Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently joined the Cruze world with a 2012 LT w/RS.

I love the car, it's amazing how serviceable it is with this engine.

I have noticed a low pitch whine coming from the engine bay that can be heard and felt through the accelerator pedal. The whine presents on acceleration and deceleration.

A few days later it threw a Low Boost P0299 code that the dealer cleared and basically ignored. And required me to schedule an appointment for Monday for them to
look at.

Anyone familiar with this?

46,000 miles, still under PT warranty.

Lastly, is it normal for 2nd gear to engage somewhat forcefully? Like a 3-4 on a scale of 10. Doesn't do it all the time, sometimes smooth as butter, other times the mild forceful engagement.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.com! You have came to the right place for help, I am not gonna be much of help as I don't much about the issue. But first thing comes to mind do you have tune of any sort? Plus do you have any sound bite the guys will be able to hear once they come here & help you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's 100% stock. and no sound clips, it's actually hard to pick up with my phone. But I know it's not normal, and wasn't doing it during the test drive and
the week I've had it before a couple days ago.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you're talking about the 1-2 shift, it can occasionally be harsh due to the sheer difference in gear ratios - it's a lot of rpm difference to soak up. It's usually more harsh and/or delayed when the transmission is cold. If you're referring to the 2-3 shift - assuming it's an auto, yes it's normal for that specific shift to be harsh. The Cruze on the 2-3 shift simultaneously shifts and locks the torque converter at the same time from 2-3. For all normal throttle values after this shift, the torque converter stays locked. The shifting and locking action at the same time sometimes comes together in the "perfect storm" to make a harsh 2-3 shift.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Automatic or manual? The LT comes with both transmissions.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I just recently joined the Cruze world with a 2012 LT w/RS.

I love the car, it's amazing how serviceable it is with this engine.

I have noticed a low pitch whine coming from the engine bay that can be heard and felt through the accelerator pedal. The whine presents on acceleration and deceleration.

A few days later it threw a Low Boost P0299 code that the dealer cleared and basically ignored. And required me to schedule an appointment for Monday for them to
look at.

Anyone familiar with this?

46,000 miles, still under PT warranty.

Lastly, is it normal for 2nd gear to engage somewhat forcefully? Like a 3-4 on a scale of 10. Doesn't do it all the time, sometimes smooth as butter, other times the mild forceful engagement.
Hello joe_nathan,

Welcome to the Cruze family! We are thrilled to have you. Sorry to hear about this whining sound you're experiencing. I've taken some time to review this thread and I see you're receiving some advice from other forum members. Additionally, as we're not certified technicians, we're not able to speculate on these specific concerns. However, please keep us updated on how it goes at the dealership on Monday and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions in the meantime!

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope you're able to get that issue resolved, keep us updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info from all.

I'll know on Monday what the whine/vibrations are about. And thank you for the transmission info too. It's an automatic.

I went from a G6 to this car and it's a significant upgrade.

It's a shame the new Cruze takes on the sleek/aerodynamic look that all the compacts are trending to lately. It's a great
looking car don't get me wrong, but the 1st Gen looks bold and has a great stance, and that look is dissappearing from
the compact market.

All in all, Chevy is on their game, sans for the odd 2016 Malibu with the pancaked face, and nearly identical rear end off the new Impala.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts