Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be looking this afternoon at an eco cruze on the lot. Which has the same/similar front grill, air dam and airflow shutters as the diesel Crze. Clearance was 6-7" with the vehicle unoccupied.
I don't know how that front end is supposed to withstand snow drifts, chunks of ice on the road that have dropped from wheel wells. Or the berm of hard frozen snow the snow plough pushes across lanes of traffic or across the end of the laneway .
The factory front grill i$ going to get $ma$hed to bit$.
The there a bull bar, Roo Bar or something on the market for some protection ?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
i somehow managed to commute over the rocky mountains every month for 3yrs 400 miles each way in a miata, which was lower

i somehow manage to continue this in my diesel cruze

i somehow manage to drive the 15 mile logging road that i live on with the cruze as well

car will be fine

the paint will be trashed by all the stones being thrown up at it...trying to find time to fix the paint and clear bra b4 winter number 2, they dont make the paint like they used to.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sidewalks and parking curbs are a much bigger problem. We have to constantly remind ourselves not to pull all the way in parking spaces because it will destroy the lower air dam. We have driven in 2 Colorado winters without a problem.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I've driven my Cruze for two winters in Denver, and a couple of decades before that a Fiero GT for several winters in Colorado Springs and never had any problems other than curbs and parking lot entrances.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Driven my lowered eco in the last winter and it wasn't bad. My lip is only 4 in off the ground aswell. Took the top off a few snow banks lol but its not bad. You do have to watch the parking lot blocks tho. I have drug my lip on them a few times... it's not fun. And as far as I know there is no push bar for the cruze... yet

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My Lancer GT was an inch higher off the ground than my ECO MT and it was horrible in the snow. Ice would build up in the wheels and literally throw them out of balance. I haven't had that issue with my ECO. The ECO can also slide right over snow that would have high centered the Lancer.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Sidewalks and parking curbs are a much bigger problem. We have to constantly remind ourselves not to pull all the way in parking spaces because it will destroy the lower air dam. We have driven in 2 Colorado winters without a problem.
ditto

im constantly driving over the parking blocks

do not feel it pulling in.

pulling out, here comes the scraping sound.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
ditto

Saw a Cruze at the dealer body shop last week.....entire facia on the ground.
Seems the guy got far enouph over the parking curb to hook the lower edges and when he backed out......RRRRRRRIIIIIPPPP!

Facia laying on the ground....plastic rivet bits cast about.

Might want to keep that in mind while pulling in.....a foot short of the curb is my comfort zone.....or back in.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
ditto

I've never figured out how this happens but I've done the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We always back into park. I have no idea why people drive in head first. Then blindly try to back out into traffic.
Bad enough in a parking lot but to watch drivers trying to back out from their driveway onto a busy street then change direction?
The other safety issue . We don't here tell of drivers running over children on driveways or sidewalks when driving forward. The tragedies occur while driving in reverse.

·
10,713 Posts
Yeah I scare myself when I park this close to the slab but don't want my rear end clipped again from another hit & run. This is in situations where back in will cause an accident or it's a 1 way lot with angled slots.

It is stronger than you think it is. This is actually ice, not snow. Both those eco wheels and the one on the front left got replaced.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
We always back into park. I have no idea why people drive in head first. Then blindly try to back out into traffic.
Bad enough in a parking lot but to watch drivers trying to back out from their driveway onto a busy street then change direction?
The other safety issue . We don't here tell of drivers running over children on driveways or sidewalks when driving forward. The tragedies occur while driving in reverse.
I've actually seen places with 90 degree (not slanted) parking post signs banning backing in to spaces. Anyone who has ever driven a trailer knows that you pull through to the front spot.

·
10,713 Posts
I've actually seen places with 90 degree (not slanted) parking post signs banning backing in to spaces. Anyone who has ever driven a trailer knows that you pull through to the front spot.
In someplace it's illegal to back in parking. When I lived near Landmark mall in Va, there was an ordinance plastered on the front of business like 7 eleven saying head in parking only. I back in unless this sign, the slots are angled making it 1 way traffic or you have cars behind you that will pull in extra close when you try to back in the spot. 10 years ago I would have picked a fight with that person preventing me from backing and hoping I would give up and pull away.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I've pulled lots of trailers in my life, probably two dozen plus different ones over probably 30,000 miles. Very rarely have I driven one, but when I have, it usually doesn't end well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
I take mine on dirt roads, off dirt roads, and up and over curbs to park pretty often. Have yet to damage anything; really only sits maybe an inch taller than an Eco.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I take mine on dirt roads, off dirt roads, and up and over curbs to park pretty often. Have yet to damage anything; really only sits maybe an inch taller than an Eco.
Yer not part of dat Really Sexy club, -J. You can get away with typical donk-like activities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts