Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Perhaps I got a lemon,
Has any one here spent as much time at the dealer as I have?
We own a 2011 Cruze Eco. 3 years, 2 months (mid-year purchase)
After 57,000 miles I can report:
2 new batteries
2 water pump replacements
1 turbo charger replacement
1 replaced connector at the coolant overflow tank
1 "small" heater cable
The passenger compartment smells like a hot engine, so we drive with the vents on recycle, FULL TIME.
The air vents blow hot air, so we use the air at all times
On hot days the car loses power off the line . . . . it's a joke.

We travel, a lot, East coast from CA., Canada and many shorter hwy road trips.

Transmission grabs at odd times and the service dept. at my dealer acts like it's me.

Let us not forget 3 recall repairs . . . .
.... and the front spoiler that fits above nothing, I've become an expert at snapping it back on and replacing the screws . . . .

I will never buy another Cruze!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need to learn how to go about getting this resolved before the extended warranty ends. Going into the next 50k I dread the problems that may arise.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
We need to learn how to go about getting this resolved before the extended warranty ends. Going into the next 50k I dread the problems that may arise.
Do you live in a state with a lemon law? Everything you listed are fairly commonly reported problems with the 2011 Cruze, including the dealer service attitude.. Unfortunately, you've had many of them. Here's a link that will help you start on lemon law issues.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Problems, Defects & Complaints

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Sounds like a lemon. Also sounds like I'd call GM and get me out of my Cruze into a new one.
GM is known for helping people into a new Car! You should see how the Salesmen prey on people in the Service waiting room at my Dealership. Of course you need to purchase a new Car, that is how GM can help!*

*OAC

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Perhaps I got a lemon,
2 new batteries
1 "small" heater cable
The passenger compartment smells like a hot engine, so we drive with the vents on recycle, FULL TIME.

Transmission grabs at odd times and the service dept. at my dealer acts like it's me.

.... and the front spoiler that fits above nothing, I've become an expert at snapping it back on and replacing the screws . . . .

Hey there,

I am truly sorry for this. We would never want your vehicle ownership to be a negative one, and I would be happy to assist you with this if needed. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN and I certainly look into this further for you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Perhaps I got a lemon,
2 new batteries
1 "small" heater cable

Sorry for your problems sounds like a lot. I haven't had near as many problems and I have 2011 1 LT. Keep us posted about the fixes. I have 35,000 miles and had the water pump replaced over a year ago because of coolant loss but after the fix the coolant level hasn't changed. The level just went down and I never had anything on the ground so I guess is was a slow or a small leak and would burn up before it made it to the ground.

I noticed the other day after my car was sitting in the hot sun and I was riding with the windows down and no blower running it felt like hot air coming from the air vents. I didn't think anything of it because I never noticed it before and haven't noticed it since.

I am still on my original battery (knock on wood) but I am hoping to get one more winter out of it and will be looking to replace it along with the tires next fall.

I don't understand what manufacturers are doing with hvac system in cars these days. My wife's 2007 mazda 3s always go to recirculation mode when you turn the fan off and ride with the windows open and you can still feel warm air coming out of the vents. So I don't understand what they are doing and why they have that setup. So I would be interested if you find a solution.

Haven't notice any problems with my transmission (knock of wood) other than they tried to get too fancy with the programming and saving gas. I think they have a good little engine and if they would just let it run instead of playing around with it and the programming of the transmission the car would probably get better gas mileage IMO. I think all manufacturers are doing it and I think they did it on my wife's mazda and it could run better than it does IMO.

I hope they fix your problems and make you satisfied. I think the cruze is good little car with features that other cars in its class don't have.

·
10,711 Posts
What fuel grade and station are you guys/galls using? Have your checked the gap and replaced the plugs? If you are using the stock battery, get it tested before the winter season is in full force. The CCA ratings is what will bite you in the ... when it's cold and you need to get home.

·
5,722 Posts
Hi Patsy,
We'll listen to what you have to say . . . I'll get the VIN tomorrow and send it . . .
Hey there,

Sounds good. I'm always happy to help the best that I can. I'll be on the lookout for your PM soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealership contacted us about our concerns, dropping the car there on Monday, We'll see . . . . .

·
5,722 Posts
We're happy to hear that your dealer contacted you, rgenther! If further assistance is needed you know where to reach us!

Kristen A. (Assisting Patsy)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update, The last Battery lasted 13 months . . . the car is leaking oil . . . we have engine odor in the car . . . The Check engine light is on and my mechanic says it's a vacuum problem (which makes sense, since it idles like a 70s car with a bad tune). Oh don't forget the Intelitrac(or whatever) warning that comes and goes . . . . and let us not leave out the ever familiar odor of coolant(tell tel sign of leaks, we know so well). Oh yeah, and the brakes squeak like crazy .. .. ..
The scary part of this drama is that we don't drive crazy, we are middle aged, we purchased this new car to take road trips(over 50 percent of our driving is highway). But we got the Monday or Friday Hangover Screw the Buyer Car. Now we rent when we take road trips!
No Thank You Very Much GM . . . . . ( Perhaps I should say we got ONE year of no roadside assistance needed)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
Update, The last Battery lasted 13 months . . . the car is leaking oil . . . we have engine odor in the car . . . The Check engine light is on and my mechanic says it's a vacuum problem (which makes sense, since it idles like a 70s car with a bad tune). Oh don't forget the Intelitrac(or whatever) warning that comes and goes . . . . and let us not leave out the ever familiar odor of coolant(tell tel sign of leaks, we know so well). Oh yeah, and the brakes squeak like crazy .. .. ..
The scary part of this drama is that we don't drive crazy, we are middle aged, we purchased this new car to take road trips(over 50 percent of our driving is highway). But we got the Monday or Friday Hangover Screw the Buyer Car. Now we rent when we take road trips!
No Thank You Very Much GM . . . . . ( Perhaps I should say we got ONE year of no roadside assistance needed)
You need a PCV valve (valve cover) and a negative battery cable. Both are covered under extended warranties.

The coolant smell, which is I think what you're describing, is a tricky one, but you could try a new O ring or surge tank cap. If it disappears while on recirculate, it's not the heater box grease issue others have had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately our extended warranty ran out at 72,000, we're 5k past, So I guess we get to repair this faulty Vehicle until we can get into another car . . . Sure wish we got the 100,000 plus miles we hoped for in a new car . . But as I said before, we got the lemon off the line . . . GM does not admit to failures. When I told the service writer about my 3rd battery replacement, he responded with battery brand, I was able to tell him I installed AC Delco . . . and under 20k for each of 4 batteries points to an electrical fault/load in the vehicle electrical system. . . As usual falls on deaf ears . . .
As for the coolant odor, in the past it has been the two water pumps, replaced under warranty and the third time it was some connector at the return bottle.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Unfortunately our extended warranty ran out at 72,000, we're 5k past, So I guess we get to repair this faulty Vehicle until we can get into another car . . . Sure wish we got the 100,000 plus miles we hoped for in a new car . . But as I said before, we got the lemon off the line . . . GM does not admit to failures. When I told the service writer about my 3rd battery replacement, he responded with battery brand, I was able to tell him I installed AC Delco . . . and under 20k for each of 4 batteries points to an electrical fault/load in the vehicle electrical system. . . As usual falls on deaf ears . . .
As for the coolant odor, in the past it has been the two water pumps, replaced under warranty and the third time it was some connector at the return bottle.
Curious to know if you looked into buying supplemental GMPP coverage to take you beyond 72,000? It used to be possible to buy out to 148,000 - but I have no idea what the rules are this calendar year.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts