Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil this evening and did my routine intake wipeout, only to find twice the amount of oil as normal with some fine metal shavings (a little bigger than engine bearing flakes) mixed with the oil...

Looks like im headed to the dealer within the next 1300 miles before I hit 100k..

Any ideas Rob?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Mixed with the oil in the intake, not engine oil..
That oil in the intake is also engine oil, right? I'm guessing there's also metal shavings in the oil filter if you were to look that far. A UOA might shed some light on this issue, but I'm no expert. I only stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A bit vague....I am interpeting you wiped out the intake.....as in at the throttle body, and found metal flakes.

Re Describe please.

Rob

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Turbo bearing gone? Check for play in the shaft. It would explain the oil and it could be shaving metal out of the turbo housing if its really bad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I wiped out the intake/tb.
No flakes in the filter.
Oil looked fine when I drained it.
I will have to check the shaft play tonight when 8 get off work.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well the only thing that could shear metal and deposit it there is a turbo breaking up.

Advice: flat bed it to the dealer....if you are seeing metal in the intake tract there is metal being injested......bad ju ju.

If you saved the debris (really hope you did) present it and the car to the dealer......this is not a good thing.

Rob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opened her up yesterday after work and found more oil and metal filings.
I'm not gonna go through the runaround.
It has obviously been ingesting the filings, so anything short of replacing the part creating these and rePlacement of the engine would be unsatisfactory.
We all know it will not be easy to get this accomplished.
Found a new 2014 eco for 16,900 and they will give me 7k for mine with 99k miles on her.
They wanted to give me 5k for her (I owe 5700) but I haggled them up to 7k.
Payments without any additional down will be 260-270/mo.
Less than the old cruze payment when new with 5500 down...
Think its a no brainer...

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Very good luck on a really bad situation. It would be interesting to be able to follow your trade-in to see what becomes of it. I bet it hits the auction yard unchanged.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
It would be interesting to be able to follow your trade-in to see what becomes of it. I bet it hits the auction yard unchanged.
And unless someone spots it, the buyer is likely to get a nasty surprise after it rolls over 100K and is out of power train warranty....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not my problem anymore.
Proud owner of a new '14 eco mt.
Power driver seat, rear cam, mylink.
17,000 out the door.
They even let me tear the dash of the '12 apart in the parking lot to take out my PAC LOC and sub/wiring.
Plus they are going to give me my full splash sheild when I drop off the hacked ones tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Good move man. I love my 14' ctd. From what I hear, the 14's are better than the rest.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like that it plays bluetooth audio from my phone.
The backup cam will take getting used to, I loved the reverse sensors on my '12.
Gonna miss the 15.6gal tank mod though...
Anybody know if the '14 radio plug is the same as the '12?
Hoping I can used the same loc for my sub..

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I don't believe there was any change in the radio plug.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might take the dash apart tomorrow and find out about the radio plug.
I bet the dealer doesn't even find anything wrong with it, they probably wont even look at it close enough to find it.
I notice the new car spools easier/earlier than the old one did, it had to have been the turbo getting ready to sign off..
Topped her off today, clicked off at 4.5 gal, squeezed 8 into her total after 5 min ugh...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I just have to get a catch can and install it.
I still have the old pcv hose ends from the one I replaced on the '12.
What's a good catch can for this car, but easy on the wallet?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
I might take the dash apart tomorrow and find out about the radio plug.
I bet the dealer doesn't even find anything wrong with it, they probably wont even look at it close enough to find it.
I notice the new car spools easier/earlier than the old one did, it had to have been the turbo getting ready to sign off..
Topped her off today, clicked off at 4.5 gal, squeezed 8 into her total after 5 min ugh...
Some of us were wondering if the bearing has enough play in it now that the turbine is scraping the side of the housing.

And also why you saw huge amounts of oil when some of us see none (bad bearing, clogged drain, ???).

Would love to find out why, but I suspect the dealer will just pass it on to the next owner, where it will proceed to blow up and cause the next owner to think its a POS.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Does the turbo impeller have thrust bearings in addition to the rotating bearings or are they combined into a single bearing cartridge?

99K miles on the clock. I bet the dealer had a wholesaler on the car before he signed the paperwork for the new one. Still think tracking the VIN for a couple of months would be an interesting experience.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts