Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving along and noticed that my fuel gauge was pegged on empty. I looked at the DIC and saw that the distance to empty was "LOW". I stopped to fill up and the pump clicked off at 15.4 gallons. Historically, my light will come on when I have roughly 75 Miles to empty. The gauge and the range work, but no light and no "Fuel level low" warning. Even weirder, when I start the car, the low fuel light cycles through its test just fine.

Anybody have any ideas? I have noticed other strange DIC things in the past couple months that I posted about previously, but this one is quite odd.

·
10,711 Posts
So, I was driving along and noticed that my fuel gauge was pegged on empty. I looked at the DIC and saw that the distance to empty was "LOW". I stopped to fill up and the pump clicked off at 15.4 gallons. Historically, my light will come on when I have roughly 75 Miles to empty. The gauge and the range work, but no light and no "Fuel level low" warning. Even weirder, when I start the car, the low fuel light cycles through its test just fine.

Anybody have any ideas? I have noticed other strange DIC things in the past couple months that I posted about previously, but this one is quite odd.
Oh it's diesel section, gassers was low around 40-47 mile mark. What time of the day are you refueling?

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Run it down again and take it to your dealership so they can see this. With the other issues you've had with the displays I suspect your display cluster may be faulty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh it's diesel section, gassers was low around 40-47 mile mark. What time of the day are you refueling?

Sent from my iFail 5s
It was in the middle of the day.

Run it down again and take it to your dealership so they can see this. With the other issues you've had with the displays I suspect your display cluster may be faulty.
Yay, fun for me since I am way out of warranty due to miles. But I think you are right on the money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yay, fun for me since I am way out of warranty due to miles. But I think you are right on the money.
Thats a lot of miles.. Lol. I would vote faulty cluster as well.. Might be pretty expensive without the warranty

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a lot of miles.. Lol. I would vote faulty cluster as well.. Might be pretty expensive without the warranty
Yeah I would imagine a repair like that would be $1K at the dealer. I am pretty sure there aren't any used ones on the market yet.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It's the labor that will get you. The instrument cluster itself is reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a user-swappable item or do you need to reprogram it?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diesel........................did your low fuel warning an light sort it self out??
I have been getting particularly good fuel economy lately so I am not low enough by my typical stops to see the light. I should know again in a couple days if it works the next time.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I always fill up at the first opportunity when the gauge is under the 1/4 mark in 2 years I have never had the warning light come on, or for that matter in the previous 10 years in my Commodore.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the next time I had low fuel, I was notified and the light worked. I wonder if it was a one time fluke.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I always fill up at the first opportunity when the gauge is under the 1/4 mark in 2 years I have never had the warning light come on, or for that matter in the previous 10 years in my Commodore.
I agree, no reason what so ever to take the tank that low and risk running out of fuel. You never know if there is a traffic jam just over the next hill and you will be sitting for hours in 90F+ temps where AC is required or below freezing and need heat.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
So, the next time I had low fuel, I was notified and the light worked. I wonder if it was a one time fluke.
I suspect OE. Well, not because the low fuel light didn't go on, but because you came within 30 miles of running out of fuel! I mean, who doesn't look at their fuel gauge when they get in the car? This should be one of your pre-flight check items.

Not only that, but you knew you hadn't filled up in a while. It's not like these cars go from full to empty in 300 miles. You have to at least be partially aware of your fuel consumption, right? RIGHT??? Honestly, it's not like anybody driving a diesel Cruze should ever be surprised when it's time to fill up. As soon as that gauge hits 1/4 tank, I am all up in it's business. It's taken me half a year to relax and let it slide a little. lol

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I get nervous when my Dic gets near 100k till empty, I usually don't let it get that far.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suspect OE. Well, not because the low fuel light didn't go on, but because you came within 30 miles of running out of fuel! I mean, who doesn't look at their fuel gauge when they get in the car? This should be one of your pre-flight check items.

Not only that, but you knew you hadn't filled up in a while. It's not like these cars go from full to empty in 300 miles. You have to at least be partially aware of your fuel consumption, right? RIGHT??? Honestly, it's not like anybody driving a diesel Cruze should ever be surprised when it's time to fill up. As soon as that gauge hits 1/4 tank, I am all up in it's business. It's taken me half a year to relax and let it slide a little. lol
Oh, I had already calculated how far I could go and was planning on the particular fuel stop, so that was all covered. It was just alarming that the warning never came up. I do err on the side of caution as well.

Understanding that I have put 74K miles on my car in just over a year and I HATE fuel stops, naturally I like to stretch as far as I can.

·
10,711 Posts
Oh, I had already calculated how far I could go and was planning on the particular fuel stop, so that was all covered. It was just alarming that the warning never came up. I do err on the side of caution as well.

Understanding that I have put 74K miles on my car in just over a year and I HATE fuel stops, naturally I like to stretch as far as I can.
This is how us gas cruzers got our hyper badges. I did this for quite some time to get farthest tank. Normal ECO 6mt tank usually only last about 300 miles unless you trickle filled. I'm usually paranoid about the fuel level but I could also understand how someone could get in and skip checking it because of the needles zeroing out sequence.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
This is how us gas cruzers got our hyper badges. I did this for quite some time to get farthest tank. Normal ECO 6mt tank usually only last about 300 miles unless you trickle filled. I'm usually paranoid about the fuel level but I could also understand how someone could get in and skip checking it because of the needles zeroing out sequence.

Sent from my iFail 5s
Exactly the same for me. I stretch mine as far as I can and typically get 6-700kms out of a tank ( I don't trickle fill ). To bring up old news I wish they had just put the regular fuel assembly in the ECO. So stupid.

·
10,711 Posts
Exactly the same for me. I stretch mine as far as I can and typically get 6-700kms out of a tank ( I don't trickle fill ). To bring up old news I wish they had just put the regular fuel assembly in the ECO. So stupid.
If they were so eager to dump weight, give us CF body panels and bride seats. We could be Tuner Ready vehicles then :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts