapping you'd swear that engine was going to chuck a rod any second. Nope, it's a typical slap-happy 3400.

If those 20k miles were during warmer weather and the noises go away once the engine is warmed up, it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your car has noises that you think are not normal, find a friend with the same car or even go to the dealer and ask to start up and hear a Cruze running. If your car sounds like the others, although it may be louder than you recall, your vehicle is consistent with other vehicles. It doesn't totally mean this is right, but at least you know you sound like the others.

I had a similar situation this weekend. Started car with hood raised and heard all of the clicking and clacking. Lowered hood to the normal state, and now the car sounded "normal to me. In my case I am running 5W-30 Mobil 1. I am going to stick with a Dexos 1 approved oil for my protection.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts