Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am not to concerned with a little cooland loss. the venting is normal on the modern car. All of my BMW's need a top off every year or 15000 miles with about two cups worth. They are twin turbos run real hot and vent extra pressure. My new jeep Grand Cherokee is doing the same and I can smell it venting in the garage. It took about a cup the first 12000 miles and there is no leak.

Now with that being said, when I drive my Cruze hard on a hot day and turn it off, I can hear the coolant boiling in the coolant feed to the turbo and the bubbles bubbling up to the cooland tank. This builds pressure and gets released to atmosphere (the water portion). This will always be the case on this car. If you make the seal stronger or install a higher pressure tank, it will crack. My fellow BMW friends don't complain this much about having to add coolant and maybe that is because the tank is black and not clear and holds way more than our Cruze. Now if the water pump is leaking, different story but GM has stated that seapage is normal with our style of pump.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I am not to concerned with a little cooland loss. the venting is normal on the modern car. All of my BMW's need a top off every year or 15000 miles with about two cups worth. They are twin turbos run real hot and vent extra pressure. My new jeep Grand Cherokee is doing the same and I can smell it venting in the garage.
My fellow BMW friends don't complain this much about having to add coolant and maybe that is because the tank is black and not clear and holds way more than our Cruze. Now if the water pump is leaking, different story but GM has stated that seapage is normal with our style of pump.
Maybe because you expect more maintenance to come standard with BMWs? :tongue: I disagree that loosing coolant should be considered normal on a modern car. BMW has had a long standing problem with this issue, and Chysler is well... Chrysler. It is called a 'closed' system for a reason.
And I wouldn't trust everything that is told to me at face value. 'Seepage' from a water pump is still a leak, which appears to have been fixed with the current water pump design. Why would GM redesign the water pump at least 3 times if they considered the 'seepage' normal?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello,

Please let me know how everything goes at the dealership tomorrow. I appreciate any feedback or update!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hey thank you for your concern! I dropped my car off bright and early this morning. My service advisor knew exactly what recall I was talking about with the coolant loss and they've put me in a rental 2014 cruze 2LT. He said they've gotta check it out and order parts (probably for the other things it's in for). He did say I may have to bring the rental back today or tomorrow and take my car just to bring it back again early Monday morning. How does this make sense? Will GM not pay for a rental over the weekend? I understand if they won't, but that's quite inconvenient for me as this dealer is about 30 miles from my home (best service and sales departments around). I've never had this problem before with any other cars but I've also never had this service advisor...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey thank you for your concern! I dropped my car off bright and early this morning. My service advisor knew exactly what recall I was talking about with the coolant loss and they've put me in a rental 2014 cruze 2LT. He said they've gotta check it out and order parts (probably for the other things it's in for). He did say I may have to bring the rental back today or tomorrow and take my car just to bring it back again early Monday morning. How does this make sense? Will GM not pay for a rental over the weekend? I understand if they won't, but that's quite inconvenient for me as this dealer is about 30 miles from my home (best service and sales departments around). I've never had this problem before with any other cars but I've also never had this service advisor...

Hey there,

Not a problem at all! I would be happy to look into this situation further for you, and discuss this more in a private message. Can you please send me one over with your VIN? Hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Maybe because you expect more maintenance to come standard with BMWs?
LOL!

David1 said:
All of my BMW's need a top off every year or 15000 miles with about two cups worth. They are twin turbos run real hot and vent extra pressure.
Our non-turbo 3-Series does the same. Dealer says it's normal, just bring it in for a top-up. E90 post members seem to be OK with it. It disturbes me... no car I've ever owned (all GM/Saturn coincidently) has has a "weeping" cooling system. Not even my Cruze (see below).

David1 said:
Now with that being said, when I drive my Cruze hard on a hot day and turn it off, I can hear the coolant boiling in the coolant feed to the turbo and the bubbles bubbling up to the cooland tank. This builds pressure and gets released to atmosphere (the water portion). This will always be the case on this car. If you make the seal stronger or install a higher pressure tank, it will crack.
I posted a video a while back showing the coolant boiling in the turbo after shutdown. It's normal (thermosyphon) and causes coolant to flow through the turbo after the engine is shut down to keep heat soak from the exhaust manifold from cooking the oil in the turbo bearings.

Since fixing the seal on my surge tank, my 1.4T is no longer venting or losing coolant. This is because the cap release pressure (20 psi) is now the system max pressure, NOT whatever lower pressure the tank to cap seal previously let go at. Now that I have fixed the flawed seal the system is holding pressure as it was designed to, and is no longer losing any coolant.

To top it off (pun intended :) ), I actually have my surge tank slightly overfilled which means it's operating at slightly higher than intended pressures. It's still not leaking or venting. It is designed as a closed system, it should (and is intended to) operate as such.

