Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know there have been issues/recalls/etc for the negative battery cable.

Now, for my 2012 1LT, 1.4 liter turbo, why can't I make my own?
As long as it's at least the same gauge and goes through the current monitor thingamajig, I don't see why I cannot make my own?

The reason I'm asking this, is my second cable I am sure is giving me issues again, and while at work I made my own out of 2/0 welding cable with a copper end for the chassis ground, and a normal replacement battery post attachment.
I was sure to have it go through the current monitor thing.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
A number of folks here have made their own cables as you have suggested using 2/0 welding cable. Others have repaired the existing cable by drilling a hole into the crimp and soldering.

Either way the common recommendation is to solder the crimps to ensure solid contact and prevent future failure due to corrosion.

As I recall the Special Coverage is good for 10 years or 120,000 miles. But like you say, no guarantees the replacement cable won’t fail too.

Reactions: mikestony

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A number of folks here have made their own cables as you have suggested using 2/0 welding cable. Others have repaired the existing cable by drilling a hole into the crimp and soldering.

Either way the common recommendation is to solder the crimps to ensure solid contact and prevent future failure due to corrosion.

As I recall the Special Coverage is good for 10 years or 120,000 miles. But like you say, no guarantees the replacement cable won’t fail too.
Ah ok good. I didn't know (I really didn't think so) if the size of the replacement/homemade cable made a difference as far as the current monitor thing. I realize going smaller is not wise at all, but going bigger I would think would be ok....just the question of the current monitor.
Thanks!

And @Blasirl, that's good to know, but based upon the cost of replacement vs. the inconvenience (for me) of going to chevy again is not worth it :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish I could go in and have the dealer verify the issue, charge GM for the labor and part, but give me the negative cable and let me install it. Too many coincidences when I go in for service at a dealership. Had the car for 4 hours, didn't do anything that was requested, and a week later my PCV valve goes out just as the powertrain warranty did. Go in to get a coolant leak warranty repaired for the 2nd time, get hit with a "coolant tank that won't let them pressurize the system".

·
Registered
15 Posts
For cheap you can always just get 4 gauge wire, put terminals on the ends, and just add it along with the existing wire. I've had mine replaced once already, and I just did the "big 3" upgrade on top of factory wires with no issues. Also got some voltage increase as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts