Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have had this issue since I bought my 2014 Cruze. At relatively low speeds (under 25 MPH) I can hear a fast clunking noise coming from the right rear wheel when hitting potholes or bumps. Just as if the wheel was going up and down constantly. I know this is a common issue but from what I read no one has come up with a fix. Dealer already replaced right rear shock absorber but that didn't solve my issue. Could it be the rear trailing arm bushing. These days have been much colder and I know bushing tend to get hard in cold temperatures. I have been hearing the clunk louder lately.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Mine does this in the cold too, and goes away in the summer. It's the plastic clip holding the inner wheel well on. Look on the other side of the passenger rear tire, slightly towards the rear of the tire. You will see it head on near the bottom of the wheel well. The clunking sound is the piece of plastic sliding and hitting this clip. Even if this clip feels tight when you check it out, it might not be tight enough when you hit bumps and potholes, like you are experiencing.

As for a fix, you can replace the clip with a new one. Hardware stores like Ace or Hardware Hank usually carry generic clips. Or you can try putting some RTV sealant on it to see if it'll quiet down (but still keeps it removable).

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I've had this same clump since I bought her in 2011. I thought it was due from the coilovers however I did notice it even before I installed DGRs kit. This winter I will be looking over suspension as I will have her jacked all season. I will keep u guys posted on a clip or whatever we come up with.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Eddy Cruze reported his dealership put his car on a lift via the jack points, loosened the suspension bolts, then lowered the car to the rack and retightened the bolts. No more noise. This make sense to me as the suspensions are installed and secured while hanging from the car vs. the car sitting on the tires.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Have a picture you could show me ? So I can finally fix it :)
It's not the best picture because it's dark out, but here. You should be able to spot it right away once you look at it. I can reach my hand back there and freely move the plastic wheel well liner around since this clip is the only thing holding that side down. Giving it some taps and jostles makes virtually the same sound I hear in the winter. As for a fix, I'm probably going to try to squeeze a nylon or rubber washer between the plastic and the head of the clip to snug up the fit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice the plastic liner could be moved a lot (and was noisy) compared to the driver side. It even hits easily one of the strut bolts. I'm gonna give this a try hoping it can fix it. Still love my Cruze though haha. thanks for your help :)

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
All suspension bolts were retorqued at the dealer when they changed the strut. Today I removed the entire plastic wheel and test drove the car. Noise is still there again :( any other idea guys ?
Did you see them loosen and retorque all suspension bolts while the suspension was under load?? Or they just told you that they did?? I learned many times in the past not to trust what the service department tells you.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Did you see them loosen and retorque all suspension bolts while the suspension was under load?? Or they just told you that they did?? I learned many times in the past not to trust what the service department tells you.
How many Dealer repairs do you get to watch? I love those Dash Cam videos of Mechanics doing nothing. In my case they just told me what they did as I was in a Rental Car. Seemed to work just fine for me!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw what they did they made sure all the bolts were tight while the car was on the lift. They also replaced the rear passenger strut which changed nothing (noise was still there). They didn't even test drive the car to make sure the noise was gone. So Eddy Cruze you are telling me that they torqued all bolts suspension bolts while your Cruze was on all four tires right ?

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I saw what they did they made sure all the bolts were tight while the car was on the lift. They also replaced the rear passenger strut which changed nothing (noise was still there). They didn't even test drive the car to make sure the noise was gone. So Eddy Cruze you are telling me that they torqued all bolts suspension bolts while your Cruze was on all four tires right ?
Yes
Text Font Document Paper

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Thank you ! If you don't mind I will print and show your repair order to the tech next time I'm in for an oil change :)
No that is why I posted it! I had the horrible noise since day two and really didn't think they would fix it as the first mechanic tried to craft his own part which was creepy. The Mouse Ears don't lie and some other mechanic got the Car next and knew what to do!

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Same here the noise has been there since the car came of the lot. I'll mention it to the service advisor and show him your repair order at my next oil change :)
Thank you! We all learn from each other yet it can be a tough crowd here, at least for me. I find these AG sites to be a wealth of information although I have never been as publically humiliated as at this forum, sometimes by those who are in charge?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you very much for posting that. I too am having the same issue. I will print this out to show the service department at my dealership. The noise is very annoying and even my passengers have commented on it. It makes the car sound poorly built.

I also noticed they put on there the low coolant level with no external leaks. Was this related to the recent service advisory sent out to owners about the air in the line from the factory causing a drop in levels?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.