Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Minor collision with cruze, would like to see people's opinions

5990 14
A week ago, I was going to take a right turn through a yield sign at a 4 way intersection. The person in front of me went almost all the way through it, but pulled to the side and stopped abruptly because a car had been coming through they didn't see. I had a lot on my mind and assumed he had gone through it, and was looking to my left to see if any cars were coming before I went through. Because he was off to the side I did not see him in my peripheral vision and could not come to a stop in time, so my right corner hit his back left corner of his bumper.

Even though I was at fault, it was an older gentleman with an older car with only damage to his cheaper bumper, so he said we didn't have to bother with insurance. My phone was broken and I wasn't thinking straight, so I didn't get his information. Where I live you don't have to file a police report if damage is under $2000, which I thought was the case, but may not be.

I am in a difficult financial situation at the moment can't afford any repairs and have been advised not to go through my insurance (although personally I wish I had have, even if it meant higher premiums). my friends dad who is a mechanic said it was just a matter of buying a new fender and bumper and headlight (the headlight itself is fine but the plastic piece where it connects to the fender broke and we have a temporary fix on it right now) but I am worried if there could be structural damage etc

if its just a matter of getting a new bumper, headlight and fender that I can live with, im just worried if anything else could be wrong. have you guys seen cruze's survive worse?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not the Cruze persay but I was driving my finances Kia (to be honest those are great cars but made with cheaper materials so don't handle as well in crashes, I've seen throughout all kias and Hondas and rotates etc. but that's personal experience) and merging right to get around a car taking a left turn, an older Jeep Wrangler tried closing the gap between him and the car in front of him so I couldn't get in and I hit him very similarly, my front right corner and his rear left corner, not any damage to his car but my finances Kia needed a new headlight me bumber and the fender was repairable, similar to your case however I can reassure you I was going much faster than you probably were and no structural damage at all, I know it's not the same car but I hope this comforts you some. Beautiful color on your Cruze btw!!

2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
How long ago? If not too long go ahead and file with your insurance company. GM is really proud (read: expensive) of their replacement parts. From just the visible damage you're looking at $676.06 in parts (MSRP) without tax or labor. This doesn't include bolts or any hidden damage. Also, you may want to replace both head lights ($192 each) to ensure the light output is consistent - headlight housings yellow with age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the accident happened a week and one day ago. I don't mind paying up to $1800 out of pocket because that's what my tax return should be around, because I'm a student. even if its a bit more that's ok. the problem isn't really the higher premiums but that I would have to pay a high deductible anyway, and I do not have any of the other driver's information so it may make the process difficult. I cant afford the repairs right away so that's why im wary of bringing it in anywhere and them telling me I need all this stuff fixed right away and then not having a car for a few days or more (no way can I afford a rental right now either).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just really hoping there isn't any structural damage or anything that writes it off. tbh im past my materialistic phase so I don't care what the car looks like just that it lasts until the loan is up (6 more years unfortunately) and im just hoping it costs $2,000 or less to fix. I should have never gotten a new car to begin with but its too late to get hung up on that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How much is your deductible? If you can afford it go the insurance route. It really shouldn't go up much from one accident. Unless you keep having accidents one shouldn't ding you much. Your insurance might just write you a check then you can get it fixed when ready. Make sure you use the money for the car and nothing else. Structure wise it should be fine from that accident.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the deductible looks like it will only be $500 which I could borrow from my parents to pay, not sure how it will affect premiums though. I've only been paying an average of $115 a month on a brand new car for full coverage insurance and I've only had my license 4 years. looks like thats because there's a "first chance" policy, so who knows what it would be after an at-fault accident. my only concern is going to insurance now when police weren't called to the scene and it been over a week since the accident and I have absolutely no information on the other driver. honestly, as long as there isn't frame/structure damage I'd rather just pay out of pocket

·
Banned
9,198 Posts
Deer ran into our Cruze only doing minor damage to that right front fender, repair cost was slightly over a thousand bucks. Fender was only 97 bucks, but cost over 900 to replace and paint it.

Would have been far cheaper if Lordstown only provided prepainted parts, but the dealer claims they can't do the proper color matching that is a line of BS. They can do a far better job than any dinky little local paint supplier.

This outfit sells a prepainted bumper for $225.00 with free shipping.

New 2011 2012 2013 2014 Chevy Cruze w O Chme RS Front Bumper Painted GM1000924 | eBay

This outfit sells a prepainted right front fender for $234 with free shipping.

*NEW PAINTED TO MATCH* Chevy Cruze Front RIGHT FENDER 2011-2014 Passenger side

This job is strictly what we call a bolt on repair.

·
Banned
9,198 Posts
Sent seven kids to college, not their fault all the time, some terrorist would hit their parked cars, at their age, collision and comprehensive was out of the question. But using easy solvent paints back then so would paint them myself. Water based equipment is far more expensive, getting too old for this kind of stuff.

Last daughter was hit, repair shop estimated $2,500.00 and she got a check from their insurance company for that. Repaired it myself for about 100 bucks worth of parts and paint, looks like new, and used the other $2,400.00 to put a minor dent in her college tuition cost.

Ha, when I went to college it was four bucks per semester hour and another ten bucks for all brand new books you could keep. Today, kids have student loans for the price of a home, and can't even find a job.

Know where you are coming from.

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I would just drive it as is, save your money if your in school. That tiny dent just gives your car some character.
If the headlight mounting hadn't been damaged I'd agree with you. OP stated the head light is being held on with duct tape.

·
Banned
9,198 Posts
Guess I didn't read that far, lens doesn't look cracked, probably a broken plastic tab that can be glued back on. Really can't tell much from a photo, could practically push out that dent in the fender with my bare hands, use a body hammer to take out the wrinkles and get some touch up paint. Already got a spray can for my Cruze, exact color match, but didn't nee it yet.

Bumper could be sanded, primed, sanded and also a color coat. New lens for the marker lamp, also looks like he lost a wheel cover. One son hit a large deer, bent the front fender, rubbing on the wheel, and couldn't close the hood. Other son was reared ended by some idiot running into it when parked, just ran and left it that way.

Both I straightened out by hand, didn't care about the fine wrinkles so left it, but could close the trunk and the hood. Its not that I am superman, just making these things weaker than a tin can. But both were driveable. That's all that counted for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The headlight itself works fine, but the picture I posted was of the car after we did very minor repairs. the fender part had actually pushed into the headlight, knocking it out of place. there was a piece of plastic where the headlight connected to the metal part, and the metal part got bent up and the plastic snapped. we managed to bend the metal back into place, my friends dad drilled a small hole in the plastic and we tied the plastic to the metal with one of those plastic tie things (the durable ones). so technically, the headlight is locked into place but is not perfectly aligned.

as for the tires, my winter tires are on different rims from my summer tires and the winter tires don't have hubcaps that's why the wheel in the picture doesn't have any.

·
Banned
9,198 Posts
Just heard on our local news, some kid in our county drove into the side of a bridge on our narrow county road, they suggested he was distracted. He is no longer with us, did not give a name, want to contact his family first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.