Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

LUZ oil cooler revival thread. Have a couple questions please.

1720 8
Hello all, sorry, I didnt want to revive an old thread and couldnt find any answers. Hopefully they are stupid questions and we can move on...for now :sneaky:

14 LUZ 107,000 miles. oil leaking from the oil cooler area. The plan is simple. replace the oil cooler/filter assembly and both hoses. now, I looked at the procedure in Alldata and it states that the seals themselves are not available to purchase, if they are bad, the entire assembly needs to be replaced. it states to clean and inspect the seal area is all. Is that accurate? seems like a very serviceable item. ideas? help? experiences?

secondly are the infamous plastic hoses. i have read here about reusing the connectors coupled with 5/8" coolant line. anyone have any photos of how those clips are removed or heard anything about the longevity of that mod? thanks for any input.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
I just used a mini hook tool and pulled. They snap right off and can be put back in. But FYI those hoses will crumble, so if you have to pull them off you better buy new ones. Or else just save the ends and put your own hose on the ends.

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys. From what I gathered, a couple people slit the plastic up lengthwise, peeled that back and off. Attached a 5/8 rad coolant line to it with I assume simple hose clamps. Simple enough now that I’ve seen it. (Famous last words).

Any clue on the cooler seals? If they aren’t serviceable, then where would it leak from? The housing itself ? 🤷‍♂️ No oil in the coolant or visa versa, just trickling down here and there

· Registered
302 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. From what I gathered, a couple people slit the plastic up lengthwise, peeled that back and off. Attached a 5/8 rad coolant line to it with I assume simple hose clamps. Simple enough now that I’ve seen it. (Famous last words).

Any clue on the cooler seals? If they aren’t serviceable, then where would it leak from? The housing itself ? 🤷‍♂️ No oil in the coolant or visa versa, just trickling down here and there
The oil cooler seals are just o-rings. Replace with new Viton rings and they’ll never leak again. GM used crappy materials on the engine most of these oil leaks can be permanently resolved with Viton.

· Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil cooler seals are just o-rings. Replace with new Viton rings and they’ll never leak again. GM used crappy materials on the engine most of these oil leaks can be permanently resolved with Viton.
Really? S***, not sure why GM makes those unavailable if they’re just orings. Thanks man, got 180 pc set Viton for $20. Should find em in there somewhere.

· Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s the plan.

Gas Shock absorber Auto part Coil spring Suspension

The coupling was removed (simple slit with a box cutter and peeled the hose back and off). I’ll do the same to the other three ends and connect them with heater hose and standard hose clamp? Thoughts?

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
You know any big box auto repair stores that sell them so you can just walk in and compare what you have to what you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.