Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Cruze for going on seven years and up until the other day my windshield was in perfect condition. I was driving along on a four lane highway (going about 65mph) and I noticed there was one of those double gravel trucks driving relatively slowly in the right lane. I wanted to get around it to avoid a stone chip to the windshield. Ironically when I was passing it, I heard one stone hit my windshield. Then about two seconds later another stone, this happened another two times (for a total of four stones). It was very annoying!

So, I pulled over and assessed the damage. There was one stone pit (not chip or crack) in the middle of the windshield closer to the driver’s side (so I see it while driving now). There are three other ones all scattered on the passenger side. They about 2mm in diameter. The one on the driver’s side has this black speck in it, it looks like a bug hit the windshield.

I took it to an auto glass place and they are not deep enough to get filled. So my only option if I was to get this fixed is to get a new windshield.

Has anyone had something similar to this happen? If it were your car would you get it fixed, or just live with it? The marks on the passenger side do not bug me, it is more the one in the middle.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Come winter time. When it gets cold and you're running your defrost. The cracks will get worse. Probably deep enough to repair. Maybe not and a new windshield will be in order.

The cheapest fix would be a wrecking yard for the removal. And a glass shop for the installation. It's what I did when my aftermarket rear window defrost turned out to be a POS. I pulled a stock window that had the grid already built in. The car didn't originally come with it.

But even new. It shouldn't be that expensive. Even if you have to use your insurance if you have it as part of your insurance.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If the auto glass shop says they are not big enough to worry about or fix, then you should not have to worry about it cracking down the road.

I agree blemishes in line of sight are annoying, i have a couple of them myself. There are several kits on the market to do self repairs at home. Look for a kit that comes with small plastic squares, usually to do the final smoothing on the deeper repairs. Use these plastic strips and the UV resin provided in the kit to reduce the visibility of the shallow blemishes. I have done this with some success in the past. They will never be totally invisible but it greatly reduces how noticeable they are.

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
Tell your insurance company. Normally these are repaired without cost to you. Let them decide whether or not to repair or replace.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Never worry about it in Arizona as most reliable insurance companies provide free replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts