Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 11/12/15 - Thanks to Chevrolet Customer Service and Bob Brown Chevrolet as well for their quick work. Water pump has been replaced and they're also replacing camshaft solenoids under warranty. Look forward to shopping for 2016 Camaro from Bob Brown.

Sure looks like it..Bought the car a few weeks ago.. 2012 Eco. Definitely have a smell inside cabin with heat on and I feel a little different after being in the car.. Lol.

Any part of car warranty cover what may need to be fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some times its hard to tell, unless its leaking bad enough to see coolant running down somewhere you may have to take it in for troubleshooting by the dealer. The water pump has an extended warranty that covers it for 10 years or 150K. A strong smell in the cabin would indicate the heater core to me but I haven't heard of the Cruze having a problem with that.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Start by looking for wet areas around the water pump side of the engine as well as the group of hoses near the top of the engine at the trans side.
If everything is dry, raise the level of the tank (once cool) to the assembly line of the tank....the area where the upper tank was attached to the lower tank, and moniter the level.
If the level stays about the same, you may simply have a bad cap or coolant surge tank.....we had many members find the tank venting and not holding pressure.
Since the air inlet is just to the rear of the tank, even if the hood to cowl seal is good, the HVAC system can still pick up the scent and pump it into the car.

As far as potential heater core......the complaint would be odor and window fogging as the coolant condenses on the glass.....you have not indicated such.

I'll stop at this point so you can perform the basics and report back.

Rob

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
There is an arrow pointing to the weld line between the upper and lower halves of the tank. This is the cold full line.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Sure looks like it.. Bought the car a few weeks ago.. 2012 Eco. Definitely have a smell inside cabin with heat on and I feel a little different after being in the car.. Lol.

Any part of car warranty cover what may need to be fixed?
Hello ChefBorOzzy,

I apologize for the recent concerns regarding your Cruze. I would be more than happy to look into this more, and get in touch with your preferred dealership. Feel free to send a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. I look forward to your updates and response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
In addition to what other have said, there was a lubricant used in the HVAC system that has a similar smell when hot. However, that would not be causing your coolant to disappear.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
In addition to what other have said, there was a lubricant used in the HVAC system that has a similar smell when hot. However, that would not be causing your coolant to disappear.
Definitely find the coolant leak first. Then if you still have the smell when running the heater you may have the HVAC odor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to Patsy from customer service and Bob Brown Chevrolet as well for their quick work. Water pump has been replaced and they're also replacing camshaft solenoids under warranty. Look forward to shopping for 2016 Camaro from Bob Brown.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
What was wrong that needed the camshaft selenoids to be replaced?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.