Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a 2011 1.4L LT Turbo with 120,000km on it. I have had all the recalls performed and up to date on my car. I just had the engine light come on the other day, had a friend check the code and it came up low turbo boost I think. Took it to the dealer last week and after 2 and a half hours waiting, I was told there was nothing wrong, it could have been a glitch. Besides the fact that I was made to wait 2.5 hours for nothing, they charged me $120 plus tax for something that was not my fault at all. I also asked them to check my front suspension as there are clunking sounds when going over bumps under 60km/hr and to check the burning oil smell I get. I was told the car would not be lifted to check the code so they wouldn't check the suspension and oil burn smell. I guess they wanted me to make a separate appointment so they could make another $120 off me. Now my main problem is I have noticed there is an oil leak from the bottom half of the engine. It looks to be coming from the passenger side of the engine at the front (closest to the bumper). Now as you know I already spent $120 for nothing, I really don't want to take it in and be told its not covered and be charged again. Does anyone know if this type of oil leak would be covered by the 5 year/160,000km powertrain warranty? I am not pleased with GM at all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
First, welcome to Cruze Talk! Sounds like you got a raw deal on that engine code. To answer you main question though, yes, oil leaks are covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. We have one member here who had the oil pan fixed at 99,000 miles if I remember correctly. I think I might try a different dealer though if I were you, doesnt sound like your current one is very willing to help.

·
Registered
589 Posts
First, welcome to Cruze Talk! Sounds like you got a raw deal on that engine code. To answer you main question though, yes, oil leaks are covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. We have one member here who had the oil pan fixed at 99,000 miles if I remember correctly. I think I might try a different dealer though if I were you, doesnt sound like your current one is very willing to help.
By the way, next time you get a code and the car is still running ok, pull the negative cable off the battery to reset it. If it was nothing it probably will not come back. Might save you $120.00.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Oil leaks from the engine block are always power train. Oil leaks from elsewhere are iffy. Also, if you can, go to a different dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It just so happens that today the check engine light came on again, 6 days after they cleared it, charged me and said there's nothing wrong. So now I'm going to have to go back, and get them to re check it, and make sure they look at the oil leak, but since they ignored that the first time, I'm sure they will have another excuse not to look, or not to cover it.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Tell them you want the code that they read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The code last week was P0299 Turbo Under Boost. They apparently looked everything over and concluded it was fine. They said they reprogrammed it, took it for two road tests and and everything looks good. Seems like its gonna be very hard to get GM to acknowledge and figure out the problem here.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
The code last week was P0299 Turbo Under Boost. They apparently looked everything over and concluded it was fine. They said they reprogrammed it, took it for two road tests and and everything looks good. Seems like its gonna be very hard to get GM to acknowledge and figure out the problem here.
Hello Zio2723,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your Cruze. I would be more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf as an extra layer of assistance. If you would like to proceed or have any additional questions, please feel free to send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealership. I am always happy to help.
Looking forward to your response.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Instead of going to the dealer for every code..most auto parts places will check them for free without a long wait. Let you sort out what you decide to take or not...and at least you can make note of it and when it came up and cleared for when you do take it back in.

What I did was buy a bluetooth ODB2 dongle on Amazon and got a copy of Torque for my Android Tablet.

Ended up being way cheaper than a standalone code scanner. And I can do it at home...not that I've had a reason to use it yet. All my other vehicles are pre-ODB2 or free from emissions or even computer controls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did originally go to a local parts store first to check the code. They researched the code and problem, which I then went to GM to have the car looked at.

I brought the car back today, and after looking at it again, the dealership said the turbo was the issue and they will replace it. My big issue here is just last week I brought it in and they couldn't find anything and charged me $120. So now they find something after they made money off me. I should not have been charged in the first place, and I feel now that they found the problem, I should definitely be refunded as the problem is covered by warranty and the first mechanic should have known what to look for. I feel ripped off by GM and Im very upset and dissapointed.

As for my oil problem, they said its from a hose connecting to the tranny that is loose and the part is $50 and labour is $240. Dealer says its not covered by the power train warranty. Unreal. My confidence in GM as a whole has never been lower.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Talk to the general manager at that dealership - be polite but explain that you shouldn't be charged for any of this and he should refund your $120 because his techs missed the problems on the first trip. If he balks point out that your time is money just like his time is money and that shoddy service the first time cost you money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will follow your advice today and will let you know what happens. I replied back to GM customer service on here through direct message yesterday, havent heard anything back from them yet.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Patsy,
I did receive a pm, sent it back and I believe it was Jasmine who forwarded my issues over to GM Canada, who I'm still waiting to hear back from. GM Canada does not have a great reputation for customer service, so I'm not too excited and I don't have high expectations. I would like to thank you and Jasmine as you are quick and eager to help out customers.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
What I did was buy a bluetooth ODB2 dongle on Amazon and got a copy of Torque for my Android Tablet.

Ended up being way cheaper than a standalone code scanner. And I can do it at home...not that I've had a reason to use it yet.
I had a pretty nice scanner I paid $100 for 5+ years ago, I sold that to a friend for $40 and bought a blutooth OBDII dongle and torque app instead. My reason for the change was I always have a phone or tablet with me, but never carried the dedicated scanner in the car so I never had it when I needed it. This way I always have a way to at least have some clue what a CEL means.

Nice part my friend got a decent scanner for cheap and I didn't have to pay anything to make the switch using the money from the sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to get one of those bluetooth OBDII devices with the Torque app that everyone is talking about, but almost everyone I see is made for an android phone, I have an iPhone. I found one that works for iPhone but it said I needed to jailbreak my phone, which I wont do.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts