Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car: 2011 Eco 6 speed manual, 988xx miles

For the past couple of thousand miles I've started to get a howl in first gear and a faint howl on the highway in sixth gear. It sounds very similar to when the rear end of a rwd car/truck is going bad. At first I assumed it was truck traffic and their howling rear ends, but then I realized it was only really loud-ish in first gear.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had a problem with the manual transmission in these? I don't have a service manual so I'm not sure how the transmission is set up so that the noise would only be apparent in 1st and 6th gears.

I've got an appointment set for the 27th...I will be within 200 miles of the magic 100K warranty expiration at that time, so I really hope they are able to diagnose and repair or else I'll be trading this puppy in very soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
There have been a few reported failures, just like any other machine.....things fail.

Good news for you is you are still within powertrain coverage.....your description is a mainshaft bearing failure.
There are no parts available for this trans beyond seals and small components.

You'll be getting a complete, new transmission if the shop has no problem hearing what you are experiencing.

If the clutch is original I'd give serious consideration to replacement since the trans is removed on GM's dime and your out of pocket labor would be minimal......making lemonaid from a lemon if you will.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been a few reported failures, just like any other machine.....things fail.

Good news for you is you are still within powertrain coverage.....your description is a mainshaft bearing failure.
There are no parts available for this trans beyond seals and small components.

You'll be getting a complete, new transmission if the shop has no problem hearing what you are experiencing.

If the clutch is original I'd give serious consideration to replacement since the trans is removed on GM's dime and your out of pocket labor would be minimal......making lemonaid from a lemon if you will.

Rob
Thanks for the reply Rob...Believe me, I know things fail, not trying to make a capital case out of it...although my Cruze has been extremely poor regarding reliability. I keep telling myself I just happened to get a bad one, my first unreliable new GM car out of 6.

I am a little surprised they aren't rebuilding these on some level or another. I suppose it isn't an economical proposition for dealers to do that these days.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Agree about the rebuild observation.....evidently when doing a part/labor computation it was determined exchange was the more economical way to go.

Good news for you is the unit has probably undergone several component improvements since 2011 and you are the beneficiary.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
Bearing failures. Have you kept up on fluid replacements in that transmission? The transmission requires a fluid replacement every 45k miles. GM has also updated their specification from a previous 1.8 quarts to 2.4 quarts, likely due to these bearing failures.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Interesting story, my cobalt had the 100,000 mile warranty. At 98xxx miles I broke my trans. When I took it in to have them diagnose it, they called and said your car will be ready in two weeks. I was like WTF it takes 2 weeks to diagnose a trans? I got a phone call to come and take a look at my car and meet with the service dept. I got there and the GM regional warranty rep was there uhoh! The service director, the tech, my advisor, the regional warranty rep and I were at my car Which at the time started as a crank window N/A 2.2 M/T Cobalt. Is now a twin charged , built head with cams, clutch flywheel, solid motor and trans mounts, lightweight pulleys, nitrous (75), full suspension, short shifter etc. The regional rep asked me to explain my mods so I did. The tech started laughing and everyone else proceeded to laugh as my fate hung in the balance. The rep ask me seriously what do I want, I asked what can we do. He told me they WOULD COVER IT! He said because my father worked there for 15 years and I never asked for the favor they gave it to me. But he finished by saying "Dont ever ask for a favor in my region while I am working". Well that was cool except after it was replaced because everything shattered including the case, the car wouldnt want to go in to gear when it was really hot out. So i traded the car in a month after the trans got replaced. Sometimes you get a surprised. So in summation GM warranty is like a box of chocolates. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2012 eco manual says nothing about 45k maintenance on the manual transmission. I also took mine in at 70k for the tranny whine in 5th and 6th gears at 55-63 mph , and they told me that the fluid was fine and nothing had failed. Refused to repair. I will be returning at 85k since the whine is very noticeable these days at 81k. There are many examples of people on this forum getting their's replaced, so I wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
After you get a new transmission, do it a favor and swap it out for 2.5 quarts of Amsoil Synchromesh ASAP and change it out every 45k miles. The factory fluid IMO just isn't good for this transmission.

·
Administrator
25,108 Posts
My 2012 eco manual says nothing about 45k maintenance on the manual transmission. I also took mine in at 70k for the tranny whine in 5th and 6th gears at 55-63 mph , and they told me that the fluid was fine and nothing had failed. Refused to repair. I will be returning at 85k since the whine is very noticeable these days at 81k. There are many examples of people on this forum getting their's replaced, so I wish you luck.
Download the current (2014 or 2015) owners manual from Chevy and use the service intervals in there. Our 2012 owner's manual leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to routine maintenance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm at 66k miles and noticing the whine/howl in 5th/6th on my eco 6M. I wasn't aware that I had a chance of a trans replacement based on this noise - at least i have time to check it out. Good read!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not replaced the fluid in the transmission. There is nothing in the 2011 manual that lists a fluid replacement is called for, and that is what I'm going by.

The car goes in tonight. My dealer (MacMulkin Chevrolet Cadillac) has been great over the many times I've had to bring the car in for repair, so I am pretty confident that they'll do the right thing. I managed to just squeak under the 100K warranty too (99670 when arriving at work today).

·
Administrator
25,108 Posts
I have not replaced the fluid in the transmission. There is nothing in the 2011 manual that lists a fluid replacement is called for, and that is what I'm going by.

The car goes in tonight. My dealer (MacMulkin Chevrolet Cadillac) has been great over the many times I've had to bring the car in for repair, so I am pretty confident that they'll do the right thing. I managed to just squeak under the 100K warranty too (99670 when arriving at work today).
Since it's not in the owners manual they cannot ding you for not changing the fluid. When you do, make sure they put 2.5 qts in as that's the new spec for our transmission.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts

Moving forward, I would recommend using that manual for fire starter and using the severe service maintenance intervals in the 2015 manual instead.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2015-cruze-owners-manual.pdf

It will save you the headache of another transmission failure down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moving forward, I would recommend using that manual for fire starter and using the severe service maintenance intervals in the 2015 manual instead.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2015-cruze-owners-manual.pdf

It will save you the headache of another transmission failure down the road.
Good advice, I won't be keeping the car long enough to worry about that though. If the noise comes back (assuming the dealer fixes it) the car will be traded in asap).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. As you may know, we're here to offer additional assistance if needed. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured I should update the results.

Dropped the car off last Tuesday night for a Wednesday morning appointment. Dealer didn't "have a chance" to look at it on Wednesday. Thursday the dealer called and said they were just getting around to it (at 5:00 PM) and would have an answer for me in the morning. Didn't hear from the dealer on Friday so I called at 4:00 PM, was told that the car had been "lightly diagnosed" and it was scheduled to have the transmission removed on Monday to see if it was an internal problem.

Just got a call from the dealer 5 minutes ago saying that 3 different people have driven the car and no one heard any noise...

As you might guess...I'm a little bit beside myself at the moment.

·
Administrator
25,108 Posts
I bet they didn't rev the engine either while the car was in gear. I had a dealership tell me that their techs couldn't hear my wheel bearings going out. I took the service adviser for a ride and we hadn't gotten a block when he said "your right front bearings are shot, my techs are deaf."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm honestly at a loss for words at the moment. I'm very unimpressed with how this was handled by them.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
I'm honestly at a loss for words at the moment. I'm very unimpressed with how this was handled by them.
Take up chevy customer care's offer on taking over that issue for you. Dealers are a little more cooperative when they have GM to watch over the case.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts