Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2011 Cruze LTZ (49 000 KM) has had coolant leaks since day 1. Replaced water pump twice and I have topped up reservoir regularly. Last week my heater conked out and I called GM. The dealership found a leak and replaced part number 25193922. Apparently an air pocket was preventing the heater from working. So far so good. However, I am amazed at how much coolant has leaked from this engine from so many places!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a serious issue and do not know if it is related to this recall. About 3-4 weeks ago I was driving home at night and, I got the message "AC Off/Engine Temp Too High". The needle shot up past half way but then went back down. It was too dark and too late to do any visual inspection. I woke up the next morning and on my way to work,the same thing happened, except the needle went all the way to Hot. I parked and checked the coolant level and there was a dribble left in the tank. Finding it hard to believe that with my regular oil changes, that no one had noticed my dwindling coolant, I suspected a leak. I filled the tank and went in to work. When I left work for the day, I checked under the car for any coolant leaking on the ground and there was none. I checked the tank and visually was the same I had put in. I drove home from work and did not get the Engine Hot message and temp gauge stayed down. The next day, same thing and seemed to be running fine. Thought maybe it was a fluke and it just got low. About a week later, I had an oil change and replaced air filter. Paperwork they gave me with the visual inspection said coolant level ok. Well now, here I am about 13 days later and I am driving Friday morning and the temperature shoots up and the same AC Off/Engine Hot message, but now accompanied by a message stating my Oil Life is at 0%. I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and am sure they reset the Oil Life in Vehicle Information as they left it on that screen for me to see and I had to change it back to the Trip Info screen that I like to have it on. Mind you, I have been keeping an eye on my parking spot and there is no leak. This scares me now with the Oil Life indicator now on. Could coolant be leaking into my engine? Could this be related to the recall? Anyone have any insight into this?? I dont have the money for costly repairs. I tried to call around to the Chevy dealers on Saturday but most were closed. The one that was open was too busy to answer the phone and the girl took a message and no one ever called me.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
The engine oil life monitor is not an intelligent system, it is just a calculation based on mileage and operating conditions. I would say there is a high likelihood that somehow the oil life monitor did not get reset and that it has nothing to do with your coolant problem.

You should have your dealership check your water pump for a leak. A water pump leak is not obvious from casual observation as it is very hard to see down into that area.

Make sure you keep the coolant topped up and get the car into the dealer as soon as possible. The water pump is covered by a 160,000 mile warranty, so it should be fixed free of charge.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
I am having a serious issue and do not know if it is related to this recall. About 3-4 weeks ago I was driving home at night and, I got the message "AC Off/Engine Temp Too High". The needle shot up past half way but then went back down. It was too dark and too late to do any visual inspection. I woke up the next morning and on my way to work,the same thing happened, except the needle went all the way to Hot. I parked and checked the coolant level and there was a dribble left in the tank. Finding it hard to believe that with my regular oil changes, that no one had noticed my dwindling coolant, I suspected a leak. I filled the tank and went in to work. When I left work for the day, I checked under the car for any coolant leaking on the ground and there was none. I checked the tank and visually was the same I had put in. I drove home from work and did not get the Engine Hot message and temp gauge stayed down. The next day, same thing and seemed to be running fine. Thought maybe it was a fluke and it just got low. About a week later, I had an oil change and replaced air filter. Paperwork they gave me with the visual inspection said coolant level ok. Well now, here I am about 13 days later and I am driving Friday morning and the temperature shoots up and the same AC Off/Engine Hot message, but now accompanied by a message stating my Oil Life is at 0%. I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and am sure they reset the Oil Life in Vehicle Information as they left it on that screen for me to see and I had to change it back to the Trip Info screen that I like to have it on. Mind you, I have been keeping an eye on my parking spot and there is no leak. This scares me now with the Oil Life indicator now on. Could coolant be leaking into my engine? Could this be related to the recall? Anyone have any insight into this?? I dont have the money for costly repairs. I tried to call around to the Chevy dealers on Saturday but most were closed. The one that was open was too busy to answer the phone and the girl took a message and no one ever called me.
Until you got to the Oil Life Indicator issue I was thinking water pump, which is covered for 10 year/150,000 miles. It might still be the water pump if the Oil got cooked because of no coolant, but it's also possible you have an internal leak.

