Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
It does not have a coolant level sensor.....so, beyond a visual there is no warning lamp for low coolant.
Bummer. My old ride had that and it saved me a few times. It always warned long before things started getting serious. Ridiculously simple sensor - just a wire stuck into the radiator tank. It had a few quirks, but never failed/lied to me. My biggest problem was moving it from the old radiator to the new one. For some odd reason it wasn't molded in to the tank but as a replaceable item that was never included.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took mine in yesterday for the quick visual, so I thought. Service guy comes back stating my water pump is leaking, causing coolant to be low. 2012 with just under 43k miles, sad!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Took mine in yesterday for the quick visual, so I thought. Service guy comes back stating my water pump is leaking, causing coolant to be low. 2012 with just under 43k miles, sad!
Hey USAFeco,

We definitely understand how frustrating unexpected concerns can be, but we are happy you are getting this taken care of. If you would like for us to look into the water pump information further, we would be happy to do so. We look forward to your updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will definitely do a follow up. I get the cruze back tomorrow morning once I get off work. Crazy question, but this should all be covered under warranty correct? Just don't want to get there and have a surprise bill.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
As long as it's the water pump it's covered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got the Cruze back this morning. Bill was $0, all covered under warranty. Did have a very upsetting situation though. Driving away from the dealer, kept getting a clunk while shifting (passenger front area). Turned around and headed straight back to the dealer. Go in tell them my problem, and they call up the technician that did my work. We walk out to the car, pop the hood and drops his head. He admits to rushing my job and forgot to tighten down the motor mounts, WTF!!!!!!!!!! He took the car to the back and fixed his screw up.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Just got the Cruze back this morning. Bill was $0, all covered under warranty. Did have a very upsetting situation though. Driving away from the dealer, kept getting a clunk while shifting (passenger front area). Turned around and headed straight back to the dealer. Go in tell them my problem, and they call up the technician that did my work. We walk out to the car, pop the hood and drops his head. He admits to rushing my job and forgot to tighten down the motor mounts, WTF!!!!!!!!!! He took the car to the back and fixed his screw up.
Never enough time to do it right but always enough to do it over. At least the tech admitted his screw up.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Never enough time to do it right but always enough to do it over. At least the tech admitted his screw up.
A mechanic forgot to put the nuts on top of the rear struts in my first car. Driving away, every little bump I hit the threads were sawing against the sheet metal holes they were in.

Man o man, almost nothing surprises me anymore! DIY FTW!!! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a leaking water pump and they replaced it in April 2014. It is just a year later and it is leaking again. I'm wondering if they solved the problem with these things or if they are just replacing them and crossing their fingers they get to the 10 year expiration period....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just had my coolant reservoir replaced by the dealer last saturday on my 2011 1.8L.

Coolant level was way below the MIN level, as in it was at the hose level. Mech said it had a leak, so they replaced it.

Good thing I have a 5yr extended warranty so everything is covered.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Dang it. Noticed yesterday had a puddle of something as I drove away from my driveway. Went out there this morning and notice another one since I parked in a different spot. Got my trusty antennae mirror out and looked up to where the puddle was and noticed coolant on the oil pan right next to the oil drain plug. Is this a sign of the water pump failing I am at 42,000 miles on my 2011 1LT and the dealer replaced the original water pump at 26,000 miles. Is there a way I can look at the weep hole on the water pump? I looked around and cannot get a clear view of the weep hole. Thanks in advance.

Also does anyone know how long the serpentine belt is good for I am thinking of getting a new one if they have to give another new water pump.

Noticed the coolant is a little lower too. And it is running so well after the ECU recall too. Glad I didn't plan trips this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced mine. I had a coolant odor coming from that joint, strong enough that I could smell it in the garage after shutting the car off. Now with the new hose assembly in place no more smell and, I hope, the end of my tiny "trace" amount of long-term coolant loss.[/COLOR]
I did the same in October after I saw a leak (And hadn't been alerted to this recall, but I was the 14801...) after reading another thread on this forum.

I observed the reservoir for a week and it seemed okay. However, I checked under the hood this week and my reservoir was about empty again. I scheduled at a dealer today, now that I am aware of N140417, from GM website, or 14417, as the dealer found it.

I hope they have found something on this recall, as I don't want to be scheduling every 3 months to have my 2012 Cruze Eco (Auto, 75k) have its coolant topped off...especially since there is no low coolant light inside the vehicle and it is easy enough to top it off myself. My fear is that as the engine gets low on coolant, it will run hotter and weaken the rest of the hoses in the car over time or something worse.

This is my first post, any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
I did the same in October after I saw a leak (And hadn't been alerted to this recall, but I was the 14801...) after reading another thread on this forum.

I observed the reservoir for a week and it seemed okay. However, I checked under the hood this week and my reservoir was about empty again. I scheduled at a dealer today, now that I am aware of N140417, from GM website, or 14417, as the dealer found it.

I hope they have found something on this recall, as I don't want to be scheduling every 3 months to have my 2012 Cruze Eco (Auto, 75k) have its coolant topped off...especially since there is no low coolant light inside the vehicle and it is easy enough to top it off myself. My fear is that as the engine gets low on coolant, it will run hotter and weaken the rest of the hoses in the car over time or something worse.

This is my first post, any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks
You have a definite leak somewhere. Most of the cars that loose coolant do so slowly - your's is a fast leak. Hopefully there's residue your dealer can find. If they can't insist they put the GM coolant dye in the tank after refilling it. Then when it leaks out again - check daily please to protect your car - just about any flashlight can find the leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have a definite leak somewhere. Most of the cars that loose coolant do so slowly - your's is a fast leak. Hopefully there's residue your dealer can find. If they can't insist they put the GM coolant dye in the tank after refilling it. Then when it leaks out again - check daily please to protect your car - just about any flashlight can find the leak.
Thank you for your response and I will follow your recommendation.

If this is indeed the case, has anyone else experienced this and know if this would be covered under the recall or at least power train?

The appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so I will be sure to update with any details I may come across in case someone else is seeing the same issue.

PS. I am also going to test the mix today to see if much water has evaporated and also for where the leak is.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Some components are covered under powertrain, others are base warranty or extended warranty.

Until diagnosed the question can't be answered.

Rob

221 - 240 of 270 Posts