I don't buy into BMW's "logic" that a leaky cooling system is normal.

Here's a pic I snapped at lunch of my surge tank, which hasn't had the cap off since May IIRC:

image.jpeg

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Eddy,

Some dealerships do indeed charge for fluid top offs, especially if you don't use them for routine service. This notice to dealerships tells them to not do this for coolant.

To All,

The notice to dealerships specifically mentions that there may be air left in the cooling system after it is filled at the factory or after any repair requiring the cooling system be emptied. This is a valid concern - I have seen the procedures for filling the coolant system in the Cruze. There are multiple places in this cooling system that have local "high" spots where air will collect. While you drive the normal sloshing of a non full liquid container will bubble the captured air out of the system where it will eventually end up in the surge tank. This is normal and will result in the cooling system appearing to have lost coolant. N140417 only addresses this issue. It doesn't address the issue of the surge tank/cap not holding the cap rated 20 PSI. Sometime this past spring Blue Angel put a slightly larger diameter o-ring on his pressure cap and has reported no coolant loss since then. You can tell if your coolant loss is via the tank/cap interface by very carefully looking at the vent on the top of the tank. This vent points to the driver's side of the car. If you see reddish/yellowish residue or staining you are loosing coolant through your cap. If your dealership will do so, have them put GM's florescent coolant leak dye into your surge tank. The vent will then have actual flecks of this dye in it.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Actually if your Car is down more than two shop hours you should get a Car. Returning it for the Weekend is ridiculous and can't be enforced. Just don't answer your phone or say you had an emergency. I had a Dealer stiff me on a rental payment once but this is silly!

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Eddy,

Some dealerships do indeed charge for fluid top offs, especially if you don't use them for routine service. This notice to dealerships tells them to not do this for coolant.
In my over 50 years on Planet Earth I have never been charged a separate charge to top off fluids? It is either covered in the 'Shop Charge' or the price of the service provided, or just not done for free as promised. AND they might put water in as your only free fluid. Out of curiosity what have you paid for a fluid top off. Is there a such thing?

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
In my over 50 years on Planet Earth I have never been charged a separate charge to top off fluids? It is either covered in the 'Shop Charge' or the price of the service provided, or just not done for free as promised. AND they might put water in as your only free fluid. Out of curiosity what have you paid for a fluid top off. Is there a such thing?
Have you ever just driven into your dealership and asked for a fluid top off? I can pull into Ed Bozarth anytime and get free coolant, washer, and even oil top offs. Of course I have them do all the services on the car as well. This notice from GM allows Cruze 1.4T owners to do just this for coolant even if you don't have routine services done at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have you ever just driven into your dealership and asked for a fluid top off?.
No, I have never done that? Usually the free Inspection and fluid top off only comes with a paid service. As you know I am new to GM and have not been able to build up a long relationship yet, although the 4 times I have been there I received great service, superior service in fact.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I called a couple of area dealerships about this recall today, and they essentially told me all they'll do is check and top-off my coolant. I haven't had my Cruze very long, and haven't noticed any coolant loss yet. Should I still report for this recall?
This is NOT a recall and there doesn't appear to be a fix for anything. Just be aware of the potential trouble and make dealer aware if you are losing coolant.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is NOT a recall and there doesn't appear to be a fix for anything. Just be aware of the potential trouble and make dealer aware if you are losing coolant.
Looking at my invoice it says recall but it could be wrong

·
Registered
533 Posts
Low engine coolant level without an external leak - n140417

I just got my car back today. My invoice says it's a recall. All they did was top it up...
ImageUploadedByAG Free1408225507.409656.jpg

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Interesting - I didn't even get an invoice for this one. Maybe its because my dealership doesn't charge me for fluid top offs at all. I wonder if the word "RECALL" is simply hard coded into GM's system for any notice to dealerships.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Interesting - I didn't even get an invoice for this one. Maybe its because my dealership doesn't charge me for fluid top offs at all. I wonder if the word "RECALL" is simply hard coded into GM's system for any notice to dealerships.
I too am surprised this is a recall. I feel like this should be more of a TSB than a recall.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The reason for issuing this recall is do to a air pocket that is in the cooling system from the factory on all 1.4L ecotec not just the cruze it's worse on the volts because on the volts this pocket causes the 1.4L to go into limp and CEL mode

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
The reason for issuing this recall is do to a air pocket that is in the cooling system from the factory on all 1.4L ecotec not just the cruze it's worse on the volts because on the volts this pocket causes the 1.4L to go into limp and CEL mode
I can believe low coolant can put a Volt into limp mode. The engine coolant is also used to maintain the Volt's battery temperatures.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
21 - 40 of 270 Posts
About this Discussion
269 Replies
78 Participants
Ravenkeeper
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing