Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michigan bumped the speed limit to 75mph for the north part of my commute on highway 131 north from 70mph.

Naturally people have adjusted their speeds accordingly to 80mph+.
This gave me a chance to test fuel economy at higher speeds since the police wont pull you over until you are doing 10mph+ over the posted speed.

Seems that the best highway speed is about 77-78mph if you are alone. (2200 to 2300RPM) Fuel economy drops off a lot if you are not in a gaggle of cars all doing the same speed when going faster than that.

The eco mode on the DIC still hits as high as 48 to 50 mpg (over 25 miles) at 77mph.

Driving in a gaggle can be fun. I happened to look down while keeping up with traffic with several trucks in front and we were doing almost 90 and the dic said I was still getting 48mpg (instant mpg) going up the long rise before Howard City.

I'm also seeing more sports cars such as Maserati, Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW, and even a Mercedes AMG doing some high speed cruising.

Interesting enough the DIC seems to give heavier weighting to lower mpg numbers. If the instant mpg has been on the high side it takes a while for the average to catch up. Then if you accelerate for 10 seconds you can immediately loose 1 or 2 mpg off the 25 mile average that took you 10 minutes to gain.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Typically, traffic on MI highways moves at 20 over what ever is posted, so an additional 5 mph is not a big deal. I've followed MI State Troupers on I-94 and I-96 at over 90 (no LAS) when the posted limit was 70. Ohio has also raised the speed on rural interstates lately from 65 to 70.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I drive either the speed limit or 5 over.. I am currently driving a lot, this week could be 1000-1500. I realize speed can save time, but with current environment of seeing so many folks distracted with phones, I am not sure increasing speed limits make sense.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
You can get pulled over for going 81 in an 80 here.

I scored the lowest average fuel economy of 22 mpg during a big storm while driving 80 mph. Wind is a **** of a drug.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and **** does the diesel cruze do well on surface streets and highways in the snow with winter tires on.
Feels more planted with more control on ice than the Saturn Vue we have or even the Chevy s-10 I used to drive.

Car drives really well in heavy rain as well.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I seem to get the best mileage around 65-68. If I watch my 30 mile trend ECO DIC monitor, the bar always is max when at those speeds. When I set the cruise to 70 it occasionally dips below the max.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.