Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have my new toy (Edge Insight CTS). This post will be the first of a series for those interested in DPF, soot, regens and the like.

First test: How many miles can I drive before an additional gram of soot is accumulated?

Answer: About 158. Mostly highway with the occasional WOT. Watched it tick from 13-14, hit the trip odometer then watched it tick from 14-15.
IMG_6033[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
So this is a tuner or just a way to monitor what's going on?

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed it is just a set of gauges, but the "Power Level I" makes it look like it's tuned.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Diesel how big a unit is that? be great if you could get a small round gauge that you could mount somewhere an look like it belongs there.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel how big a unit is that? be great if you could get a small round gauge that you could mount somewhere an look like it belongs there.
The Edge Insight CTS measures 4-7/8 x 2 x 7/8.

I am trying to find a good home for it. For now, I set it in the tray on the dash.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I had a chance to drive a few hundred miles. It averaged out to about 60 miles per gram of soot until it hit 19 grams, at which point it triggered a regen. After that, the first few grams came back fairly quickly, but once it hit 9 grams, it has remained there for 50 miles or so including some traffic. I am not sure at this point why I was able to go 150+ miles earlier, but then again I haven't cycled back through 13-14 grams yet.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow just priced one of those out. More than I had expected.

I would get one, just don't know where I would mount it.

I want to see how many grams are already in my cars system after a regen. Your other post on life expectancy of the DPF got my curious.

·
Registered
666 Posts
diesel whats the regen on the bottom left ???

·
Registered
666 Posts
also which model # is this one I know they have a few different ones

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is supposed to be a count of regens but it doesn't seem to work.

EDGE PRODUCTS Insight CTS Monitor 1996 & Newer OBDII Equipped Vehicles 83830 new
Do you have to buy the extra probe to get the EGT reading? If so, how difficult is it to install and where did you install it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any more data on this? Just installed my scan gauge last week and soot seams to accumulate pretty quickly compared to your findings. From a trip on Saturday in the morning after a regen it was at 3 and then back up to 16 when arrived home this was at the most a 80 mile trip with about 4 stops for errands. 70% highway 30% city.

Also # of completed regens is at 83 for 23,000 miles on the car which looks high compared to other members numbers.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Any more data on this? Just installed my scan gauge last week and soot seams to accumulate pretty quickly compared to your findings. From a trip on Saturday in the morning after a regen it was at 3 and then back up to 16 when arrived home this was at the most a 80 mile trip with about 4 stops for errands. 70% highway 30% city.

Also # of completed regens is at 83 for 23,000 miles on the car which looks high compared to other members numbers.
The readings the vehicle gets from the sensors don't appear to be very accurate. I wouldn't put any faith in readings below 15 grams. Anything above 15 grams seems to be more accurate and anything above 20 should be noted as a regen could begin within the next 1-3 grams of accumulated soot. I find my regens typically occur around 22 grams.

As for your number of regens, 83 seems fair for 23,000 miles. I have about half your mileage and am at 22 regens. I drive my car very conservatively and if you drive more city or have a heavier foot, you may experience more regens. I'd say the amount you have for your mileage is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I wonder if fuel quality can be related to soot accumulation?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I wonder if fuel quality can be related to soot accumulation?
Absolutely. Diesel bio fuels can cause larger amount of soot buildup. They don't burn as clean as regular diesel fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So far this is the data I have. Wife is the main driver so I would be speculating on driving habits but would say semi conservative.

Livetrash 12,000? Miles 22 regens. Avg 545 miles between regens
Plasticplant 52,500 Miles 109 regens. Avg 481 miles between regens
Myself 23,000 Miles 83 regens. Avg 277 miles between regens.

Hopefully others will chime in with some numbers.

Will continue to monitor soot accumulation paying closer attention to 15 grams and above.

Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
So far this is the data I have. Wife is the main driver so I would be speculating on driving habits but would say semi conservative.

Livetrash 12,000? Miles 22 regens. Avg 545 miles between regens
Plasticplant 52,500 Miles 109 regens. Avg 481 miles between regens
Myself 23,000 Miles 83 regens. Avg 277 miles between regens.

Hopefully others will chime in with some numbers.

Will continue to monitor soot accumulation paying closer attention to 15 grams and above.

Thanks Guys!
My average between regens is much lower than 545 miles. You can't just divide 12,000 by 22. That won't give you anything anywhere near accurate. As I mentioned, it all depends on how you drive. An average accumulation of soot isn't really a calculation that's accurate or worth anything as a value. The distance between my last 2 regens was about 140 miles. This distance also takes into account the fact that I did not complete a full regen on the highway. I tested out diesel's method of sitting in a lot holding the RPM's to 2000 to burn off some soot. He mentioned in another thread that the soot accumulated much faster than if a regen is completed at highway speeds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the number the scangauge reporting a total number of regens or just completed regens? It was my understanding that it was completed regens. If it is reporting total regens completed or not then yeah none of the above numbers are valid.

I understand different driving conditions will change the amount of miles between regens. The numbers I posted are to give a quick reference over the life of different vehicles. Looking at the numbers it would be safe to say your completed regens happen half as often as mine.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Sometimes the soot accumulates very quickly, like 10 grams in 15 miles, and other times I have gone 750 miles on the same gram. My shortest observed regen was like 389 miles and my longest was about 1000. I need to enter the xgauge info to get my regen count. hope to do that soon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts