1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
611 Posts
I personally (and am) would run the LOW ash. The mid may work just fine as far as oil is concerned, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the emissions system itself (more frequent regens, clogged DPF, etc.). Very expensive components to replace. Not worth the risk IMO. I wouldn't get too hung up on the Dexos 2 label. The oil just has to meet the ACEA C3 spec. Also, the manual calls for 5w30 NOT 40. At the end of the day it's your car and what you do with it is your choice. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea but the low ash doesn't meet that requirement. And while I have a warranty I don't issues with the dealers

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I personally (and am) would run the LOW ash. The mid may work just fine as far as oil is concerned, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the emissions system itself (more frequent regens, clogged DPF, etc.). Very expensive components to replace. Not worth the risk IMO. I wouldn't get too hung up on the Dexos 2 label. The oil just has to meet the ACEA C3 spec. Also, the manual calls for 5w30 NOT 40. At the end of the day it's your car and what you do with it is your choice. Just my $0.02.
the amsoil MID ASH is the one that is ACEA C3

where does it say the amsoil LOW ASH is ACEA C3?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You've made it clear you have no faith in this car and unjustified worry about your warranty keeps you up at night.

Just go buy something with the nice shiney green dexos2 label on the front and be done with it!

Diesel can tell you where to get total quartz or just buy the GM dexos2......

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
611 Posts
the amsoil MID ASH is the one that is ACEA C3

where does it say the amsoil LOW ASH is ACEA C3?
I'm confused. I said I would (and do) run LOW ash oil, not that the amsoil was ACEA C3 spec. I personally run Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and love it. No Dexos 2 label, but meets the ACEA C3 spec.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plasticplant. Same here just need to do the research on what meets acea c3 I'm leaning towards amsoil if I can

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plasticplant. Same here just need to do the research on what meets acea c3 I'm leaning towards amsoil if I can

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I run the mobil1 ESP which stands for emission system protection. 5w30. Have 70000 on the car. Very happy with that oil.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
AMSoil 5w30 low ash euro oil meets VW's 507 standard which is the same as dexos2, well actually it's much more strict. Rest easy.
If it was the same as dexos2 then why doesn't say it meets it or exceeds it?

·
Registered
611 Posts
AMSoil just doesn't want to pay the licensing fee to use the Dexos 2 brand name. I'm still a fan of going by what the owners manual says. As mentioned before, I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. It's not labeled Dexos 2, but it meets the ACEA C2, 3 spec which is stated in the manual. It's been a great oil so far and it's nice knowing that if a dealer try's to pull a fast one I'm covered (without all the headaches of going through the "prove it process" if anything should go wrong and the dealer says it's oil related).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks plastic as long as it says it meets what the manual says that all I need so the dealer cant "void" things

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Because they have their mid-saps 5W-40 that meets it.

The thing these cars require is a lightweight oil (relatively speaking) that has Low-Saps but at the same time have a very stout HTHS of 3.5 or higher. These are special oils and there's many oils without the fancy dexos2 label on the box that meet this. (ACEA C2, C3 spec).

In Layman's terms the oil for these cars needs to be a lightweight oil that won't harm the complex emissions system but still stand up to the abuse of a turbo diesel engine places on the oil. In the past you just threw in a heavy duty diesel engine oil and called it a day but things have changed and technology has advanced.

These low-saps oils attempt to have their cake and eat it too.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
AMSoil just doesn't want to pay the licensing fee to use the Dexos 2 brand name. I'm still a fan of going by what the owners manual says. As mentioned before, I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. It's not labeled Dexos 2, but it meets the ACEA C2, 3 spec which is stated in the manual. It's been a great oil so far and it's nice knowing that if a dealer try's to pull a fast one I'm covered (without all the headaches of going through the "prove it process" if anything should go wrong and the dealer says it's oil related).
I understand them not paying the licensing fee, but like the 5w-40 European oil, it list dexos 2, so if the 5w-30 European oil also meets dexos 2 then it should be listed on the bottle as well, but it isn't. So there must be one piece of the additive package that keeps it from being dexos2. At least that is how I'm seeing it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I understand them not paying the licensing fee, but like the 5w-40 European oil, it list dexos 2, so if the 5w-30 European oil also meets dexos 2 then it should be listed on the bottle as well, but it isn't. So there must be one piece of the additive package that keeps it from being dexos2. At least that is how I'm seeing it.
I guess what I was trying to convey was that the Dexos 2 label means nothing (to me). When I purchase an oil, I look for the ACEA C2, C3 spec. AMSoil's 5W30 does not meet that spec (from what I see) so I won't use it. There could be a million reasons why this oil is not Dexos 2 approved, but that's anyones guess. I guess use what YOU feel comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts