Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so bear with me, this is not some kid attempt to get my cruze to sound like a race car. what i want is to make the cruze more audible to my inputs. during my autocross events all windows down i can hardly hardly hear if the car is near its up shift point. before i know it im at 4,500 rpm and the car sounds as quiet as a bicycle. i know that this is great for 70% of consumers but i want to hear my car respond to me. i want to hear the turbo whistle loud and audible because it gives me a better feel for what the car needs ( plus not all that much exhaust tone on a diesel so intake must do)

i know there is the snorkel remove mod and AEM now has a intake system ( will be buying soon) but in terms of exhaust there is nothing that can be done correct? i know turbos act as a muffler on there own and from the DPF down there is absolutely nothing to remove... its just one long straight pipe. Got to give credit this car is one quiet diesel but i want to hear the intake and exhaust. im sure if i where to add a cheap glass pack it might make the car more raspy but audible but that doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ok so bear with me, this is not some kid attempt to get my cruze to sound like a race car.
wait for it

what i want is to make the cruze more audible to my inputs. During my autocross events all windows down i can hardly hardly hear if the car is near its up shift point. Before i know it im at 4,500 rpm and the car sounds as quiet as a bicycle. I know that this is great for 70% of consumers but i want to hear my car respond to me. I want to hear the turbo whistle loud and audible becuase it gives me a better feel for what the car needs.

I know there is the snorkel remove mod and aem now has a intake system ( will be buying soon) but in terms of exhaust there is nothing that can be done correct? I know turbos act as a muffler on there own and from the dpf down there is absolutely nothing to remove... Its just one long straight pipe. Got to give credit this car is one quiet diesel but i want to hear the intake and exhaust. Im sure if i where to add a cheap glass pack it might make the car more raspy but audible but that doesn't sit well with me.
ta-da!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,634 Posts
As far as exhaust goes on the diesel...besides removing the SCR...you're pretty much out of luck. It already doesn't have a muffler, and it's already 2.5" in diameter. Not much else to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as exhaust goes on the diesel...besides removing the SCR...you're pretty much out of luck. It already doesn't have a muffler, and it's already 2.5" in diameter. Not much else to do at this point
My thoughts exactly. i have to congratulate GM for making such a refined diesel but a bit more feedback from the motor would be appropriated, heck the TDI VW even has a sports mode. i love how quiet it is daily but when pushed you can hardly tell its even running.

hey if you read the post im not looking to make the car sound whapppa pa race car noise only to hear then engine a bit more for feed back. its hard to tell shift points when you cant hear an absolute thing

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why do you need to alter shift points? The Pcm is better than you at determining upshift points.

You can easily know when you need downshifts.

It's not a manual. The Pcm still has control of your shifts even when you pretend you do.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you read the post im not altering shift points, i want to hear what the engine is doing. in manual mode it will not downshift unless absolutely necessary and it hold gears to reline unless i dictates it. in automatic its another story. the ECM is programmed for economy not for performance, we cant use economy in autocross

·
Registered
138 Posts
What about a shift light? Tap off tach signal and adjust light for desired shift point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you read the post im not altering shift points, i want to hear what the engine is doing. in manual mode it will not downshift unless absolutely necessary and it hold gears to reline unless i dictates it. in automatic its another story. the ECM is programmed for economy not for performance, we cant use economy in autocross
Lol, while accelerating use automatic mode. While decelerating use manual mode.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude no, if you leave it in automatic it will always shift up to save gas at all times. leave it in manual mode when your on the track. mpgeez you have never tracked the cruze or other cars have you?

guys we are getting side tracked, im looking for maybe another way besides the stated to get a bit more feedback from the motor

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also need to add that your idea of adding a glass-pack is adding a muffler. A glass pack is a muffler.

Why would you do that to make a Eco diesel automatic sound like a race car?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about a shift light? Tap off tach signal and adjust light for desired shift point.
i was thinking about that but of all my years of racing since was small i always shifted by feel and sound but all where gas no diesels. on the cbr1000 just by noise i can know where i am. Same with my supra, it told me by sound when it wanted to shift up or down and i never looked at the tach

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also need to add that your idea of adding a glass-pack is adding a muffler. A glass pack is a muffler.

Why would you do that to make a Eco diesel automatic sound like a race car?

im sure if i where to add a cheap glass pack it might make the car more raspy but audible but that doesn't sit well with me
not some kid attempt to get my cruze to sound like a race car. what i want is to make the cruze more audible to my inputs
you really dont read do you? when you have clean flow of undisturbed air a glass pack would only change the tone and hinder performance as i stated i would not do

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Lol, while accelerating use automatic mode. While decelerating use manual mode.
Dude no, if you leave it in automatic it will always shift up to save gas at all times. leave it in manual mode when your on the track. mpgeez you have never tracked the cruze or other cars have you?

guys we are getting side tracked, im looking for maybe another way besides the stated to get a bit more feedback from the motor
yeah, MPGeez...youve never taking an economy car to a track? whats wrong with you?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, MPGeez...youve never taking an economy car to a track? whats wrong with you?
common man there are many of us here who track day our cruzes. yes they are economy cars but they are still fun. i love being able to drive to my autocross track, run 5 laps, and still only burn 2.5 gallons.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The turbo effectively kills most of the exaust noise on the diesel....hence, no muffler.
There is a resonator at the mid point but that just knocks off drone......If you removed it you can look straight through it......it just softens the sound pulses.

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts

Why would I track the Cruze? That's hilarious.

You're the expert, but this:
Auto while accelerating, manual while decelerating, manual if you're light throttle will solve your problem. If it doesn't you're doing it wrong. There is plenty of feedback without needing to hear the turbo whistle and exhaust note.

I can't remember a single time I shifted based off the turbo sound. By the way if you want more turbo noise weld an atmospheric vent pipe to the waste gate exhaust. Racecar noise PROBLEM SOLVED. No seriously. That is all you need. Google it.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when the cruze is in automatic it always always keeps in a high gear to save fuel, i dont want it in high gear i want it to hold my gears and manual mode does that. i didn't say im shifting by turbo noise, i want the engine to be more audible that's it. go back to the Honda forum and pass that half witted idea to them. im sorry that if some of us here enjoy having some fun once in a while in a legal way vs the street and not all of us have money for a separate race car.

im done responding to your ignorance and inability to read.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The turbo effectively kills most of the exaust noise on the diesel....hence, no muffler.
There is a resonator at the mid point but that just knocks off drone......If you removed it you can look straight through it......it just softens the sound pulses.
thats what i figured and i do believe that nothing can be really done but i was hoping maybe someone had done somthing and gotten good results otherwise from the collective experience here

·
Registered
50 Posts

Rob
Turbos don't lower volume that much. They still need a type of muffler to get to legal decibel levels. The pipe diameter, resonator, turbo and DEF systems are all "mufflers."

·
Registered
50 Posts
when the cruze is in automatic it always always keeps in a high gear to save fuel, i dont want it in high gear i want it to hold my gears and manual mode does that. i didn't say im shifting by turbo noise, i want the engine to be more audible that's it. go back to the Honda forum and pass that half witted idea to them. im sorry that if some of us here enjoy having some fun once in a while in a legal way vs the street and not all of us have money for a separate race car.

im done responding to your ignorance and inability to read.
You're funny.

If you want noise, weld on an atmospheric wastegate exhaust outlet.

While accelerating you should understand that if you're at or near wot the pcm no longer commands/requests Eco shift points. It uses "performance" shift points. So if you'd just try what I'm saying you'll see I'm right.

If I'm wrong could you explain why shift points raise in automatic mode under high TPS? Economy shift points still remain at low RPMs. Any PCM programmer knows that RPM influences mpg more than anything so if they wanted mpg at all times they'd limit your shift points at all times.

You can switch from manual to auto on the fly.

I've been racing, driving, modifying, tuning cars and bikes for a very long time.
There are a considerable amount of things you can do to increase volume that anybody that's been around knows. If you want more knowledge don't insult the people with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts