Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my Cruze started making a strange alarm sound. It is coming out of the center dash speaker, like the door chimes do. It has happened 3 times in the past couple of weeks.

There are no lights or warnings on the dash or on the radio. I also plugged in the OBD scanner and there were no codes on the Torque app. The radio keeps playing like normal, except for the alarm sound. It is not affected by the volume knob. And it keeps playing even if the radio is off. I also disconnected the battery for a while after the second time, but the sound came back a couple days later. I also pushed the onstar button and it worked like normal, except that the alarm sounds keeps going. Everything is normal except for that sound.

The only way to get it to stop is to turn off the car, open the door to disable the RAP, but the alarm noise keeps going. After waiting about 30 seconds after the RAP turns off, the alarm stops. Then I can start the car again and the noise is gone.

Here is what it sounds like.

https://youtu.be/7dPWjassw8M

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If one of the radios the eeprom was read on I'd suspect some kind of data corruption causing it, the output to that channel is programmable in the amp IC and it's possible the routine is looping for some reason, most of the code to run the radio resides in the flash eeprom but basic setup data is also stored in the eeprom everybody has been messing with, if you have a backup copy of the original eeprom burn it back and see what you have

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
To me, it doesn't sound like an alarm as much as a ring/notification tone. I'd unpair your phone from the radio - just to make sure. (And to keep the dealer from pointing fingers.)

If you don't have any ODBII devices plugged in, I'm thinking it may be a bad radio. The various sounds in the Cruze are created by the radio based on signals found on the car's computer bus. This includes things like turn signal clicks, etc.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one of the radios the eeprom was read on I'd suspect some kind of data corruption causing it, the output to that channel is programmable in the amp IC and it's possible the routine is looping for some reason, most of the code to run the radio resides in the flash eeprom but basic setup data is also stored in the eeprom everybody has been messing with, if you have a backup copy of the original eeprom burn it back and see what you have
The first 2 times it happened was actually before I swapped the radio to MyLink. That was one of the main reasons I decided to finally get the swap done. I thought it might have something to do with the radio. It has happened once afterwards. MyLink is working great BTW.

Maybe a ring notification like @ChevyGuy says. If it happens again, I will try turning off my phone and see what happens.

After the last time it happened, I plugged in the OBD reader. There were no codes, but I told it to reset them anyway. Maybe that did something. Only time will tell. It doesn't happen very often. Only 3 times in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
That's wicked. I got nothing but wild guesses. Maybe seat belt alarm (module?) gone wild.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happened again this morning. I turned off my cell phone with no effect. I turned everything on and off, clicked all the buttons and knobs, made an onstar call, all with no effect. Finally, I put the car in neutral, shut off the engine and then restarted it. The noise continued after the restart, but then the Service Stabilitrac Warning came up on the DIC and the sound went away and then the warning went away.

Maybe it has something to do with the negative ground cable problem. Either that or one of the modules has a problem. Or maybe there is a time bomb in my BCM that was designed to go off 1 month after the B2B warranty expired.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another radio to try ? there have been radio issues reported with the ground problem but never one report of a noise like that, at this point process of elimination since no codes are set, the Service Stabilitrac Warning is a clue of some buss trouble---hmmmm remember reading about the differences in the comm speed and bit size as GM changed the architecture spec, white automotive is the expert and he re-writes the code to accommodate these changes when upgrading to a newer radio, so if its a newer radio this can be the cause of erratic behavior on the buss, something is initiating the sound which is developed in the radio for sure

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another radio to try ? there have been radio issues reported with the ground problem but never one report of a noise like that, at this point process of elimination since no codes are set, the Service Stabilitrac Warning is a clue of some buss trouble---hmmmm remember reading about the differences in the comm speed and bit size as GM changed the architecture spec, white automotive is the expert and he re-writes the code to accommodate these changes when upgrading to a newer radio, so if its a newer radio this can be the cause of erratic behavior on the buss, something is initiating the sound which is developed in the radio for sure
The noise started when the stock green screen radio was still in the car, and continued after the upgrade. I do have two more radios I can try though.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Not likely in radio then
Agreed.

Note that many code readers are limited and may not read all the codes in the car. You might try a different one, or see if there's a way to get expanded capability.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed.

Note that many code readers are limited and may not read all the codes in the car. You might try a different one, or see if there's a way to get expanded capability.
Good point. Maybe I can find someone with a Tech 2 that would be willing to scan the codes for cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Do you have OnStar service? I'm not sure how that works, but doesn't it have a phone number attached? I wonder what happens if someone calls your number?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have OnStar service? I'm not sure how that works, but doesn't it have a phone number attached? I wonder what happens if someone calls your number?
I never renewed it after the initial trial period. I think there is still a number, but I don't think it works unless you pay for minutes. I will try calling it to see what happens.

On a side note: It was raining today so I decided to test the Stabilitrak, Traction Control and ABS. They are all working perfectly, LOL.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Something else you can try is call GM's Infotainment group. Maybe they can identify the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something else you can try is call GM's Infotainment group. Maybe they can identify the sound.
Good idea.

I tried calling the car and it says, the Verizon number you are calling is not available.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Door chime sound works OK?
Yes, everything in the car works perfectly. No warning lights or notifications.

I noticed that my battery terminals are highly oxidized. I am going to clean them and all of the ground connections today. I also noticed that my headlights are starting to dim when I press the brake pedal. Maybe my battery is not very strong anymore, and the terminals are not getting a very good connection causing the BCM to do strange things.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, everything in the car works perfectly. No warning lights or notifications.

I noticed that my battery terminals are highly oxidized. I am going to clean them and all of the ground connections today. I also noticed that my headlights are starting to dim when I press the brake pedal. Maybe my battery is not very strong anymore, and the terminals are not getting a very good connection causing the BCM to do strange things.
A good digital meter will quickly determine the condition of your battery, cables and grounds
Battery just measure at posts when starter is on, puling coil connector will prevent start so you can lay on it and see if the battery stays up
the cables measure the voltage drop from terminal to terminal, the grounds measure terminal to other side of what it's connected to
And yes all sorts of havoc can and does happen from any of these problems, think of 15+ computers all booting up and reading out their operation code as the power sags and surges----

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.