1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Very cool!

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I've been out near there a few times....when I went to Visit the US base in Vicenza. Because they had a much larger PX than the Base I was working on. If it wasn't so far I'd have done it more often.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Was in Bergamo, Italy about five months ago, driving on a single lane road that ended at a Villa. Was turning around to get out of there, when this guy comes out and says its okay to park here. But we only stayed a few minutes than drove out.

Yesterday received an 87 Euro fine from the Bergamo police department for parking there. Talked this over with my wife, she said, don't argue it, just pay it so I did. Reason, if we decide go back, probably would have the police waiting for me to lock me up.

Heard rumors about police corruption in Italy, they ain't rumors.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Was in Bergamo, Italy about five months ago, driving on a single lane road that ended at a Villa. Was turning around to get out of there, when this guy comes out and says its okay to park here. But we only stayed a few minutes than drove out.

Yesterday received an 87 Euro fine from the Bergamo police department for parking there. Talked this over with my wife, she said, don't argue it, just pay it so I did. Reason, if we decide go back, probably would have the police waiting for me to lock me up.

Heard rumors about police corruption in Italy, they ain't rumors.
Back when I first moved to Italy for work...got pulled over by the Polizia Stradale I spoke enough Italian at the time to understand the fine was12,000 Lira (about $8.00 at the time)...for what? I had no clue. I did hear the woman in front of me arguing with the other cop, and he kept yelling back larger and larger numbers...they escalated to over 100,000 Lira as I was paying my fine to the other cop. Wasn't enough to get upset over...that woman was still arguing when I drove off.

To this day, 27 years later, I still have no idea what it was over. They pulled the lot of us over with their lollypop sticks. And I know we weren't speeding. There were 4 or 5 cars they pulled over all at once.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Was rather angry at first, but sent a very nice letter to their appeals court explaining our side of this story and also enclosed a personal check they have the option of cashing or tearing up.

Time will tell how they respond, will let you know.

My dad was born in Italy, apparently my grandma didn't trust American doctors so I am first generation Italian, ha, they want me back. But my dad told me when growing up, you are in in America now, so you speak a-da English. So never learned how to speak Italian.

Got a new Garmin GPS with the Italian road maps before going over, would have been dead meat without it, but was much slower than here. On those round-abouts, listed as many as 20 towns and never saw a road identification sign. So their maps were worthless to me. Had to go around 2 or 3 times, LOL to get the correct road, several had as many as seven exits.

Managed to get my rental back without a single extra scratch on it, but sure added a bunch of faults to that drawing before I accepted they vehicle they gave me.

In driving through towns around here, can just follow the highway arrow signs, see nothing like this in Italy, and most of the towns were so narrow, barely wide enough for two vehicles. Had to pull over on the sidewalk to let a truck pass from the opposite direction.

Was also dead lost at self service gas stations, but did find full service ones so kept that fuel tank full. $9.57 equivalent for diesel in US gallons. Took my American credit card at tollways, that sure added up at the end of the month.

Key attraction in Italy was cathedrals some taking 700 years to build, ha, no problems in finding shops to buy from. But some problems in trying to walk past some of them without buying anything.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Tuscany was my stomping ground (an still is)....but I've been to a lot of other places. I speak Italian fairly fluently. Learned it all when I was working there. I have three antique Lambrettas In storage there Two are SX200's and one is a LD175. I bough one of the 200's back in 1992 (both are1984), the other 2 I inherited when my father in law passed away a few years ago.

Real tanks on 2 wheels. The one I bought, a 1984, I've been driving since 1992, a month a year, and All I've done was one set of brake shoes, two spark plugs, a set of tires and tubes (because they dry rotted) an a number of bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.