Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just bought my car used and I had the turbo problems.... Since I really don't know the service history of this car, I am having what a dealer calls 30K service done to it. Whether it is truly necessary or not; I am having it done. It may cost a little but after it is completed, I will know more of the history. They will flush and fill the tranny, flush the coolant. clean the induction system and adjust/inspect the brakes. O and of course wash the car and a 29 point inspection. But I will know more about this used car that threw me when the turbo went out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never had the coolant flushed, induction system went over my head, I had the tranny flushed at 40k miles (book recommends 45k) and my brakes and "29 point" (which includes brakes) done every time she goes into the shop for any work, soon that'll be for a new inspection sticker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
I've never had the coolant flushed, induction system went over my head, I had the tranny flushed at 40k miles (book recommends 45k) and my brakes and "29 point" (which includes brakes) done every time she goes into the shop for any work, soon that'll be for a new inspection sticker.

Coolant is 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first.

Beyond that, it becomes acidic and because it is Dexcool, sludgey.

Brake fluid has a life of ~3-4 years - it absorbs water. Go for an emergency stop, and your brake fluid will boil because of the water in it, and you might hit what you're trying to avoid. Pedal feel degrades over time as well.

Not really things you want to neglect.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts

You have never had your Radiator flushed? This is much better than the garden hose method used everywhere. Radiator shops can do this with high pressure to run through your cooling system. The cost is generally the same. In fact as flushes go the radiator is the only item I've ever had flushed

·
10,712 Posts
How much does something like this cost, if you don't mind my asking....I need to get some flushes done as well.
Depends on the shop. Some bundle it into a $500-$1000 package. My Accord at 100K miles is due for $1800 in work to include valve clearance and a few other things. I mean it could be worse, when I was looking at an 04 E Class one of the recommended items was fuel tank replacement at X miles. I signed out of that forum and said no to the car.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Depends on the shop. Some bundle it into a $500-$1000 package. My Accord at 100K miles is due for $1800 in work to include valve clearance and a few other things. I mean it could be worse, when I was looking at an 04 E Class one of the recommended items was fuel tank replacement at X miles. I signed out of that forum and said no to the car.
Yikes, and I don't even have $500 lmao

·
Registered
635 Posts
Coolant is 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first.

Beyond that, it becomes acidic and because it is Dexcool, sludgey.

Brake fluid has a life of ~3-4 years - it absorbs water. Go for an emergency stop, and your brake fluid will boil because of the water in it, and you might hit what you're trying to avoid. Pedal feel degrades over time as well.

Not really things you want to neglect.
Yea I know, I just haven't driven the car more than 2k miles since last October, I drive her once a week on Sunday for coffee 3 miles round trip, next summer I'm getting the fluids flushed, tires and most likely a bnr

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,876 Posts
So the brown "numbers matching", original brake fluid in my 2007 Cobalt is still good, right? Hahaha.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the car back yesterday and FWIW, it feels like I am driving a newer car again. Whatever was done with cleaning the induction servicing the transmission and else they did it feels to have more power and the alignment makes it drive and handle like a new
car again. IMO it was $500 well spent to the overall improvement in a 3 year old car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts