Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 cruze eco 6sp mt 191k miles

code p0496 - EVAP Flow During Non-Purge Condition

I experienced the symptons of this code 3-4-14 after filling up with gas the engine would crank but not turn over. This is the first time ever this engine did not start immeditatly. After waiting a few seconds I attempted to start the engine and after a 2 second hesitation it started but the idle was rough and stalled. I started the engine a 3rd time and used the throttle to rev the engine and drove off just fine. I drove 300 miles and cycled the engine several times that day. The next day I start the car up fine but notice a p0496 code. I fillup the car with gas again and experience the exact same symptons. I decided to call my service agent and bring the car to the dealership and will have more information regarding the diagnostics and repairs 3-6-14. I will say except for being unable to start the car up immediately the car and engine seemed to be operating normally with no other symptons.

After some research it seems a likely cause will be an inexpensive repair consisting of replacing
ACDELCO Part # 22740537 SOLENOID,Evaporative Emission Canister or ACDELCO Part # 55573017 VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister PURGE SOL. Obviously a diagnosis will be required first to find out the cause but I hope its nothing more then replacing these parts and not a large crack or leak in the system.

I am not concernced about this code it seems to be just a minor inconvenience and another excuse for me to talk with my service agent at the dealership who I have a great relationship with.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allright well it turns out the purge valve needed to be replaced. The tech made a comment on the invoice. " code p0496 stored, traced to failed evap purge valve pulling raw fuel into intake. replace purge valve and retest ( ok ) "

I have to agree the valve was worn due to the amount of use it recieved. I dont make the mistake of topping off the tank.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I will say the most likely cause could have been the solenoid or the valve but I really had no way of knowing for sure without preforming the neccesasry vaccum tests which I dont have access to the proper tools or knowledge base.

Regarding replacing the part myself I have searched the internet and my engine and havent been able to locate this purge valve. I locatated a valve I thought might be the purge valve it was located on top of the intake apart of the fuel lines but it turned out to be a fuel tank evap control valve. Its possible in the future if necessary this might be a part I could replace myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts