Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The trans to engine bolts were not that hard to get to on the manual. The trans is supported in the front and back. It is the engine you have to worry about supporting (if pulling the trans).

·
Registered
148 Posts
They make mention of the 5 grove swap where applicable!

View attachment 229298
Do you know which applications would come with a 5 rib belt. I have a leak at the balancer seal so I was going to get a 5 rib belt and put the original 5 rib balancer on to see if that stops the leak. Also what length? my current belt is a 5060555 (2011) and seemed to short - I ****** up one of my fingers trying to get the tensioner to move enough to get the belt on. The 2015s take an even shorter belt - 5060545 (-1 inch) which seems wrong. I looked into getting a 5050555 and that length does not exist. it goes from 545 to 547 to 551 to 565. I figured I would get a 5050565 unless anyone had and info or input on the matter.
Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was there ever a guide made for this swap?
I have a 2011 1.4L Eco Manual that I need to replace.
i can't imagine its anything harder than a engine pull.

i did an engine swap on a kia, and it was identical in complexity. detach trans, unbolt everything, lift out block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a swap from LUJ to LUV. The engine comes nicely out the top with an engine hoist, I even left the A/C compressor and alternator bolted to it for the pull and install. It was actually really easy, the only issue I can confirm is the MAP sensor from the LUV donor didn't agree with the ECU, so I just used the original MAP sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, just a quick FYI for anyone needing this information, I figure someone will need this eventually.

I have a 2011 ECO that had no compression in #3 cylinder (I have not torn down this engine yet, so I don't know the exact failure, but I suspect a piston problem. This car is no longer under warranty, so I had to find an engine. After looking all over the internet for an answer as to whether I could swap in a LUV into this car, I just went ahead and tried it. I can report that my 2011 ECO now has a 2014 LUV engine in it, all I did was swap the intake and exhaust manifolds over from the LUJ. There are no issues with cam timing or anything else.

The reason I wanted to try a LUV engine was that I found one with 20K on it for super cheap. It was half the price of any LUJ, and the LUJs all had high mileage. Plus I didn't want to have another piston issue. Car runs like a champ. Zero issues.

Hopefully this information will help someone. There are a ton more LUVs on the road than LUJs, so it may be a better option for those with engine issues.
Hello. I know this is an old post but this information does help me out quite a bit. I do still have dome questions and would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Basically the same thing here with me. I have a 2012 chevy cruze ltz rs luj and am needing to replace the engine. About the only thing I'm finding with lower miles and pricing is the luv. I'm looking at one right now out of a 2016 encore and was told by the seller that this engine will work for my vehicle.

I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about this stuff. I'm not replacing myself just trying to find a replacement for a shop to swap out for me.

If anyone can give me a little help I'd appreciate it. Will this motor actually work in my car, will the turbo from my 2012 swap over to the newer engine, mounting, wiring etc... gonna work.

Am I even looking at the right motor..if not what should I be looking for, and what would be a year range cut off.

I just don't want to run into any issues with getting the wrong motor. Happened once before on a transfer case I bought for a truck where I was told the one out of an 04 Yukon would work on my 01 Silverado but once I got everything mounted I figured out that the wiring for the actuator was different.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 2012 chevy cruze ltz rs LUJ and am needing to replace the engine.

I'm looking at [an LUV] right now out of a 2016 encore and was told by the seller that this engine will work for my vehicle.
This article is worth reading. It says the LUJ and LUV are identical.

If they are, that doesn't necessarily make it a guaranteed drop-in - there could still be some minor differences due to the source being an Encore - maybe a bracket somewhere, for example. Hopefully someone here more knowledgeable than I am can add to this.

Be sure to select the LUJ vs. LUV tab.

HTH.
Doug

21 - 27 of 27 Posts