The water pump is a known issue with the 1.4T engines and can leak under pressure so it doesn't leave a puddle. You really need to get your car in for someone to look at it.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
The engine oil life monitor is not an intelligent system, it is just a calculation based on mileage and operating conditions.
This. Oil life is based on "usage", not on any kind of oil sensor. Unless the system zeros out the oil life for a overheat, I'll bet the oil place didn't reset things - they just left it on that screen to remind you to reset it.

However, engine overheat is a serious thing. I'd check the tank before every long drive until you git it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The timing was good for this thread to come up again. I did my oil change this weekend and I noticed that the coolant was down about half way. I took it to the dealer for a top-up. The service writer took a flashlight and looked around the engine for leaks and didn't say any. He said it was OK, and that it was normal for the level to fluctuate and that I shouldn't worry about it, and the engine was hot so they couldn't add coolant. The next morning I filled it to the full line myself. I noticed white crud on the o-ring, and I can see where the coolant has dripped from the cap down and onto the brake parts below the tank. They did the coolant recall about a year ago, but I don't know if they added any coolant at that time.

The tank neck is smooth, but the o-ring looks flat, and the cap is very easy to tighten. I think I will do the o-ring update Blue Angel mentioned here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/110049-fix-coolant-odors-coolant-loss-reservoir.html

GM needs to replace these caps. They are leaking.

·
FI Lunatic
1,379 Posts
Ok, mine now has this issue. At about 57k miles on my 2012 LTZ, started noticing the fan running and cycling a lot. Low coolant...topped off. Now, months later, I'm low again. Seems to be the slowest leak ever. No external signs of a leak. I'm thinking leak thru vent cap. I'm having this checked out asap. Will post up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was noticing a stumble on startup after the car sat for the night, so it was mentioned to the dealer on the next oil change. They looked no codes.

Coolant was down some, so they Found a leaking hose and replaced it at a cost of $63.20. plus the Oil change at $52.45

He did not want to diagnose the stumble told me to "Drive it till the light comes on"

At that point i started keeping an eye on coolant as i figure we got Hosed (pun intended).

It was using Coolant maybe a half liter per 1000km. But no light, Stumble worse almost stalling when cold if it was cold out.

Temp gauge always saying good. ( i now know its a **** hoax gauge)

We use the OLM to gauge oil life since the dealer suggested that, and it runs us about 10-12,000km to change. Never burns any.

It was slowly using more and more coolant. at 75,993 km it was returned, To me it was a failing head gasket, NO external leak, coolant smell when running, worst at startup. But i was told they had never done a head gasket on one yet (Nov 26/16), and it was just the pump as they had changed lots of them. Told them to Pressurize the system and if it leaked down to humor me and pull the plugs. Grabbed the rental on them and left. They called about 3 hrs later and said i was indeed right that coolant was leaking into #1.

Have it back, runs smoother now. Got it back at 76,000km on the nose lol. Still a dog under 2600 or so though, but CEL came on 180km later. Went back and its got a lean code, mech looked and poked and found a vent line not on right. Cleared the code.
Went another 40-50km and its back on again. I'll stop again today on the way past later.

They also replaced pulg #1 as it was cracked.

Its a 2014 1LT, We average about 200Km a day 7days a week. 7.4l/100 on summer tires, 8.4/100 on Winter tires. Gf loves it more then me i swear, i like too though.

Ended up here looking for the issues it has like the coolant loss thought i would add our experiences to the list here.

As a side note, our rez tank cap fits nice and firm.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just hit 90,000 miles on my Cruze Eco!!
Low coolant issue as well, stabilitrak warning, heat is intermittent.
Yep, no external leak at all.

Other than that the car has served me well.
So there is a recall on this?

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Just hit 90,000 miles on my Cruze Eco!!
Low coolant issue as well, stabilitrak warning, heat is intermittent.
Yep, no external leak at all.

