Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 cruze eco 6sp mt 191k miles

code p0496 - EVAP Flow During Non-Purge Condition

I experienced the symptons of this code 3-4-14 after filling up with gas the engine would crank but not turn over. This is the first time ever this engine did not start immeditatly. After waiting a few seconds I attempted to start the engine and after a 2 second hesitation it started but the idle was rough and stalled. I started the engine a 3rd time and used the throttle to rev the engine and drove off just fine. I drove 300 miles and cycled the engine several times that day. The next day I start the car up fine but notice a p0496 code. I fillup the car with gas again and experience the exact same symptons. I decided to call my service agent and bring the car to the dealership and will have more information regarding the diagnostics and repairs 3-6-14. I will say except for being unable to start the car up immediately the car and engine seemed to be operating normally with no other symptons.

After some research it seems a likely cause will be an inexpensive repair consisting of replacing
ACDELCO Part # 22740537 SOLENOID,Evaporative Emission Canister or ACDELCO Part # 55573017 VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister PURGE SOL. Obviously a diagnosis will be required first to find out the cause but I hope its nothing more then replacing these parts and not a large crack or leak in the system.

I am not concernced about this code it seems to be just a minor inconvenience and another excuse for me to talk with my service agent at the dealership who I have a great relationship with.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
This is a very common failure with all cars, as this part is usually mounted under the car by the fuel tank & is exposed to the elements. There is a chance some ice has formed or accumulated on the purge solenoid not allowing things to work properly.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I might add, topping the tank after the pump shuts off can cause the valve to fail as well.
Sometimes you can get the fuel level high enouph for the purge to inhale liquid fuel......it is designed for vapor control.
The liquid, over time, damages the rubber diaphram within the valve.

In your case though, I'm going to say the poor ole thing just finally died of high mileage, heh heh.

Rob

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allright well it turns out the purge valve needed to be replaced. The tech made a comment on the invoice. " code p0496 stored, traced to failed evap purge valve pulling raw fuel into intake. replace purge valve and retest ( ok ) "

I have to agree the valve was worn due to the amount of use it recieved. I dont make the mistake of topping off the tank.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I will say the most likely cause could have been the solenoid or the valve but I really had no way of knowing for sure without preforming the neccesasry vaccum tests which I dont have access to the proper tools or knowledge base.

Regarding replacing the part myself I have searched the internet and my engine and havent been able to locate this purge valve. I locatated a valve I thought might be the purge valve it was located on top of the intake apart of the fuel lines but it turned out to be a fuel tank evap control valve. Its possible in the future if necessary this might be a part I could replace myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i had this code on my 2013 cruze 1.4t. i replaced the purge valve/solenoid and it went away after about 50 miles. this part is located on top of the engine at the back and is easily changed. the gm# is 55573017 for this model cruze with the 1.4t engine.

once you see the part and look at your engine on the top at the back you'll see it as it's pretty obvious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts