Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has had this happen twice now and its a 2017. Unfortunately it has 115,000 miles and no factory warranty. Why hasnt this been recalled? What is Genral Motors doing about this?

Shasta

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,981 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

New AMSOIL Signature Series Formulation and Change Interval
This is the 1st line from this thread:

Some exciting news about AMSOIL.

AMSOIL Signature Series has some huge improvements. NOACK volatility is down across the board, the oil now touts 100% guarantee against LSPI, and most impressively, the severe service limitation has changed.

A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0301 Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected

I have never heard of this company, but this is a decent explanation video:

@XtremeRevolution

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You say it's the second time, what was done to repair it the first time?

I've only seen one repeat failure since 2016, and it was very early on, on a car that was being neglected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say it's the second time, what was done to repair it the first time?

I've only seen one repeat failure since 2016, and it was very early on, on a car that was being neglected.
The first time i dont think i put full synthetic in. It had 37 000 miles and was under warranty. Now its doing the same type of thing. Runs very rough on low rpms, engine light blinks, says to check traction control, has no power. happened two states away from home. Changed oil with mobile 1 full synthetic.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

New AMSOIL Signature Series Formulation and Change Interval
This is the 1st line from this thread:

Some exciting news about AMSOIL.

AMSOIL Signature Series has some huge improvements. NOACK volatility is down across the board, the oil now touts 100% guarantee against LSPI, and most impressively, the severe service limitation has changed.

A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0301 Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected

I have never heard of this company, but this is a decent explanation video:

@XtremeRevolution
What is a severe service limitation change?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
You need to have problem diagnosed before you claim the same problem.

As posted above. Numerous things can cause 0301.

There are updated pistons. No one has posted of a second occurence. I haven't seen anyways. Maybe someone else has.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,981 Posts
The first time i dont think i put full synthetic in. It had 37 000 miles and was under warranty. Now its doing the same type of thing. Runs very rough on low rpms, engine light blinks, says to check traction control, has no power. happened two states away from home. Changed oil with mobile 1 full synthetic.

What is a severe service limitation change?
You should click on the red text and read it.

This is the next section of that post:
Before, it used to be that you could run 25k miles in normal service or 15k miles in severe service, and turbocharged engines like our 1.4L Turbo were classified as severe service - not anymore. The 25,000 mile guarantee now holds whether or not your engine has a turbo, so those of you driving a lot every year can go a full 25,000 miles with a filter change every ~8500 miles.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What is Genral Motors doing about this?
At some point GM put out an ECU update. This, possibly combined with new pistons in some cars that had cracked pistons, has some fixes for the issue. Was your car ever updated with the new ECU programming?

·
Registered
830 Posts
At some point GM put out an ECU update. This, possibly combined with new pistons in some cars that had cracked pistons, has some fixes for the issue. Was your car ever updated with the new ECU programming?
I had my '17 in for service for the info screen in the fall and had them check for updates for the ECU for the LSPI problem and they said there were none. when did the updates come out?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had my '17 in for service for the info screen in the fall and had them check for updates for the ECU for the LSPI problem and they said there were none. when did the updates come out?
Sometime in 2019:

Note: For the Cruze vehicles only – A calibration has been released that will help to reduce the possibility of a cracked piston. Update the engine control module to the latest calibration available.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sometime in 2019:

Note: For the Cruze vehicles only – A calibration has been released that will help to reduce the possibility of a cracked piston. Update the engine control module to the latest calibration available.
Oh nice. I'll have to get ahold of my dealer and get my car in and see if it has been applied. Then again I have no cEL and I know sometimes they won't do anything like that without the "concern" present.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oh nice. I'll have to get ahold of my dealer and get my car in and see if it has been applied. Then again I have no cEL and I know sometimes they won't do anything like that without the "concern" present.
If you are out of warranty your dealership might balk at giving you a free software update. If they refuse to do it unless you pay out of pocket, you would be better off making sure you use mid-grade or premium fuel every time you fill up the tank and letting it ride.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you are out of warranty your dealership might balk at giving you a free software update. If they refuse to do it unless you pay out of pocket, you would be better off making sure you use mid-grade or premium fuel every time you fill up the tank and letting it ride.
I'm still in warranty thankfully but I've been running 93 in it 🤞

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
This is a problem that affects tons of small turbo GDI motors, not just GM's.

-Run high octane, not 87. 87 has no place in turbocharged engines.
-Run a GOOD synthetic oil.
-Try to keep from lugging the engine up hills. Hard with the auto trans programming that needs a good boot to get it to downshift so it's not climbing a hill at 1200 RPM though

When pistons are replaced, they should update the ECM and use the updated part number for pistons.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When pistons are replaced, they should update the ECM and use the updated part number for pistons.
That makes me wonder if the ECM update is some weird thing where it's only for new pistons and not to be used with old pistons. I don't know how that could be a thing but it seems like an answer GM would give.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts