Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have the LTZ wheels with the LTZ stock size tire installed on my LT and they are currently rubbing but I have no clue where. It's not the tires themselves as I can easily see there's clearance and the sound does not change when turning the car in either direction or when going over dips and bumps.

Its mainly noticeable at speeds under 40, it's not scrapey sounding it is dull and "radiating" sounding, like it travels through the car and surrounds you in the sound.

Also the sound does not seem more noticeable with windows down which makes me think the rim is probably barely touching something.

My car IS lowered with the eibach pro kit, but people with LTZs lower them all the time, and it's very obviously not the tire touching anywhere so that leaves me to believe it's the rims.

Please any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An LT has rear drum brakes and a LTZ should have rear disk brakes. Do the LTZ wheels rub on something to do with the braking system?
Actually I have a feeling it comes from the front, cuz I did think of the rear drums but there's actually tons of clearance back there for the brakes.

Up front however is a different story, there maybe 1-2 mm of clearance between the rims and calipers in like 3 different spots. I can't fit my fingers in between those spots.

I did take the wheels off and check for signs of scraping and there's no marks or shavings on the rims or calipers so I'm kind of at a loss.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd check your dust sheilds they could have been bumped during the swap. Although I'm still kinda leaning towards minor wheel bearing noise.

Ummm. Tire noise comes to mind as well. If they aren't brand new tires, rotate them front to back and re try

Kinda a jack shot without hearing it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd check your dust sheilds they could have been bumped during the swap. Although I'm still kinda leaning towards minor wheel bearing noise.

Ummm. Tire noise comes to mind as well. If they aren't brand new tires, rotate them front to back and re try

I will try and record the sound cuz I'm sure that'll help. And they're not new tires and do need replacing soonish, but the person I got them from said he didn't have any issues with noises, and he seems pretty honest so I take his word for it. The tires are directional, so does that matter if I get them rotated? When we installed them to my car from his we put them in the corresponding locations.

And the wheel bearing thing makes sense, but I feel like it'd be a huge coincidence to happen when I swapped the wheels. Like I drove almost 7 hours to get them on my silent 16's and the moment I pulled out of the parking lot with the 18's on, I could hear the sound. So I'm not trying to knock on your guess, I just think it'd be highly coincidental.

I'll try my best with the video.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay I got a video, it must be listened to with headphones or bass-y speakers to detect the sound, it's most prominent towards the end as I slow down. And it's not the brakes themselves cuz it does it when I coast to a stop too, the sound gets louder the slower I go.

http://youtu.be/PhmUtfTXRYo

·
Registered
481 Posts
That, on my phone, sounds an awful lot like a bearing or tires.

It's very rare, but the act of loosening and tighten lug nuts can actually cause a bearing to get worse. So if it was going before but not making noise yet, now it could be. Like I said, its rare, but I've seen it once in the last year at my shop.

As far as tire noise, I'm not doubting he didn't have issues, but maybe they started making noise so long ago and so slowly that he hadn't noticed? Much like people don't notice a bearing slowly going bad until someone else brings it up.

You can examine this all in one shot really.

Raise the front of the car up, have someone spin the tire on one side while you hold the spring. Any roughness in the bearings can be felt this way. It will also give you the chance to, possibly, isolate a side of the car if its something rubbing. If you don't feel or hear it, raise up the back and rotate the tires (you COULD do one side at a time). Drive and see if anything changes. If that doesn't find you your noise, it might be worth having a technician drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I can do that simple test, thanks for your suggestions. Is it weird that a bearing/s would be bad at only 30,000 miles? I'm under warranty so if that's the issue I guess it's not a big deal, I just hope they don't try to say I have LTZ wheels so those caused my bearings to go bad lol. You know how they love to not honor warranties.

Im hoping that maybe it's the tires themselves, cuz they are low on tread, and I went from 60 to 45 sidewalls so maybe I'm not used to the fact that there will be more road noise, and since they're low on tread it could be excessive noise? Idk, I'm just hoping it's not mechanical part failure cuz I know the dealer will fight me on that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rotating directional tires you rotate back to front and front to back, with the tires staying on the same side of the car.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm going extremely unlikely. If I had to bet a dollar on it, I'd bet on tires. (I don't have a dollar so that's a huge deal)

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going extremely unlikely. If I had to bet a dollar on it, I'd bet on tires. (I don't have a dollar so that's a huge deal)
Okay, well if the general consensus is most likely tires, that makes me feel better....they're not to the point where they're dangerous to drive on...so I'll get them replaced when I have the funds. It needs to be done anyways, whether they're the problem or not.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If it was tires, I'd think it would change with the surface you were driving on.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If it was tires, I'd think it would change with the surface you were driving on.
I thought of that as well, and it does not change based on surfaces, so maybe it's not the tires....and with the hubs/bearings hypothesis, I've heard bad hubs (in my old malibu) and the sound never went away no matter how fast I was going, the sound just got faster. Whereas if I exceed 40-45 mph in my Cruze, the sound is completely gone and it's back to silent riding.

This is just really frustrating...I have a feeling it has to be tire/rim related just because it would seem too coincidental and too soon for the bearings to be gone already. And since the tires/rims are not making contact with anything maybe it just is bad tires....

One thing I noticed is they seem really hard. Not like "oh these have a lot of air in them" hard, but like "this rubber has no flex in it" hard, at least the tread it's like that...does that make any sense? I used to work in a tire place and the tread always felt like rubber, dense, hard, but still had a little play in it...this feels like an old bouncy ball that isn't bouncy anymore, dense and hard, but almost plastic hardness.

Maybe that's a sign the tires are done-zo?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
this feels like an old bouncy ball that isn't bouncy anymore, dense and hard, but almost plastic hardness.
Just for kicks and grins, what's the date code on the tires? Just wondering if they're old.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for kicks and grins, what's the date code on the tires? Just wondering if they're old.
That I'm not sure of, I'll check when I get off work...at 7am haha
Don't know if this helps, but they're Goodyear Eagle F1's....if that helps determine their quality at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
To narrow it down to see if it is the bearing, I would put the old wheels back on and see if the noise goes away. It would be better for taking the car back to the dealer for warranty work also esp if it is bearings. Before I put money in tires, I would see if it is a mechanical problem first by reinstalling the original wheels and tires unless you sold them.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To narrow it down to see if it is the bearing, I would put the old wheels back on and see if the noise goes away. It would be better for taking the car back to the dealer for warranty work also esp if it is bearings. Before I put money in tires, I would see if it is a mechanical problem first by reinstalling the original wheels and tires unless you sold them.
Yeah if I still had the tires I would totally do that, but that's not an option unfortunately.

·
Registered
481 Posts

I would typically agree, I'm actually experiencing similar noises out of my winter tires and it might change pitch on different surfaces, but overall it is the same noise and its wear related.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on this issue I still have.....just got the first tire rotation after getting these wheels, the sound it still there but it definitely changed....less constant but still just as loud...so I guess it's probably tire/tread related and the sound changed because of tire position....hopefully won't have an issue anymore once I get new tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.