Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,454 Posts
That makes me wonder if the ECM update is some weird thing where it's only for new pistons and not to be used with old pistons. I don't know how that could be a thing but it seems like an answer GM would give.
I doubt it. Probably mostly tune tweaking to avoid high load low rpm conditions and updated trans tuning for the automatics.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is a problem that affects tons of small turbo GDI motors, not just GM's.

-Run high octane, not 87. 87 has no place in turbocharged engines.
-Run a GOOD synthetic oil.
-Try to keep from lugging the engine up hills. Hard with the auto trans programming that needs a good boot to get it to downshift so it's not climbing a hill at 1200 RPM though

When pistons are replaced, they should update the ECM and use the updated part number for pistons.
My problem is I'm sure I'll be out of the 5yr/60k warranty by the time I get to the mileage where these motors go. If I can get the ECM programming and prevent it that'd be ideal

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,454 Posts
My problem is I'm sure I'll be out of the 5yr/60k warranty by the time I get to the mileage where these motors go. If I can get the ECM programming and prevent it that'd be ideal
Seems like most usually blow up by 30-40k if they're going to. The later ones seem to be second owner cars that probably don't know to run a good oil that avoids LSPI etc

I'm at 45k on my 16 and she's good so far. Got about a year of powertrain left

·
Registered
830 Posts
Seems like most usually blow up by 30-40k if they're going to. The later ones seem to be second owner cars that probably don't know to run a good oil that avoids LSPI etc

I'm at 45k on my 16 and she's good so far. Got about a year of powertrain left
I'm not even at 15k yet on my '17 with 2 years left. If my plan to buy a new motorcycle happens this year it'll be even less mileage added. I'm currently doing about 200 mi/wk but if the motorcycle thing happens it'll be like maybe 40-50/wk (depending on weather) for about 8-9 months of the year

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
If you are out of warranty your dealership might balk at giving you a free software update. If they refuse to do it unless you pay out of pocket...
If you're out of warranty, they better balk at giving free software updates and refuse to do work unless paid

When I'm out money businesses don't just give me stuff for free.

Why does it constantly get suggested and seems to be an implicit expectation that dealers should fix things for free in perpetuity. And those that don't are somehow "bad".

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If you're out of warranty, they better balk at giving free software updates and refuse to do work unless paid
This seems like an issue GM should cover as a straight-up recall on all affected Cruze vehicles. I'd want to have whatever software update is necessary to keep customers' cars from cracking pistons, even for the second, third, and subsequent owners after warranty. Maybe I'm just a nice person, but if I ran a company and could push out a software update that saves second-hand customers from eating thousands in repair costs, that's a goodwill thing to strengthen your brand.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
This seems like an issue GM should cover as a straight-up recall on all affected Cruze vehicles. I'd want to have whatever software update is necessary to keep customers' cars from cracking pistons, even for the second, third, and subsequent owners after warrant. Maybe I'm just a nice person, but if I ran a company and could push out a software update that saves second-hand customers from eating thousands in repair costs, that's a goodwill thing to strengthen your brand.
If it was an O.T.A update like infotainment, or similar to what Tesla does (though what Tesla does is a whole other story of abuse) I'd agree.

But that's not how 8t would need to happen , you'd need to have approximately 350,000 U.S. Cruzes come into the dealer to be programmed. That's 350,000 chances to piss off customers. They average person doesn't get excited there's a recall, or service update, on their vehicle. Most people feel inconvenienced, concerned that their car is gonna break, pissed off they have to go to the dealer for no reason....that doesn't build Goodwill. Second hand customers experiencing Goodwill is nonsense as well, many of the cars would have had the update before the 2nd owner, that 2nd owner would never know or care that it was done. Only customers who had bought a car that DiDNT get the update would have an opinion on it. And again you're more likely to find a car that would die for the second owner, that doesn't build Goodwill. A car that didn't die, and needed the update would again likely piss off a customer and make them wonder if their vehicle was neglected.

All you have to do is look around here and see all the "I'm going back to XXX" and "Never again" to see that very few people even have any brand loyalty anyway, and a lot of them change brands because of experiences in the dealer... GM doesn't want your car to have to be taken to the dealer, unless you're buying maintenance. They never want a customer to have to bring in a vehicle for a repair, update, etc....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If it was an O.T.A update like infotainment
True story about that. A friend of mine just bought a new Jeep Renegade and within a month of ownership she got a letter about a recall. The reverse camera display can get stuck on the screen causing the driver to be distracted. The fix was Fiat-Chrysler sending an update out OTA for her to click "update" on the radio screen. Either that, or it could be downloaded to a USB drive from the Uconnect website for an update in the car.

It's a shame ECU programming isn't that easy, but it opens up for hacking problems or other glitches.

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatchback RS Premier
160 Posts
If it was an O.T.A update like infotainment, or similar to what Tesla does (though what Tesla does is a whole other story of abuse) I'd agree.

But that's not how 8t would need to happen , you'd need to have approximately 350,000 U.S. Cruzes come into the dealer to be programmed. That's 350,000 chances to piss off customers. They average person doesn't get excited there's a recall, or service update, on their vehicle. Most people feel inconvenienced, concerned that their car is gonna break, pissed off they have to go to the dealer for no reason....that doesn't build Goodwill. Second hand customers experiencing Goodwill is nonsense as well, many of the cars would have had the update before the 2nd owner, that 2nd owner would never know or care that it was done. Only customers who had bought a car that DiDNT get the update would have an opinion on it. And again you're more likely to find a car that would die for the second owner, that doesn't build Goodwill. A car that didn't die, and needed the update would again likely piss off a customer and make them wonder if their vehicle was neglected.

All you have to do is look around here and see all the "I'm going back to XXX" and "Never again" to see that very few people even have any brand loyalty anyway, and a lot of them change brands because of experiences in the dealer... GM doesn't want your car to have to be taken to the dealer, unless you're buying maintenance. They never want a customer to have to bring in a vehicle for a repair, update, etc....
This is no joke. I was selling cars when recalls by GM were huge. We were getting recalls left and right for the trucks, Traverses, etc. I wanted people to be happier that GM was giving them recalls to fix known issues but instead it was viewed that GM was a bad brand. It was silly because all of the other manufacturers had just as many known issues, but GM was actually trying to address them. It was such a strange stigma that I had to overcome when I was out there selling them and with a lot of people, you cannot convince them that they were doing the right things. So, the other salespeople and I realized that GM would have been better off not doing anything because it just ends up being bad press.

Reactions: Ma v e n

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Maven, seems to me what Tesla is doing is pretty smart and efficient and most likely the future of the auto industry. Just curious what you meant here as "another story of abuse" Do you mean like it's forcing updates similar to complains people have with Windows or Mac OS? If so, that's fair but the alternative like Barry said is much worse. And I agree with your paragraph about issuing a recall would have the opposite effect of improving brand loyalty.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey Maven, seems to me what Tesla is doing is pretty smart and efficient and most likely the future of the auto industry. Just curious what you meant here as "another story of abuse" Do you mean like it's forcing updates similar to complains people have with Windows or Mac OS? If so, that's fair but the alternative like Barry said is much worse. And I agree with your paragraph about issuing a recall would have the opposite effect of improving brand loyalty.
My guess is he's referring to the BS Tesla has been doing with used cars.This aritcle on Jalopnik is about Tesla removing features (Autopilot and Ludacris Mode) via OTA updates on used vehicles because the second owner "didn't pay for those features". What a load of BS

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ahh yeah that's messed up. If you buy a product you should get whatever came with it when purchased, not he other way around.
Exactly. It'd be like GM removing the NAV from your Cruze because the original owner bought it not you 🙄

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Exactly what I'm referring too. They've been removing features from cars via software. They've pulled autopilot, ludicrous mode, they've derated batteries, they've pulled software updates on cars that people have worked on themselves, they've bricked modules/cars that were rebuilt.

Since they don't build internal combustion vehicles they found a loophole in regulations and don't have to act like a normal car manufacturer. They don't have to provide their service manuals, they don't allow you have their diagnostic tool, you can't buy original parts, and very few aftermarket parts exist.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ah understood. Yeah that needs to be addressed by someone so it doesn't get out of hand. Maybe the NHTSA?

Speaking of Tesla though have you all been watching Munroe's channel where they have disassembled a Model Y step by step and analyzed the construction and manufacturing? It's been really great content and for mechanically minded folks very interesting. I've learned so much already watching the Model Y teardown. They're getting ready to do the Cybertruck as soon as that launches and have already done a few introductory videos comparing it to comparable models from Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. Good ****.

Here's their home page: Munroe Live

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the USA at least, ECM warranty is 8yr/80k miles. You might be in.
Do you have access 2 documents that can back up this statement? My car only has 3300 miles and the dealership just charged me $300 for the update no matter how much I complained.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Do you have access 2 documents that can back up this statement? My car only has 3300 miles and the dealership just charged me $300 for the update no matter how much I complained.
Federal Warranty Coverage
Car or Light Duty Truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight
Rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less ‐ 2 years or 24,000 miles and 8 years or 80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, vehicle/ powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic device, including emission-related software, whichever comes first.

Difficulty: an ECU update for LSPI is not "emissions-related" software. You could keep the old ECU firmware and the emissions are still intact.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts