Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Low tire pressure sensor

15K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
If the sensors are in the correct position letting air out and then reinflating the tire should trigger a pressure update.

Tires lose (or gain) 2% of their pressure for every 10F change in temp. (Not 1 psi for every 7F change). So, starting at 35 psig, a 10F drop in temp. results in 0.7 psig drop. The typical average temp. difference between summer and winter is 50F. So from Summer average temp. and 35 psig pressure in the tires, a drop of 50F to average winter temp. would result in a 3.5 psig pressure drop (assuming no leakage). So winter average temp pressure would be 31.5 psig if I do nothng. If all four tires have no leakage (beyond the occassional molecule or two of air escaping thru the valve and beads), the TPM system would not activate from normal temperature change of average summer temp to average winter temp. I believe that most TPM systems trigger the light if any one tire becomes 5 psig lower than the other three. But these systems may also put the light on if all four tires get well below the recommended pressure???
I see closer to a 10-12% drop from a smaller temperature change. OP, have you checked your tire pressure with a good tire pressure gauge when your TPMS is showing 28 or lower PSI?

My pressure drop isn't linear. The first 10 degrees are the biggest and then it slows down. However, you didn't answer my question - have you checked your tire pressure with a good gauge? TPMS has been known to be off, and sometimes by as much as 5 PSI. (I had one that was high by 4 PSI).

Heat in your home is also based on absolute zero, so by dropping your thermostat from 72 to 68*F, doesn't even make a dent in your heating bill, but sure helps mold build up. But you are not told this by the idiots that run our government. If they had any brains at all, would be working in private industry.
False - heating and cooling needs are based on the relative heat difference between the inside and outside. If it's 68 outside and you drop your heat from 72 to 68 you eliminate the need to heat your home. Likewise if it's 80 outside and you raise your cooling point to 80 you eliminate the need to cool your home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.