Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just joined, see the wealth of info out here on the Cruze. I just browsed and definitely see some fixes I want to try in the future. Also, I see a lot of knowledgable guys on here and I am hoping to steal some of that expertise for my own benefit.

I have a '12 ECO MT. Bought the car from a dealership in June 2018, with 107k miles, one owner. I have used it for highway commute to work since. Love the car, only had 1 issue with it right after buying it, which was replacing the battery. To my knowledge, there has been NO major warranty work done to it (new motor, water pump, tranny, etc).

Fast forward: A few months ago I noticed a 'chirping' sound when I would be sitting still, that would increase in frequency when moving forward, not when revving the motor. It happened with the car in neutral, in gear, clutch in and clutch out. Due to my busy schedule, I put it on the 'get to it when I can list.' Well, a couple of months back I began to have issues with the car randomly popping out of 3rd gear, mostly during acceleration, although it seemed to occur randomly. It slowly increased in frequency until it was happening all of the time, and I would have to hold it in place in order to stay. Well, shortly thereafter it did not seem to like third gear and would grind every time it was held in 3rd gear, and would not engage, only engine rev. So, I decided to skip 3rd temporarily until I had time to dig into it. I have also noticed that when in neutral, the shifter will vibrate like crazy like it is really loose. Now, over the last week or so, if I am stopped at a traffic light, in neutral, the DIC will show a "Service Stabilitrak" and "Service Traction Control" message randomly. I have also started to experience the engine revving rpm when shifting from gear to neutral.

Yes, I realize I should have taken the time to address the issues earlier, I chalk that up to a stupid tax. But I am ready to fix this girl up. Some brief browsing seems to point to the factory fluid fill being low, and as mentioned, I am not sure that any service has ever been done to it since it was new. I now have 146k miles on it so I am sure it is long overdue.

I used my factory manual and RPO code to find that I have the M32 tranny, which I could find little information on the internet about. I plan to do a clutch change, fluid change with the updated fill using AMSOIL, and quite possibly hard part change if I have a worn 3rd gear (or who knows what else I may find in there). With that being said, I am sure some will have the thought process to just by a replacement, which if I have no other choice I will have to do so, but is there any good info out there on an M32 rebuild, and any recommended rebuild kit brands? Also, is it possible that I am looking at the worst case, and perhaps these symptoms actually point to something simpler? If so, I may still do a rebuild while I have it pulled out given the notoriety of these trannys and problems.

Any help and words of the wise are appreciated. I am going to continue to browse other threads in the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in a similar situation myself, where I need to address a worn out, early model M32 (MF3) transmission from my 2012 ECO (built. I get the gear whine in all gears, plus neutral, and have been doing the AMSOIL fluid change and overfill. I'm at 136k+ miles, now.

This is a European transmission that nobody works on in the US. Planning to buy a new one from the dealership, but would love other options for a new unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts