Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well is there a problem with installing one on a 2011 1.8L LS with injen cold air intake? I read its better to install one with the cai but i dont read anywhere about maf's for a 1.8l only the 1.4l but when i bought the maf dude said its for my cruze. Any help please.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Not exactly sure what your issue is... If you are asking whether there is an issue with the air/fuel ratio on the 1.8L with an Injen, I would say not that has been reported yet. On the 1.4 it happens almost immediately. My personal reccomendation would be to just buy another brand. i.e., K&N, although I'm not sure they make one for 1.8L yet...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the thing. Iv seen hundreds for the 1.4 n only couple for 1.8 wat i mean more to say is does it make a huge difference to have a maf or just orginal af sensor installed? I no maf is ovi better for the computer to reconize the amount of air/fuel ratio. But simce it didnt state what type of engine it was made for i dont no if its safe. The 1.4 has maf with it. 1.8 doesnt. If that makes any sence. Does to me....hahaha

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
I'd just try it out with the stock hardware and see what happens. I'm assuming you already bought the Injen?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yea, waiting for it to come in. Got from carid.com with heat shield n hydro cover thingy (forgot name) but got maf from other place. There isnt much choice out there. Like it states, i have the 1.8L

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yea, waiting for it to come in. Got from carid.com with heat shield n hydro cover thingy (forgot name) but got maf from other place. There isnt much choice out there. Like it states, i have the 1.8L

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
I'm not sure why you bought a MAF, the intake is meant to work on your stock system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told i need it for the car computer to understand the more air factor.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
The ECU should be able to do it on it's own, but if you're gonna start modding, you might as well get a tune anyway and not worry about the MAF.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also made sence that i would need the mf due too the high increse air flow and the computer can only reconize so much air flow with the stock sencer where as the maf tells the computer about the higher air flow Which is true

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the 1.8 and an Injen CAI. No problems at all after a year. I'd send the MAF back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i no the pc would no what to do...but wants a good and warrenty safe tuning device? Iv heard of some ghost
od but wouldnt no how to tune it proper im a hands on guy with some computer background.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Trifecta is the preferred tune around here, most of our members have gotten it through insanespeedmotorsports.com

It's the easiest way to tune your Cruze and the support is amazing, not only from ism.com (Steve is on the forum here) but also from Vince (owns Trifecta Performance, wot-tuning.com/trifectaperformance.com)

Best bang for your buck out of all the mods available for the Cruze.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like its $230+200 or 250 for a cable...lil insane for a cable no? And what cable would i need?

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
you can send the cable back and get the 200 back (as a deposit) Trifecta uses their own cable to tune now, but you don't have to buy it. Just send it back when you're done with it. I personally kept mine for future flashes, since there are always updates to get more power. Trust me, if you're going to be modding, this is the mod most worth the money.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to say, the intake isn't going to mess up the ecu. It isn't like the engine is being boosted. Even if the engine takes in 100% of its displacement, the stock system can handle it. Tuning the ecu would bring the most out of upgrades, but the intake is 100% bolt on with all factory parts. You don't need to add maf as this would mean tuning for new sensor, not just plug and play.

There are no worries. If you bought the intake made for your car/engine, then you are fine.

Reactions: boats4life

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so with that all said n done, i was told even if i just install the cai i need to go to the dealer to flash the ecu (sry had a brain fart yesturday on wat its called so left it as a pc or comPuter) sry, thats what i was told for any upgrades to the car. SO is that true?

·
Registered
402 Posts
You don't need any kind of re-flash. Some people have disconnected the battery to reset things after the intake install just so the car can 're-learn'. Not sure who is feeding you all of your information but browse through this site and you'll be amazed at the heap of knowledge about the Cruze from these forum members. As always use the Search function first because I can almost guarantee any question you have has already been answered in one thread or another. And welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, a mechanic. Said i need to come in to flash it. Makea me wonder if they would cancel the warrenty since that call it a mod. But ya i no disconnecting the power would make the ecu relearn so ya. Plus iv learned alot from this site on modding things. Removing parts, and so on. This site rocks. But ya dude can f off.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
They can void your warranty if they know you have an aftermarket intake on your car, thats why the mechanic told you to come in inorder to flash it. You see, if you replace a part on your car, and then something in the internals of the engine breaks later on down the road, they can point the finger at the aftermarket part and say, well we didn't put that on there, and now the engine broke so its obviously that parts fault. Then you're left with paying out your ass to fix your car because your warranty went "poof".

As for me, I have the injen, but I'm using the Short Ram instead of the Cold Air. This is in order to make swapping the stock intake back into my car easy, as I wont need to take the front bumper off in order to get it back on. Then, later on down the road when my warranty is over, I can put the full CAI on and keep it. As for the sensor, Injen, its direct plug n play for the 1.8L as it doesn't need to to deal with feeding a turbo, which for some reason their 1.4L intake cant do it well enough.

For you, I'd say go for the CAI if you really want, but I'd go SRI for an easy 5 minute swap before taking your cruze in for a service. Return the sensor you bought, and don't let your dealer know you got the intake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts