Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

just bought a gps tracker to the cruze. i have the wiring read to connect to a 12v source. the problem is that it has to be conected to the battery directly since every 12v sources in the car such as lighters, brake lights, etc etc etc...work only when the car is on and the gps tracker needs to be always on.

how can i conect this to the battery directly?is there any point of the battery that uses 12v?

ive tought of two points but i have no room there for the gps tracker, that is the front and rear inside reading lights of the car. any tip of whre the wires from those lights pass?thanks

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Could OP use one of the empty fuse spots in the fuse block? I would think the GPS unit would come with instructions on how to do this.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is gonna need to be connected to the battery. Do not forget that these cars are smart and won't let the battery go dead. If it is connected to an accessory that can be on when the car is off, there will be a point when it drains the battery enough to activate the system that shuts it all down to save the battery. For that matter I believe the system is based on time and not actual battery voltage.

I know if I shut the car off and leave the radio on it shuts off at exactly 20 mins every time.

Sent from my XT912 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
That's documented. There are two fuse blocks in the car. One in the engine compartment, which is always live and one in the passenger compartment, which shuts off after 20 minutes. OP wants to plug into the engine compartment fuse box.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
checked that and i have not one but two emptys...just to make sure im gonna conect it to the left one. the inline fuse, a 6A should do it right?thanks
Check your equipment to get the current draw. Make the fuse about 20% larger than the equipment draws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts