Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll be having her turn the wheel all the way to the right and doing the same "test" so that I can get a good look and see what's going on - grabbing the axle should tell me pretty quickly if it is the culprit, or if it's in the hub/wheel bearing - or if it's something else.

I meant to do it today, but I spent 7 hours out in the sun, in high-80s, in my driveway finishing up my brother's Mustang (which has basically kept me busy for a **** month now), so I wasn't about to do anything else, haha.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Mine has a slight click when coasting down speeds in auto. It’s barely auditable and honestly don’t notice it.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After we had finished up with the Mustang and took it for a test drive, my brother and moved cars around and took a look specifically at the axle with the wheel cranked all the way to the left - when it makes that click you can see the whole axle rotate forward or backwards (depending on what gear you shifted into) - something it should not be doing with the brakes held. We confirmed that by looking at the right front's axle - no rotation at all (just the typical raising or lowering due to being loaded against the brakes).

I was worried that maybe the caliper was loose or something from when I did brakes (even though I know for a fact I torqued those bigass bolts to spec), but they're not - plus, we'd experience plenty of noise elsewhere if that was the case.

So I am leaning towards slop between the axle splines and the splines in the hub, based on what we're seeing.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
After we had finished up with the Mustang and took it for a test drive, my brother and moved cars around and took a look specifically at the axle with the wheel cranked all the way to the left - when it makes that click you can see the whole axle rotate forward or backwards (depending on what gear you shifted into) - something it should not be doing with the brakes held. We confirmed that by looking at the right front's axle - no rotation at all (just the typical raising or lowering due to being loaded against the brakes).

I was worried that maybe the caliper was loose or something from when I did brakes (even though I know for a fact I torqued those bigass bolts to spec), but they're not - plus, we'd experience plenty of noise elsewhere if that was the case.

So I am leaning towards slop between the axle splines and the splines in the hub, based on what we're seeing.
Let’s hope it’s the axle stub that’s got play and not the female end into the transmission. If both of them have excessive play could be expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is doing something similar. Mine is a 6-speed and between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd both upshifting and downshifting it will make kind of a ratchet and clank sound. I thought it might be the linkage assembly but I wanted some opinions before I go spend money to have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Let’s hope it’s the axle stub that’s got play and not the female end into the transmission. If both of them have excessive play could be expensive.
Based on where the sound seems to be, it would be out on the wheel hub side.

With the wheel turned, you could pinpoint the cross-car center line to be right near the wheel.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I saw this on FB, and this thread immediately came to mind :D

Doug

klunking_sound.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just saw that one too!

Hopefully I can get it on the first try...

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just saw that one too!

Hopefully I can get it on the first try...
Gday mate, did you sort this out? Ive had exactly the same problem. Thought it was transmission but after replacement is still exactly the same. My CVs seem good and bushes etc all sweet so Im really keen to see if you solve this. Others seem to have had the issue also.
Cheers,
Josh

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not yet - but it's still making the noise. Potentially louder than before, but we also don't drive the car (or any of our cars) a lot at the moment, so it's hard to actually compare it.

The big question, once I finally dive into it, is: are the splines on the axle the issue, or the ones in the hub?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The big question, once I finally dive into it, is: are the splines on the axle the issue, or the ones in the hub?
Good question. I am yet to watch for axle movement while braked and changing from drive to reverse to see if I can reproduce what your seeing. I removed the battery and box tonight to double check the transmission mount was good and tight and seemingly no issues so back to the axle.
Cheers,
Josh

21 - 31 of 31 Posts