Other than that the car has served me well.
So there is a recall on this?
What year? You may still have a powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's 100K or 5 years. I have a 2012 and my warranty ran out in June of last year. If you go to my.chevrolet.com and create an account it will tell you when your warranty expires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1.4L 2011 Holden Cruze is experiencing this problem. We've had the water pump replaced 3 times in 75 000km. Holden refuses to acknowledge this is a problem. Is the water pump in a 1.4 2011 Holden Cruze the same as the water pump in the Chevrolet? If so, is there anyway to prove it?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Checked mine again yesterday. One year since I last topped it off and the tank was down half way again. Visually inspected everything and no noticeable leaks. My engine is still as clean as new. Filled the coolant myself because last year when I went to the dealer they said the level was OK at half full.

Last year I swapped the o-ring for a new one that was the same size, but I also bought the larger one as well. I might try switching it to see if it stops. But, having to occasionally add a small amount of coolant is not really that big of a hassle. And, I already have a gallon of pre-mixed coolant just sitting here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2012 eco 1.4 turbo and I had the water pump change sept of last hear upper rad hose one week later. water manifold assy right after that. and just two weeks ago the thermostat. still have coolant loss and over heating problems.Let me just say That I had zero problems with the car till the water pump was changed under warranty in sept. since then the car has been using coolant I drive this car 100 miles every day to work and back so I have put the miles on the car and I'm at 131000 plus. car had been running find after the thermostat was change temp was ranging from 190 to 225. I been checking the coolant every day before I head of to work and It has been staying level in the surge tank. I noticed to day that the car got up to temp faster that it normal, so had a few alarm bells going off in my head and sure enough about 40 miles into my trip the read out shot up to 250 and the turn ac off idle the eng warning came on so I pulled over and popped the hood. coolant level was normal and car did seam not to be running hot. after a about 5min if that long the gage shot back down to normal temp and the car was find the rest of the way to work. let the car cool off and found the coolant was down slightly in the tank. so I topped it off and went about my day. driving home I had the eng light come on and when I got home I found that I had the p00b7 low coolant flow code active. would that water pump I had change in late sept still be a warranty item?????? or could the new thermostat taken a dump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A little more info. so the car only acts up in the am drive to work. on the way back home in the pm drive the temp runs normal the whole drive. 180 to 225. there is more stop and go so speed is down. for today trip to work I got the high temp warning and before I could get it pulled over to the side of the road the temp maxed out on the gage and the readout was 255. got the car pulled over and stopped and no sooner I did that it went back down to 190 and stayed there the rest of the drive. This has me scratching my head. bad sender maybe. short in the harness air pocket? anybody else have a such a problem. time for a c4 on the old eng block?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep water pump issues the same on Holden Cruze too. Hopefully the Holden model got the special warranty too. Mine is 100,000 miles and 7 years I think? It should last me as long as I keep this POS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like the air was not bled off the cooling system after the pump replacement. There is a procedure to properly remove air from system. Otherwise you probably would get hot spots is system. Frankly the whole Cruze cooling system troubles me with duel stage t stat, high temperature setting, and the repeated troubles with water pump failures. I have had three water pump failures and luckily all three were found before a complete coolant loss or seizure of pump. Otherwise more damage could have been done. GM certainly has a design problem and their only solution has been to replace the pump with the same pump, do nothing to remedy why they fail early and potentially risk major engine damage for customers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well got a week and a half ou of the car and one my way home the car just shut off going down the highway and speed. coasted over to the side off the road and tryed to restart the car. eng would crank but no fire. had a check eng light and tryed to check the code with my reader but got a unreadable code. called for a tow..... waiting for the tow I decided to play around with the fuses and relays under the hood. what ever one i pulled and put back fixed the no start. ended up driven it to the dealer and dropping it off to be looked at.infomed them of all my problems started after the water pump was changed. thet pressure tested and performed electrical test, test drove the car and could not find any problems. paid the bill and drove the car home. next day the check eng lights back on for the cat and car still using coolant.
So I;m to the point were I do not want to drive it.
could I have a bad head and the coolant is going through the exhaust and plugging the cat or maybe a turbo doing the same thing, whats really funny I just got a letter in the mail today talking about the lemon law with this year car
Or is it time to just bite the bullet and get a new car.

241 - 260 of 270 Posts