Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Manual Gerbox

314 7
Hello everyone, tell me, please, what kind of oil to fill in a manual gearbox?
Chevy Cruze 2016 RS, manual gearbox
75W-85 GL4?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Liquid Fluid Material property Bottle cap Rectangle

Here is a good informational link.
The above gear oil is what the manual calls for. GL4 75w85 which is what I used. Unfortunately the price has jumped up dramatically. I paid $62 in 2021. Now it's $90 and higher. 馃槨

Registered
Engine oil in the gearbox?
Yes. Most Diesel engine oils would meet the specs for GL-4 if they were tested as such. You can find synchromesh transmission fluids and when analyzed they are basically 5W-30 Diesel engine oils with some friction modifiers added. The viscosity is close to ATF. If they were tested, they could be classified as GL-4 oils.

You absolutely want to stay away from GL-5 oils. Even if the bottle says it is GL-4 compatible, it's not suitable for synchromesh transmissions. If the bottle says GL-5 anywhere on it, DO NOT USE IT in a GL-4 application (in a manual transmission).

Registered
Yikes, I just noticed the original poster is in Belarus. Maybe Shell Rotella oil isn't widely available near them.

GL-4 gear lube is an absolute requirement for long life of the synchros in the manual gearboxes. GL-5 oils will wear them out prematurely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts