Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, lets see if we can figure out what to do here since the dealership has been no help.

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze with 71k. At 48k, I had the motor replaced due to marks in the cylinder wall. Now, with about 23k mi on the motor, I'm having a whole slew of issues. I'll walk you through what I've checked and done.

Problem started about a month ago with a slightly rough idle and a service traction control light (PCV system right?! no...). I checked the PCV system, the intake manifold check valve is in place, the tube isn't clogged, and there is no hissing from the valve cover.

As time progressed, there began a slight smell of hot metal followed by very light smoke out of the exhaust and low coolant (obviously the coolant is burning somewhere since there is white smoke).

Now, when I start it up in the morning (not driving it, troubleshooting) I get very heavy white smoke from the tailpipe as well as under the hood by the turbo. It is definitely coolant as I can smell it. There is a small drip from the turbo onto the cat and the rough idle still exists.

There is no CEL and no codes. My only thought here is that the turbo is dumping coolant into the exhaust causing the smoke. I'm not sure if this is related to the rough idle or not by no CEL keeps me hopeful its not a head gasket.

Either way, How could I be having issues AGAIN with a NEW MOTOR from GM and the dealership is telling me I'm SOL? I called and spoke with them and the service manager was supposed to call... never did...

Worst part... of course I just paid the car off 6 months ago... selling my motorcycle to do it because I was sick of having a car payment.

Hopefully someone can help!

Sent a PM to Chevy Customer Care but no response yet (I know they're extremely busy!)

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
They never seem to put an engine back the way it came out. How new is this Motor. Even under warranty used or reconditioned parts can be used. You should have at least a 12 month warranty on that repair?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They gave me a loaner for 12 days because they had to wait for it to arrive from Michigan. Motor was replaced Jun 2015

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
You should have at least a 12 month warranty on that repair?
Looking at the numbers given, I think he's beyond that. (2011 with 71k and 23k on the new motor.)

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Looking at the numbers given, I think he's beyond that. (2011 with 71k and 23k on the new motor.)
Yes I need to read better although I wasn't sure if this was a warranty claim. If this was a Cash paid repair with parts installed by the dealer chances are the G.M. Lifetime Parts warranty might apply

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just pulled codes after moving it from the driveway to the street... p0301 and p2227...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Pull out plug #1 and have a look at it. If it looks steam cleaned, that means coolant's going into that cylinder.

From there, buy a cheap compression or leakdown tester, get yourself some results that they're unwilling to do, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
P0301 indicates a misfire in cylinder #1 based on rotation speed of the crankshaft.

P2227 indicates that either the barometric pressure is out of range, or the reading isn't matching what the ECM thinks it should be.

The P0301 does suggest that cylinder #1 is the place to look. I'm not sure what to make of the P2227. It could cause rough running, but not the smoke or coolant smell.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... dropped the car off at the dealership today... they say the CEL but couldn?t replicate ANY of the problems... not bad news I guess since blown headgaskets and massive amounts of smoke don?t typically magically fix themselves temporarily... they?re keeping it and doing a leakdown overnight.

Will update when I hear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts