Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

MDF Speaker Baffle

45K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  juri 
#1 · (Edited)
In June, I'll be building an order of MDF baffles for the Cruze. MDF baffles or speaker "rings" are used to mount speakers securely to the door in a way that won't rattle. These baffles will allow you to fit a 3" deep speaker on our doors while clearing the door panel. The baffles are coated with a 50/50 mixture of wood glue and water to prevent water absorption.

Baffles will be sold for $65 shipped per pair and will be custom built to the specific cutout diameter your speakers require. All prices in this thread are for shipping to 50 US states.

The kit will include:
- One pair of baffles for your specific door speakers.
- 12 self-drilling sheet metal screws for mounting to the doors
- 12 black coarse thread #6 screws for mounting speakers to baffles
- Two strips of speaker gasket tape for mounting speakers to baffles
- Two strips of speaker gasket tape for mounting baffles to doors

Installation will require drilling holes into the baffles to mount the screws and driving the self-drilling screws with a drill/driver.

Participants:
- JerryGash (Silver Flute baffles & big 3 kit)
- Nightmistx22 (Silver Flute baffles & big 3 kit)
- grtpumpkin (Silver Flute baffles)
- cruzer1026 (Silver Flute baffles)
- renaku4 (Silver Flute baffles & big 3 kit)
- dhpnet (Silver Flute baffles & big 3 kit)
- flex014 (RS180 baffles & big 3 kit)

Reply to this thread if your name is not listed above if you want to order a pair specifying the inner diameter you'll need.

Note: If you want a Big 3 kit with your baffles, I will discount the big 3 kit by $10.

See less See more
#8 ·
It was more to gauge how many I have to make. I'll probably end up making 10 pairs based on how many people want some this time. I'll get started next week once the weather isn't in the low 90s anymore.

#10 ·
They're the best way I know to mount the silver flutes, since the cutout diameter is a bit larger than most 6.5" drivers. Silver flutes will be back in stock shortly. Someone had e-mailed them and said last week that the shipment just left for the Madisound warehouse, so they'll get them in any day now.

#17 ·
Do you think you will get another group going end of year or next? I would be interested and a big 3, just have house repairs at the moment and other stuff earlier in the year I had to pay for, plus I will be ordering Amsoil stuff in a couple weeks lol

#18 ·
I have orders for 7 baffles and will make a batch of 10, so I'll have 3 pairs in case anyone else needs them before the next batch.

I should be able to put something together for you later in the year.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I'm assuming these won't stop the **** door panel itself (or parts on it) from rattling with the stock speakers?

Ours has started doing that, and it's pretty annoying. I'm plenty happy with the stock Pioneer speakers for the time being, but not rattles (especially the fronts, since they seem to move a fair amount of air).

#24 ·
As I get closer to starting my SQ build, baffles are now the last item in the making, I picked up an Alpine 8" type R dual voice coil sub in a ported enclosure, Model SBR-S8-4. Went with this as I read good things about it. I was a little hesitant on this as it is ported but I do not have the means or time to construct my own box. I think the port can be closed off if desired. I'm looking for good clean accurate sound. Not looking to pound my sheetmetal & glass. I have no experience with subwoofers so this will be a first for me.
Info on the sub can be found here.
Alpine

Looking for recommendations on a good quality monoblock Amp to drive this thing without breaking the bank. I welcome feedback, both good & bad, on this subject.

R_

#25 · (Edited)
As I get closer to starting my SQ build, baffles are now the last item in the making, I picked up an Alpine 8" type R dual voice coil sub in a ported enclosure, Model SBR-S8-4. Went with this as I read good things about it. I was a little hesitant on this as it is ported but I do not have the means or time to construct my own box. I think the port can be closed off if desired. I'm looking for good clean accurate sound. Not looking to pound my sheetmetal & glass. I have no experience with subwoofers so this will be a first for me.
Info on the sub can be found here.
Alpine

Looking for recommendations on a good quality monoblock Amp to drive this thing without breaking the bank. I welcome feedback, both good & bad, on this subject.

R_
The one thing that most car audio manufacturers (CAM) do not include is a frequency response graph. This will show how the driver performs at a given frequency. A lot of box sub CAM combos are one note wonders, they play very loud at a specific frequency but not at another that they are supposed to play within in their frequency band. Closing the port might fix some of this depending on how it's tuned.

Don't get me wrong they could have actually taken the time and built something pretty awesome. It's the lack of documentation to back up their designs that I'm harping on. All the drivers on parts express and other similar sites have documentation that includes Thiele Small parameters and frequency response graphs. XR does an excellent job of explaining these things here.

As for monoblocks. I have a Power Acoustik BAMF 2000/1D that I am using to power my JBL p1022 in a .75cf sealed box. It has served me well over the years and I don't recall it being all that pricey when I got it. This BAMF should have plenty of power (700W@4ohm) to push that alpine and it can be found for under $150.

#29 ·
Four orders went out yesterday via USPS, and one more is boxed up and ready to be dropped off. Still waiting on payments for the last two but that shouldn't take long.

Thanks everyone for supporting this group buy. I made three pairs of extra baffles in case someone comes across this thread and wants a pair, since I likely will not have time to get another batch made till spring of next year at earliest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.