Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tracking my MPG per tank since I bought the car last year (hand calculated), and I scored 25 MPG on this last tank of diesel, making it the lowest I've ever gotten. Honestly, I am quite impressed that I could "complain" about 25 MPG. The average MPH on this tank was a lowly 14 MPH, due to all of the city driving and idling with the A\C on (99% humidity is no fun).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been tracking my MPG per tank since I bought the car last year (hand calculated), and I scored 25 MPG on this last tank of diesel, making it the lowest I've ever gotten. Honestly, I am quite impressed that I could "complain" about 25 MPG. The average MPH on this tank was a lowly 14 MPH, due to all of the city driving and idling with the A\C on (99% humidity is no fun).
Sounds about right for city driving.. it's the only type of driving where a hybrid starts to make some sense...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
25 is pretty good for that kind of driving, I am on opposite end, most tanks average over 50 mph and upper 40s mpg every tank. I try and drive my f150 for in town stuff, it's lousy mileage where ever I drive it.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my '14 CTD, crappy MPG City and superior MPG Highway. I get about 30-35 around town and 45-52 on the open road. My 09 TDI used to do much better around town, usually between 36-38. However out on the highway the TDI did about 45 on the highway with best around 47.

The CTD Aisin transmission seems to hold onto gears till higher RPM, even under extremely light throttle input. In my opinion, those higher revs between shifts contribute to lower City MPG. I've tried manual mode to get earlier shift points but the computer won't allow it, even though there's plenty of torque to handle shifts at 1,500 instead of 2,300.

Reactions: starspangled6.0

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my '14 CTD, crappy MPG City and superior MPG Highway. I get about 30-35 around town and 45-52 on the open road. My 09 TDI used to do much better around town, usually between 36-38. However out on the highway the TDI did about 45 on the highway with best around 47.

The CTD Aisin transmission seems to hold onto gears till higher RPM, even under extremely light throttle input. In my opinion, those higher revs between shifts contribute to lower City MPG. I've tried manual mode to get earlier shift points but the computer won't allow it, even though there's plenty of torque to handle shifts at 1,500 instead of 2,300.
Transmission is certainly a factor, the other one is emmisions. At low load the EGTs are very low on a diesel, and with emmisions that is a problem, the CTD seems to alter something to drive up EGTs in city driving and that burns fuel also. The VW wasn't playing full emmisions in it's city mode.. so that is another explanation to add to the shift points.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I get those kind of numbers when my wife uses the car to drive to the lake or to the neighbors house too many times.

I was a bit disappointed that I only got 45mpg on a trip to Disney World this month. AC running going 75-80 that whole way with the intown driving in Orlando. When I mentioned it to someone at work they were astonished that I got mpgs that good.

My TDI Beetle will consistently hammer the CTD on everyday trips. It needs a taller 5th gear and a tune to be a contender on a long trip at those speeds.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I never got lower than 27 MPG, and that's in the dead of winter. I usually end up at 33 MPG for most of my driving, which is suburban driving, mixed with much more city. On the highway I get over 50, highest was 57 MPG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts