Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For grins I set my cruise at 55mph today for a 8 mile stretch of mostly flat (small rolling hills) highway. This is a 2012 Eco manual, all stock. A/C off, about 62 degrees outside, and engine fully warmed. It hovered at 60-61mpg average over this 8 mile stretch. The average speed was pinned at 55.3mph until I shut off the cruise and took this pic. I think the sweet spot for MPG is between 50 and 55mph. I'm impressed!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice, but why did you wait until you turned off the cruise control before taking the pic?

Now this next bit may get me hanged or at least tarred and feathered, but I'd be OK with a return to the 55 mph limit in urban and suburban areas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, but why did you wait until you turned off the cruise control before taking the pic?

Now this next bit may get me hanged or at least tarred and feathered, but I'd be OK with a return to the 55 mph limit in urban and suburban areas.
I was approaching my turn off the highway and was fumbling with my cell to take a pic, cruise was off and coasting for maybe 5 seconds. I live in a rural area with usually lightly trafficked highways nearby that I might experiment with to find max MPG speed.

I was doing 55 on a 60mph posted highway, and I might as well have been a traffic cone. Traffic flows 65-70 mph in that stretch. I do not favor lower speed limits - let people choose their own speed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Doing your own thing is fine in countries where people are actual drivers, as opposed to passengers who merely occupy the left (or right, as may be) front seat. Driving 200 kph in a VW Golf TDi in Germany and Austria, I felt a **** of a lot safer than any speed on any US highway. Here, holding a steady 65, I have to continually play dodge-em with morons who see nothing wrong with doing whatever speed they want in whatever lane they want.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I was approaching my turn off the highway and was fumbling with my cell to take a pic, cruise was off and coasting for maybe 5 seconds. I live in a rural area with usually lightly trafficked highways nearby that I might experiment with to find max MPG speed.

I was doing 55 on a 60mph posted highway, and I might as well have been a traffic cone. Traffic flows 65-70 mph in that stretch. I do not favor lower speed limits - let people choose their own speed.
I once did 55 on the Capitol Beltway around DC. I passed a single motor home. I was passed by everyone else and felt like I was standing still. The posted speed limit was 55.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Doing your own thing is fine in countries where people are actual drivers, as opposed to passengers who merely occupy the left (or right, as may be) front seat. Driving 200 kph in a VW Golf TDi in Germany and Austria, I felt a **** of a lot safer than any speed on any US highway. Here, holding a steady 65, I have to continually play dodge-em with morons who see nothing wrong with doing whatever speed they want in whatever lane they want.
I couldn't agree more.. This is why there'll never be an "unlimited" speed limit anywhere in North America. There needs to be a stricter enforcement with regards to improper lane use as there is in Europe. Being in the left lane there while you're not passing is a major NO NO. Likewise, being in the right lane and going to fast is also a major NO NO. both of those things there will get you a MAJOR fine. Here, its like "Meh"..... this is what happens when rules aren't enforced properly, people just do whatever they want (or may not be aware of). Believe me, people will learn to stay in the right lane if they're going 55 and not in the left if they're hit with a super expensive ticket (and vice versa).

·
Registered
64 Posts
On a recent trip back from NYC just out of curiosity I decided to stay with the flow of traffic for a bit and my speed ranged from 85-90mph on a regular basis. Once i dropped back down to my normal 62mph i felt like a snail. The posted speed limit was 55! And the people driving that fast are the ones that are complaining about their gas mileage, go figure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting, I've seen speeds closer to 40mph (even below) as my sweet spot. I get 60-74 mpg in an non eco automatic at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts

55 and 60 mph highways are restricted to those speeds for a reason, not for shits and giggles. The design speed is lower.. usually they are urbanized freeways with frequent entering and exiting traffic. Raise the speed limit and watch the death toll soar. The average speed people are comfortable with on highways is 70-80 mph believe it or not. Take off the speed limit and you will find that speed on urbanized highways which is a BAD BAD BAD idea. Turnpikes have 65+ mph speed limits because exits are once every 10+ miles rather than every mile or 2

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
:eek:fftopic:

One of the things a good traffic engineer will do when setting speed limits is monitor how fast people are travelling on that stretch of road. In the past few years CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) has raised the speed limit on various interstates and limited access highways in response to long term monitoring of traffic flows. What they found out is that when the speed limit matches what drivers are doing there are actually fewer accidents on the road. In one case they had to prove to the city of Englewood that raising the speed limit from 45 to 55 made sense. Englewood correctly claimed that there were a lot of accidents on the road. What Englewood's stats didn't show was that the vast majority of them occured during rush hours when the average speed on the road was less than 25. Another change I noticed was raising the I-25 limit from 65 to 75. The fastest cars on the road actually slowed down since they weren't going that much faster than 75 to begin with. Why risk a ticket with the stepped up enforcement when you can go almost as fast and not worry about it.

Now if we could just get the "keep right except to pass" laws enacted and enforced everywhere in the US.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I suspect the MPG sweet spot in the Cruze ECO is whatever speed you can drive in 6th without engaging the turbo (1800 RPM). In the manual this appears to be 50-55 depending on the terrain. I don't have an automatic so I don't know the equivalant speed. Any lower than this speed and you really lose the engine torque needed to pull the car up shallow hills.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
That's pretty much how it is in Chicago too......except during rush hour (which lasts 3-4 hrs) and the speed changes to 20-30 mph. That is except for the azzhats that still go 60 on the shoulder! :dazed052:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts