Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the LE2 Turbo so subjected to LSPI events.
I was wondering how to know if you've had or are having one?
Is there any noise associated with the event like way pack when unleaded gas
first came out there was a distinctive pinging sound.
I would think that if there is ignition before the piston is at the top of it's stroke
that it may create a load bang? Or can you tell by the gas peddle that something
is not right?
It's kinda scary to think that there is nothing to let you know this has happened or is happening.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might have engine noise or rough idle.

You having symptoms even after tune?
No I am just wondering if It does happen will I know it or is it a silent engine killer?
The rough Idle part would be after the damage is done, I'm more concerned with at that moment.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I know there were some changes made to pistons and such, after either the 2016 or 2017 model years. Have we seen any confirmed instances of LSPI in the 2018's yet? and better yet, AFTER a tune?

·
Registered
137 Posts
No I am just wondering if It does happen will I know it or is it a silent engine killer?
The rough Idle part would be after the damage is done, I'm more concerned with at that moment.
I too am wondering how to tell if your’re having an LSPI event. 80%+ of my driving is short around town errands and trips. There are times when going 30/35 and trying to pick up a little speed the engine just seams to lug along unless you punch in the accelerator. There’s no noise or anything just no get up. If these are true LSPI events then I think I’m doomed to crack a piston. I only have 3,400 miles on my 2017 LT since purchasing it in November last year. Any ideas? (Yes I’m using 93 Octane and can only assume the dealer put in the correct oil on the first free change).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am wondering how to tell if your’re having an LSPI event. 80%+ of my driving is short around town errands and trips. There are times when going 30/35 and trying to pick up a little speed the engine just seams to lug along unless you punch in the accelerator. There’s no noise or anything just no get up. If these are true LSPI events then I think I’m doomed to crack a piston. I only have 3,400 miles on my 2017 LT since purchasing it in November last year. Any ideas? (Yes I’m using 93 Octane and can only assume the dealer put in the correct oil on the first free change).
Exactly, dealer did my free oul change first of 2 but I think I will take care of it on my own from now on and use Amsoil.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know there were some changes made to pistons and such, after either the 2016 or 2017 model years. Have we seen any confirmed instances of LSPI in the 2018's yet? and better yet, AFTER a tune?
Yes it seemed limited to the 16.5 and 17's at some point during the 2017 production I heard GM went with a better piston. Supposedly all the 18's have them, this remains to be seen. But I have heard of not a single confirmed 18 piston failure due to LSPI, fingers crossed as it may still be to early to tell for the 18's.
If they started selling them lets say Late Sept early Oct that's about 9 months the failures seemed to happen starting at around 17K so we are probably just getting into the time frame that we may start to see them.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
AMSOIL really is your best defense against LSPI on these engines. If you're not running it now, even the OE or XL, you really ought to consider it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can get you set up. We have the following that all have exceptional protection against LSPI:

OE 5W-30, for OEM drain intervals: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...synthetic-motor-oil/?code=OEFQT-EA&zo=5224266

XL 5W-30, for 12k mile/1 year drain intervals: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...synthetic-motor-oil/?code=XLFQT-EA&zo=5224266

Signature Series: for 15k mile severe/25k mile normal/1 year service intervals, and the best protection in hard driving and tuned conditions: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ASLQT-EA&zo=5224266

We also have a 15k mile filter that fits the Gen2: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...il-ea-oil-filters/?code=EA15K50-EA&zo=5224266

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Yes it seemed limited to the 16.5 and 17's at some point during the 2017 production I heard GM went with a better piston. Supposedly all the 18's have them, this remains to be seen. But I have heard of not a single confirmed 18 piston failure due to LSPI, fingers crossed as it may still be to early to tell for the 18's.
If they started selling them lets say Late Sept early Oct that's about 9 months the failures seemed to happen starting at around 17K so we are probably just getting into the time frame that we may start to see them.
LSPI is not about pistons, but about tuning and engine oil. Improving pistons won't do anything in these instances. The forces are so violent that they will still cause damage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a '15 with the 6mt, now a '18 with the 6mt and I can tell you the '18 is geared way higher, whereas the 15 would be 2600 rpm @ 60 the 18 is like 2000 rpm @ 60. The 18 feels like it has LESS torque than the 15, which makes it easy to lug the motor where it is not happy. Exactly what you don't want to do - pre ignition. Heck, the upshift light might to go from 5-6 doesn't happen till about 60 mph. The 15 would say 45 mph. All I can say is that now on the 18, 6th gear really is an overdrive. Its like if the 15 had a 7 sp.

On a side note, one thing I did not know until I read the manual - shift away with the cruise control on! Don't know if that worked on the 15 but I never tried. And... this thing has some kind of hill assist where it will not roll backwards (for a second or 2) - no mention of this in the manual however.

jk

edit - 2K rpm on the 18 is actually closer to 65 mph, in any event about a 500 rpm difference between the 15 and 18 per gear.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Unfortunately, their efforts have proven to be lacking. I have a buddy with a 2016 Malibu 2.0T that just had the engine replaced due to a blown piston caused by LSPI running...you guessed it, Mobil 1.

There is a big difference between simply meeting dexos1 gen2 specs, which still allow 4 LSPI events to occur during the duration of the test, and outright claiming that your product allows ZERO LSPI events in the same test across 5 consecutive test runs. Mobil 1 doesn't make any such claims.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, their efforts have proven to be lacking. I have a buddy with a 2016 Malibu 2.0T that just had the engine replaced due to a blown piston caused by LSPI running...you guessed it, Mobil 1.

There is a big difference between simply meeting dexos1 gen2 specs, which still allow 4 LSPI events to occur during the duration of the test, and outright claiming that your product allows ZERO LSPI events in the same test across 5 consecutive test runs. Mobil 1 doesn't make any such claims.
I agree
The only oil that Claims Zero LSPI events
Is Amsoil, whether is OE, XL, or The Signature Series.
One reason I suspect is Mobil 1 and all the "Full " synthetic oils have a much lower ignition point that the 100% Synthetic Amsoil product.
I never realized there was a differance by just looking at the label Full synthetic 100% synthetic what's the differance?
Full Synthetic oils are made from a lower grade of the crude oil that is not really synthetic were Amsoil ia made from the higher end that is truly synthetic and wont flash as easy see the Video

https://youtu.be/Y-qP9npp1gg
https://youtu.be/NCT24nozMYM

Mobile 1 actually test out as the worst in this video
https://youtu.be/g3y-1lxMTxE

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
I have had the car cough, rattle, and then have absolutely zero power for a second. I think those have been LSPI events. The handful of times it's happened, I had tried 87/89 octane and was running the dealer Dexos 1 oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Valvoline new modern engine synthetic addresses the lspi issues with proven testing in the GDI turbo engines . Marketed since May .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had the car cough, rattle, and then have absolutely zero power for a second. I think those have been LSPI events. The handful of times it's happened, I had tried 87/89 octane and was running the dealer Dexos 1 oil.

I'd go to 91 octain and get rid of the dealer oil. That's what I did as precautionary action.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
I'd go to 91 octain and get rid of the dealer oil. That's what I did as precautionary action.

Lol, done ~2 years ago. Been well behaved since.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts