Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLEVELAND — A man who spent nearly 40 years in prison for a murder he did not commit filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday against the city of Cleveland and the police officers whom he says helped frame him in 1975.
Ricky Jackson was convicted at age 18 along with two others because of the testimony of a 12-year-old boy. Jackson, 58, was exonerated in November after that witness, a man now in his early 50s, recanted his testimony.

The witness, Eddie Vernon, said in 2013 that police detectives threatened to put his parents in jail and coerced him into implicating Jackson and brothers Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman in the slaying of salesman Harold Franks outside a corner store.
Jackson and the Bridgemans received death sentences that were later commuted to life in prison. Jackson's attorneys say their client is believed to have served the longest prison term in the U.S. for someone wrongfully convicted.
The lawsuit alleges that eight officers, including detectives and their supervisors, were involved in framing the three. Some of the officers are now dead.

FULL STORY
Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya!! All these stories now about police coertion sickens me to no end. Not in this case but when DNA evolved it was wonderful in the police world for finding/comvicting criminals. On the flip side it's wonderful for freeing wrongly convicted people due to false testimony, at a high cost to the tax payers from all the lawsuits though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am glad he was finally released and such. I dont know how much he will get from the city of Cleveland. Even though they are better off than Detroit, they are still broke. I have always been one for forensics. I love the fact that DNA testing is working two ways. One to put criminals behind bars and the other to free the wrongfully accused. The one thing that bothers me about the whole system is people who sit on Death Row for decades. I understand that there are people on there that might have been wrongfully accused. With todays technology if there is without a shadow of a doubt that the person convicted is guilty and sentenced to death they dont need to sit on Death Row for decades. Get it over with and stop wasting tax payers money. I say bring back the firing squad and hangings. Those are cheaper than the needle. **** bring them to my back yard. I load my own ammo which is cheap.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But imagine being on death row wrongfully convicted hoping you get freed before your hung/executed?

·
Registered
251 Posts
But imagine being on death row wrongfully convicted hoping you get freed before your hung/executed?

Thats why I said without a shadow of a doubt that the person was guilty. If all evidence points to someone committing the crime then there should be no delay. Now if there was some sort of doubt or the only evidence was eye witness testimony then there could be grounds for retrial. I am stating that if there is DNA evidence, video evidence, or other things that clearly spell out that someone committed the crime. And fingerprints dont really count as this. I cant tell you how many things my fingers have been on that could potentially be used as a murder weapon.....

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I don't understand why when people are executed they have several substances injected into them? I had to have an injured dog put down and the vet just gave one needle and the dog just keeled over and was dead in seconds.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
I don't understand why when people are executed they have several substances injected into them? I had to have an injured dog put down and the vet just gave one needle and the dog just keeled over and was dead in seconds.
If I am not mistaken they need the various chemicals to really not feel pain.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Yea each chemical does something different to the body in this regard. They are so concerned with law suits that the prisoner cannot feel any pain whatsoever or contract any type of infection during the injection. The area is disinfected with alcohol and the needle is sterile. I say they do it with a rusty needle and make it as painful as possible. Or, as stated above, bring them to my backyard. They wont feel a thing.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
The S P C A would not allow animals to feel pain when put down, so I guess most of it is just for show. They use an overdose anaesthetic to put down animals, as I have had surgery on a few occasions in my life I can assure you it is a painless way to go under. The only difference is you wouldn't wake up again.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Gotta wonder who's making the money off of this. You want a painless way for them to die, make them breathe nitrogen. They'll die with a smile on their face. Same basic idea as kids dying of huffing - you displace oxygen while allowing them to exhale CO2. The body's "alarm system" is based on build-up of CO2, not lack of oxygen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts