Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 Chevy crude 3 months ago recently my check engine light came on. I had the code read and it's the MAP sensor and the 3000, 90 day warranty has already expired. I am not knowledgeable about emissions in vehicles and just need to know what I should do.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well, if I read you correctly, you admit to not being one who should mess with things under the hood.......and, you are wise not to if you are unsure of yourself.

There are several other things that can set off a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) code so you must not assume the sensor has failed......it could be trying to tell you there is a vacuum disruption causing it to receive information that is incompatable.

I'm going to recommend a Chevrolet dealer for this one, because.......and this is only an example: The MAP may be getting bad readings due to a small vacuum leak that is developing in the PCV valve.
The valve is incorporated into the cam cover assembly and is not serviceable.

Because it is part of the cover, it falls under a 5year 100k powertrain coverage that your car may still be covered in (time).
If so, no charge to you.......but only a dealer will know where to look, so.......

I might add, if you purchased this car from a Chevy dealer you might consider a GM (only) service contract based on your admitted limited knowledge regarding car repair.......Something to consider.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Sensor codes could be a bad sensor or its doing it job so the ECU is seeing something out of spec. The Map sensor could be called a boost sensor on this car as it is monitoring the airflow off the turbo, out of the intercooler. Its located on the drivers side of the car.

What code are you seeing?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can be the difference being laying out 20 or 300 bucks for this Manifold Absolute Pressure senor. Located at the the center of the intake manifold, one bolt one connector. This is what it looks like.

Main function is to retard ignition spark advance when hitting the gas, engine will stumble, assuming you have the 1.4L turbo engine. And you can see, has an O-Ring at the vacuum port.

This shows the location of all the key sensors.

View attachment 191602

That connector on the lower right are the pins for the MAP, 1 is 5V in, 2 is ground, 3 is the MAP sensor output. By using a hand operated vacuum pump, applying 5 v to pins 1 and 2, and a voltmeter between pins 3 and 2, the output voltage should increase proportional as vacuum is increased from 0 to 20"/Hg.

Over the long years, only had to replace one, major problem is that O'Ring seal, think I said before, I hate O-Rings, would just slap some RTV around it and stick it back in the hole, than good to go, maybe even forever.

Seen some on vehicles where they shove this piece of plastic inside of a hole, least the Cruze is using a bolt.

This is what a better one looks like off a Caddy, wow, two screws, and used a neoprene hose to a metal fitting on the intake manifold with clamps on it. Wasn't a problem.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
For a PT warranty, a "good" Chevy dealer can look up your VIN, read your mileage and tell you if your car is still under warranty. Finding a good dealer seems to be a major problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts