Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

LT Manual clutch/trans problems?

44090 Views 109 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  6speedTi
Recently, my gen 2 cruze’s clutch has been sticking to the floor. Sometimes it work. Perfectly, sometimes there’s absolutely 0 pressure and I can’t even drive my car, and sometimes it can be pushed in and will retract slowly or not at all. This just started happening after getting like a foot of snow for several days. Has anyone else had transmission, clutch, or gearbox problems in their manual trans cruzes?
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

· Registered
2,048 Posts
I guess so. It's supposed to be 6y 100000km.
Gasoline or Diesel engine?

Per the TSB on the clutch pedal sticking to the floor, the gasoline cars get an automatic warranty replacement (if under powertrain warranty) of the slave cylinder and all the redesigned hydraulic pipework that goes with the clutch.

Diesel cars have it worse because if you're past the B2B warranty they expect you to pay for the TSB repair that might not even fix the problem. It's like $500 US, so is that maybe $800 of your colorful Canadian dollars? If your car is a Diesel engine and you then have the separate, somewhat-related problem of the transmission not going into gear when you step on the clutch, they might diagnose the failing or failed slave cylinder and give you the huge warranty replacement job - but then it's a battle to get them to refund what you might have paid to have the TSB performed on your car to not fix the problem.

· Registered
2,048 Posts
It is a gasoline engine. I should be fine then? What BST exactly? I have seen several of them.
This one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143774-9999.pdf

Walk into the dealership with a copy of this in your hand. Point out to them that the fix includes replacing the slave cylinder, and that is (presumably) covered under the powertrain warranty. Is Canada different in warranty coverage? This should be 100% covered.

· Registered
2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT RS
50 Posts
The car is already at the dealership. I don't think they looked at it yet.

The warranty book says :
Transmission/Transaxle Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals, and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (slave cylinder, etc.).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Source:

Thank you very much

· Registered
118 Posts
Hi everyone,

It's my turn this morning. Clutch pedal get stuck to the floor. Cruze 2017 LT 76400km.

Wish me luck
Have you ever by chance had your clutch fluid flushed/bled since you owned the car? I have a 2016 gen 2 with no issues as of yet. As I have mentioned in other threads, I have purged/bled my clutch fluid three times this year since it is such an easy task. Suck out old fluid from clutch bleeder valve while refilling the master brake cylinder. Either I am **** lucky or the purging/bleeding of fluid is definitely mitigating it/keeping it at bay so to speak.

regards,

Jason

· Registered
118 Posts
Hi Jason,

No I never changed my clutch fluid.
Thanks for the reply......

Of all the threads I have read regarding this issue, I still can not determine what this "debris" looks like that is being shed. It must be awfully large pieces to plug up the orfice tube completely. If the fluid was just "dirty" I cant see how that would plug the line causing the fluid blockage. Is it something that is gelling up so to speak over time. I don't think anyone really knows honestly.

Maybe My bleeding has "Kept the line clear" kinda thing. I guess when its my turn I will find out...or not...

My Cruze only has like 54,000 kms but it is a 2016 (got it in June I believe) So I am starting to think the failure has more to do with "use" rather then over time so to speak.

Unfortunately my warranty ran out in June (Powertrain) so I am on my own. I do have CAA and can get a tow no problem, but I am anticipating a 1200 dollar repair at least.

Jason

· Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully GM will acknowledge the problem and issue a recall. I always feeled like I noob when shifting this car. Something is not right with the clutch. Maybe I'll see a difference after the repair. Maybe there is a way to know if the clutch will go bad.

Is it using the same reservoir as the brakes? One of the caliper jammed this summer. It took a lot of force to push it back in when replacing the rotor. I wonder if it may be related.

· Registered
118 Posts
Hopefully GM will acknowledge the problem and issue a recall. I always feeled like I noob when shifting this car. Something is not right with the clutch. Maybe I'll see a difference after the repair. Maybe there is a way to know if the clutch will go bad.

Is it using the same reservoir as the brakes? One of the caliper jammed this summer. It took a lot of force to push it back in when replacing the rotor. I wonder if it may be related.
Yes the Brakes and Clutch share the same reservoir and use simple DOT 3 Brake fluid. I am a pretty anal guy when it comes to my cars and preventative maintenance and would consider myself a "seasoned" pro shifting manuals. Have been driving stick since I was 16..I am 47 now... I have both a 2002 Camaro SS 6 speed and a 2021 LT1 V8 6 Speed Camaro as well, so I am very familiar with the "feel" so to speak. I can honestly say my Cruze has felt "OK" and has never really felt any different since the day I drove it off the lot. At least yours is covered under warranty.
Only time will tell if my over the top maintenance will prevent a slave cylinder failure....

Jason

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Have you ever by chance had your clutch fluid flushed/bled since you owned the car? I have a 2016 gen 2 with no issues as of yet. As I have mentioned in other threads, I have purged/bled my clutch fluid three times this year since it is such an easy task. Suck out old fluid from clutch bleeder valve while refilling the master brake cylinder. Either I am **** lucky or the purging/bleeding of fluid is definitely mitigating it/keeping it at bay so to speak.
If he’s getting the repair for free, why bother trying to prevent the problem? ¯\(ツ)

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Of all the threads I have read regarding this issue, I still can not determine what this "debris" looks like that is being shed. It must be awfully large pieces to plug up the orfice tube completely. If the fluid was just "dirty" I cant see how that would plug the line causing the fluid blockage. Is it something that is gelling up so to speak over time. I don't think anyone really knows honestly.
GM technical at HQ knows. The earlier TSBs instructed technicians to bag the removed parts with fluid samples and return those for examination.

One part of the tube has a small metering orifice. I don’t know how small - I haven’t seen it. This orifice prevents the clutch pedal from hammering back to the top of its stroke if you slip off the pedal or release it too fast. The orifice acts as a fluid dampener. That’s what gets clogged.

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Hopefully GM will acknowledge the problem and issue a recall.
Absolutely never! Recalls cost money and if they can save a dime by ignoring the problem they will do that. There are so few manual transmission Cruze sedans and hatches in North America that GM can skirt by with relatively few problems reported. They'll just hope that the majority of cars age out of warranty coverage and then the problem is your problem. "More than 60,000 miles? That's just wear and tear and you must pay to maintain your car!"

Maybe there is a way to know if the clutch will go bad.
You have the opportunity for the mechanic to inspect the clutch when they take the car apart for the warranty repair. Ask them if it's possible for them to replace the clutch if it shows wear, and you pay for the parts and maybe some of the labor for that job while they have everything taken apart. If you ask, maybe they will work with you on that.

That's a definite maybe. The safety recall in the EU and UK (Opel and Vauxhall vehicles) is a mandated safety recall. The debris in the hydraulic fluid can damage brake parts. The recall in Europe is a replacement of the slave cylinder, hydraulic pipework, and some brake parts that include the ABS control valve. I guess the debris can deteriorate brake parts and cause brakes to not function properly, so that's a huge safety issue.

· Registered
50 Posts
That's it! The car is repaired free of charge. They also had to replace the clutch and pressure plate because the brake fluid has leak all over it and damaged it.

A big thank you to GM Ile-Perrot (Groupe Autoforce) for the service. Very appreciated.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts