Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 visits to the dealership in the last 2 weeks for check engine lights, I am seriously debating whether or not to trade my diesel Cruze. Today I decided to go back through the paperwork to see how many times it has been in the shop in the 1.5 years I've owned the Cruze to help me make this decision.

10/19/13 Purchased new 2014 Cruze Diesel
01/07/14 Cruze gels leaving me stranded, stuck with tow cost (Chevy wouldn't reimburse even though I had roadside assistance) leaving me with no vehicle for 4 days. Dealer cant find anything wrong and doesn't know what happened.
05/21/14 Check Engine Light (CEL) goes on, dealer replaces 02 sensor (#1264486) No vehicle for 6 days while they order parts and check for strange noise. Drivers side sunshade mirror cover broke off & replaced.
09/18/14 CEL (suspiciously occurs 2 weeks after having oil change/DEF refilled @ dealer) air duct was replaced (#22839776) & a separator replaced (#19303372) NOX & HO2 sensors cleaned. No car for 4 days. Drivers side sunshade cover AGAIN replaced (not even used- plastic deteriorating)
10/07/14 Exhaust Fluid Low Quality warning on dash. Warning goes away on trip to dealer. Dealer has no idea what was going on. No car for 1 day. (loaner given)
11/24/14 Engine RPM much higher than usual while driving around town. Dealer cant find anything wrong. During drive with mechanic he admits he doesn't know diesels well. They added fuel conditioner. No car 7 days (was given a loaner) I think this was a bad gasoline issue. Eventually resolves on its own.
3/23/15 Get locked out of running car for 5 hours. Doors did auto lock when I put key in and got back out to shovel around car. Missed 1 day of work. On Star no help.
06/17/15 CEL (suspiciously occurs 1 week after having oil change/DEF refilled @ dealer) NOX sensor replaced (#12641557) Plastic roof trim replaced (more random plastic parts deteriorating). No vehicle 2 days.
06/19/15 CEL & Service Exhaust warning go on 30 seconds after leaving dealership from previous problem pickup. Ruined weekend roadtrip. No car 4 days. Was told bad batch of NOX sensors were sent out of GM warehouse. New NOX replaced (#12662659)
06/25/15 CEL goes on next morning after picking up car from previous problem. Dealer said GM issued something that needed reprogramming, a module. No car 2 days (was given loaner).

I am at wits end wit with all the service and repairs. This doesn't eve include the regular maintenance. I feel as if they can't service a diesel (the above nonsense came from 3 different dealer service shops). I paid extra for the 100,000 mile warranty, which kicks in after 36,000, and I am currently at 31,500. Went to VW to look at regular gas Jetta and was told I could get my $1,800 back for the extended warranty if I sold prior to 36,000 mile mark. I am not a car buff, and I'm beginning to feel like this car is more than what I can handle. And on top of that the dealers are 45 min + away from my house.

Should I give up and sell this thing? I love the car, the interior is comfortable, and it has lots of nice features. The iPhone synching issues are annoying. I am under water on it a bit too. I thought these would hold their value a little better. Dealer offered me $15,200.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I feel as if they can't service a diesel (the above nonsense came from 3 different dealer service shops)
Yes. The part I clipped is critical. If you can't find a dealership that can handle the car it will be nothing but frustration for you.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
"I feel as if they can't service a diesel (the above nonsense came from 3 different dealer service shops)"
Maybe this is another reason GM pulled diesel for a year so they can focus on training techs to properly repair, service and diagnose these engines. They might have had a internal disconnect between training and the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
It is never fun for a car that has issues, but the concern I would have is the length of time it takes to get car repaired each time. If you have techs working on the car that are not properly trained that would be very frustrating.

·
Registered
157 Posts
IMO you need to do your own service on this car. Ever since I stopped taking my car in problems have seem to end. The oil and DEF refills are a piece of cake if you can do any of this yourself. A lot of CTD owners have had issues soon after service is done at the dealers. If you can't do the work find a good mechanic that you can trust but in your case the dealers look like they have your car pretty screwed up now. I would seriously consider possible lemon law or trade in if this were mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the lemon laws for Illinois, I am past the 12 month limit.

I would LOVE to do the service myself, but I just don't think I am in the position- young female (not that it should matter) never owned a car before, don't really know anything about cars, don't have a garage, don't have tools, and the car is parked outside in alley where weirdos hang out. It's because of these reasons I bought an $1,800 extended warranty and now realize I've paid them to give me major headaches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The most frustrating part of all this is the lack of knowledge at the dealership. This past time I asked if I should take the car on a long highway run to burn the soot off the sensor. The service guy said he would ask the tech and call me back. I get a call back and he said "the service tech does not recommend you try to burn out your sensors. " What the ?!? I tried to explain the issue with the sensor and the carbon/soot. He spoke to the tech again, and called back and said "these cars were not designed to burn soot off on the highway. Only diesel trucks are designed to do that."

:question:

When it gelled last winter, the techs at the garage had never heard of it. And they refused to listen when I tried to explain. I certainly do not know a ton about cars (only what I have learned here) but I feel more qualified than the diesel techs at any Chevy garage in the Chicagoland area. I wonder if I kept the car if I could get my $1,800 back before the warranty kicks after 36,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I've been down your road before. 51 repair visits in the first 15 months of ownership. The dealer said he'd make me happy when the courts ordered him to and the manufacturer refused to help. 18 months into a 60 month loan, I traded it in on a new car from a different manufacturer. It was a pain in the wallet, but after the new car was paid off, it was all worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The problem with the diesel cruzes is that most American manufacturers are stupid when it comes to small diesel engines (trucks excluded). They can throw something together and make it work, and that's it. They don't really understand it and the budget for the 2.0L is too tiny to have a good quality build. IMHO if you want a good diesel car, get a Volkswagen. If you don't care if it's a diesel, trade it in and get a non-diesel cruze. The non-diesels are good for the price and simple to work on. Plenty of guides for anything you need on the forum for them, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Jaax,

As I read your post(s) it appears to me you are using your CTD as a downtown Chicago short trip car.
If this is the case, and you have no need to be on the highway for any length of time with any frequency, then you probably should get rid of the Diesel.

The continual short/no full warmup driving is not what the diesel was designed for and no amount of component replacement will make it succeed for this use.
You would have the same results regardless of who manufactured the car.....be they VW or GM.

I too recommend getting off the diesel and onto a conventional gasoline fueled vehicle......otherwise you will have nothing but aggravation.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Registered
692 Posts
Jaax,

As I read your post(s) it appears to me you are using your CTD as a downtown Chicago short trip car.
If this is the case, and you have no need to be on the highway for any length of time with any frequency, then you probably should get rid of the Diesel.

The continual short/no full warmup driving is not what the diesel was designed for and no amount of component replacement will make it succeed for this use.
You would have the same results regardless of who manufactured the car.....be they VW or GM.

I too recommend getting off the diesel and onto a conventional gasoline fueled vehicle......otherwise you will have nothing but aggravation.

Good luck!
Rob
This is why I have decided not to upgrade to the Diesel, I do a lot of city driving, and not much highway. Also, the gas engine almost gets as good MPG in the city as the Diesel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do live in the city, but I make 30 mile trips each way to work, about 25 of the miles are highway. Is this not long enough?

I make shorter trips around the city for errands of course as well, but only a few times a week.

Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
That should be enough for the DPF regens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm going to hold onto it through the winter and see what happens. Keep my fingers crossed it has no more issues.

I went to get trade-in quotes and its 4k under water. The new cars I test drove didn't even have as many features. I would have to roll 4k on top of my next loan, extend the length of the loan back out, and be driving a car that doesn't have remote start, sunroof, etc.

I wish I could find a dealership in the area I could trust. The list I've tried, from absolute worst to moderately bad is: Rogers Chevy Chicago, Christenson in Highland, and Phillips Frankfort. Anyone else in northern IL know a good dealership or mechanic?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you cancel the warranty the refund will be handled one of two ways:

1) If you have a loan the refund will be applied to the back end of your loan. It won't lower your payment, you'll just owe less and pay it off that much sooner.

2) If you don't have a loan you will get the refund.

I decided to purchase the extended warranty on my Cruze to cover all the electronics, if that 7" screen goes bad it's probably $1000 to replace. Believe me, during the next 60 months/100,000 miles I'll get the $1100 out of the warranty company I paid them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone think I will get $1,800 worth of failed parts covered under warranty between 36,000 and 100,000 miles? Given the way my car has been behaving, maybe so!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I think you should cut your losses. I also got a bad one and traded it in. It seems if you get a bad one it will never end. You hope each time is the last time but it keeps breaking. The real problem is the lack of confidence you have in the vehicle. If I cant trust my car to go on a 400 mile trip its got to go. The dealers don't really matter. They all take their marching orders from tech support on this car. The wait time for parts is too long. If you cant get out from under it now. Try to do it before it goes out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts