Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a 1.8 L Header from ZZP Performance for my 2012 Chevy Cruze LS. I'm having a tough time finding a mechanic that will instill this. I found one in Akron but they wanted to charge $500 just for the installation of the header. Does anyone know of a mechanic in Ohio that will install this header? Preferably around Northeast Ohio. Thanks

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Take it to the Lordstown meet and greet there will be plenty of Enthused Knuckle busters there that will be more than glad to help a fellow Enthusiast out .. Cheap .

·
Registered
455 Posts
God **** that's a lot of money not too difficult I'd bring a friend a taco 12 pack from Taco Bell and set a Saturday aside and just do it yourself not as intimidating as it seems

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God **** that's a lot of money not too difficult I'd bring a friend a taco 12 pack from Taco Bell and set a Saturday aside and just do it yourself not as intimidating as it seems
The place that wanted to charge $500 said it would take 5 hours because of everything that would have to be moved to install it. I'm beginning to think they charged me so much because they didn't want to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The place that wanted to charge $500 said it would take 5 hours because of everything that would have to be moved to install it. I'm beginning to think they charged me so much because they didn't want to do it.
You have to go to a performance shop. Regular mechanics hate aftermarket parts because people usually bring the ebay junk that never fits and they get burned on the flat rate quote

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to go to a performance shop. Regular mechanics hate aftermarket parts because people usually bring the ebay junk that never fits and they get burned on the flat rate quote
That was a performance shop that quoted me $500. Smokey's Dyno in Akron.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, got me to look at that ZZP Performance site, that header is suppose to be a direct fit easy DIY installation. Worse part of this job is removing steel bolts from an aluminum head, guess the designers skipped class that day when the subject of electrolysis was covered in dissimilar metals.

But when I am able to remove all bolts without breaking any, gets me to believe in miracles, Would never use an impact wrench, need that hand feel. And sometimes a lot of working those bolts out.

Still the major restrictive element is the catalytic converter. Bypassing this can result in a $25,000.00 fine if you get caught. Cat will really plug up if you are running a tad rich.

Most common problem of this if even with a mild mis-fire, the oxygen sensor, senses oxygen, and says to the ECM, duh, I reading oxygen, you better enrich the fuel mixture. Not only to the cylinder that is misfiring, but to all of them! Call this a self destructive feature of the modern automobile.

We knew about this long before the O2 sensor even went into production and insisted on using one O2 sensor but marketing wouldn't go along with this. As did the EPA, figure if you can't keep your engine in top tune, you can pay the extra price.

Sorry, but this is the way it is. Don't blame engineers, if they don't follow orders will get canned and hire another engineer that will.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, got me to look at that ZZP Performance site, that header is suppose to be a direct fit easy DIY installation. Worse part of this job is removing steel bolts from an aluminum head, guess the designers skipped class that day when the subject of electrolysis was covered in dissimilar metals.

But when I am able to remove all bolts without breaking any, gets me to believe in miracles, Would never use an impact wrench, need that hand feel. And sometimes a lot of working those bolts out.

Still the major restrictive element is the catalytic converter. Bypassing this can result in a $25,000.00 fine if you get caught. Cat will really plug up if you are running a tad rich.

Most common problem of this if even with a mild mis-fire, the oxygen sensor, senses oxygen, and says to the ECM, duh, I reading oxygen, you better enrich the fuel mixture. Not only to the cylinder that is misfiring, but to all of them! Call this a self destructive feature of the modern automobile.

We knew about this long before the O2 sensor even went into production and insisted on using one O2 sensor but marketing wouldn't go along with this. As did the EPA, figure if you can't keep your engine in top tune, you can pay the extra price.

Sorry, but this is the way it is. Don't blame engineers, if they don't follow orders will get canned and hire another engineer that will.
Are you suggesting I don't install this header then?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would be nice if ZZP Performance showed before and have performance and emission results. And guaranteed them.

Ha, satisfaction guaranteed or double your money back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts