Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a low tire pressure light and my 2012 Cruze LT thinks that the RF, RR and LR tires are low (28lbs of pressure). I have filled them up to 35 lbs and the low tire pressure light is still on. Anyone else having problems with this? It seemed to happen after the first day of cold weather in Missouri and has not gone away for a month.

I'm on my 2nd set of tires and the car has around 70k miles on it. The new tires were put on over a year ago.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I have filled them up to 35 lbs and the low tire pressure light is still on.
How far have you driven since the fill up? The display is not real-time.

The other thought is to check what's supposed to happen when the batteries get low. A low battery will get worse in the cold. It's probably a light and code of some kind, possibly confused with "low pressure".

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
You mean the lights been on for a month after you aired the tires, or the lights been on a month and you aired the tires today with no change?
BTW....you loose 1 psi for every 7 degree drop in temperature (slightly variable...rubber tire) as well as natural loss from time.....that's why you should get in the habit of checking monthly.

If your light stays on for hours after airing up you should first have the sensors 'Relearned' by your dealer or tire store.....usually a "no charge' service......this proceedure forces the moniters to 'Wake up' and report.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
When the monitor fails, either electronically or from its internal battery dieing, the Cruze will display 'Service TPMS' and the low tire lamp will illuminate.
If you scroll to the tire readout, the non functioning monitor will be shown as a line of dashes with no readout at that wheel position.

Rob

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
When the monitor fails, either electronically or from its internal battery dieing, the Cruze will display 'Service TPMS' and the low tire lamp will illuminate.
If you scroll to the tire readout, the non functioning monitor will be shown as a line of dashes with no readout at that wheel position.

Rob
It should also be noted that if you rotated your tires, the sensor reading on the dash may not correspond with the malfunctioning wheel sensor if they were not programmed to their new position.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
It should also be noted that if you rotated your tires, the sensor reading on the dash may not correspond with the malfunctioning wheel sensor if they were not programmed to their new position.
That would be 'WILL' not correspond.....gotta gotta gotta relearn GM systems.

Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't rotated the tires and it has been months since the warning came on and I checked tire pressure. Is there any way to make the sensors "re-learn" without taking it to the dealership or tire store? I would much rather do it myself if no special tools are required.

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
If the sensors are in the correct position letting air out and then reinflating the tire should trigger a pressure update.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tires lose (or gain) 2% of their pressure for every 10F change in temp. (Not 1 psi for every 7F change). So, starting at 35 psig, a 10F drop in temp. results in 0.7 psig drop. The typical average temp. difference between summer and winter is 50F. So from Summer average temp. and 35 psig pressure in the tires, a drop of 50F to average winter temp. would result in a 3.5 psig pressure drop (assuming no leakage). So winter average temp pressure would be 31.5 psig if I do nothng. If all four tires have no leakage (beyond the occassional molecule or two of air escaping thru the valve and beads), the TPM system would not activate from normal temperature change of average summer temp to average winter temp. I believe that most TPM systems trigger the light if any one tire becomes 5 psig lower than the other three. But these systems may also put the light on if all four tires get well below the recommended pressure???

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Tires lose (or gain) 2% of their pressure for every 10F change in temp. (Not 1 psi for every 7F change). So, starting at 35 psig, a 10F drop in temp. results in 0.7 psig drop. The typical average temp. difference between summer and winter is 50F. So from Summer average temp. and 35 psig pressure in the tires, a drop of 50F to average winter temp. would result in a 3.5 psig pressure drop (assuming no leakage). So winter average temp pressure would be 31.5 psig if I do nothng. If all four tires have no leakage (beyond the occassional molecule or two of air escaping thru the valve and beads), the TPM system would not activate from normal temperature change of average summer temp to average winter temp. I believe that most TPM systems trigger the light if any one tire becomes 5 psig lower than the other three. But these systems may also put the light on if all four tires get well below the recommended pressure???
I see closer to a 10-12% drop from a smaller temperature change. OP, have you checked your tire pressure with a good tire pressure gauge when your TPMS is showing 28 or lower PSI?

·
Registered
109 Posts
So let's use your numbers instead of Robby's. You say that you lose 10% of your tire pressure every "less than 10 degrees F temp drop." Let's use "every 7 degrees" (which is what Robby used in his "rule of thumb.") Let's start at 35 psig and 70F temp. What you are saying is that at 63F, your pressure is down to 31.5. Then at 56F, your pressure is down to 28.35 (round to 28.4), then at 49F, you are down to 25.6. At 42F, you are down to 23 psig. Next comes 35F and you are down to 20.7 psig. The next chilly morning, the temp is 28F and your pressure is down to 18.5. It gets even colder over night and your temp is now 21F, where I end this saga. Your pressure is now 16.6 psig. Is this what you have actually observed? There is no "rule of thumb" involved with what actually happens, just the Gas Laws, of which I am schooled.

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
My pressure drop isn't linear. The first 10 degrees are the biggest and then it slows down. However, you didn't answer my question - have you checked your tire pressure with a good gauge? TPMS has been known to be off, and sometimes by as much as 5 PSI. (I had one that was high by 4 PSI).

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
My pressure drop isn't linear. The first 10 degrees are the biggest and then it slows down. However, you didn't answer my question - have you checked your tire pressure with a good gauge? TPMS has been known to be off, and sometimes by as much as 5 PSI. (I had one that was high by 4 PSI).
Mine are off by around 6 to 8 PSI. I even get monthly warnings from OnStar, however I now know the only way to accurately check pressure is by not using the TPMS feature

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,992 Posts
Mine are off by around 6 to 8 PSI. I even get monthly warnings from OnStar, however I now know the only way to accurately check pressure is by not using the TPMS feature
Are you sure that the tire gauge you're using to check is accurate? Mine are 1-2 psi off at most.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Are you sure that the tire gauge you're using to check is accurate? Mine are 1-2 psi off at most.
Yes which is surprising as I actually had close to 45 psi when the sensors read 37. After two shops confirmed this I checked myself with a new gauge and had to adjust them down. My free air connection is getting tired of seeing me.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

One of the gas stations here has a new fancy digital air pump you set the pressure, set it right at 38psi and the DIC reads on every single wheel right at 38psi when I drive away. Checked with a gauge they all read 38PSI, guess I'm lucky mines so accurate.

If people are seeing such a huge discrepancy, I wonder if they filled cold and tested hot?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,992 Posts
One of the gas stations here has a new fancy digital air pump you set the pressure, set it right at 38psi and the DIC reads on every single wheel right at 38psi when I drive away. Checked with a gauge they all read 38PSI, guess I'm lucky mines so accurate.

If people are seeing such a huge discrepancy, I wonder if they filled cold and tested hot?
My Craftsmen tire pump does that! But both it and my gauge and agree that the car is very slightly off.

·
Registered
533 Posts

The gas station near me has that newfangled thing too! My Cruze also agrees perfectly with that every time. Tested with real gauge was exactly the same too. Set to 43...got 43

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The gas station near me has that newfangled thing too! My Cruze also agrees perfectly with that every time. Tested with real gauge was exactly the same too. Set to 43...got 43
I really like these new machines, the ones around here are free too. Allot of stations you have to pay a dollar for air and run around like nascar to make sure it doesn't shut off before your finished.

Allot of the free ones I find are missing either the end off the hose or the entire hose, guess when their is no profit margin there is no reason to fix things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts